Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Advice Please :(

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kirsty
    Thanks

Advice Please :(

Hi everyone.

I have a Grey Indian Ring Neck, his name is Bailey. He's around 9 months old now.

I hand reared him from a very early age and he's a very lovely (but very full on) little boy.

A couple of weeks ago I got 2 baby Fischer Love Birds. One I am keeping, the other a friend is taking. Since these birds have arrived, his aggression has just exploded.

I've been extremely careful with the way I've been with the babies. Bailey has seen me feed them, but never actually playing and interacting with them.

I've kept with the same routines etc but Bailey has just gone feral Biting me at any chance he can, especially if he's being naughty and I have to reprimand him.

I'm not sure if it's a mixture of his hormones and the other birds being here, or whether it's just due to the birds I've been trying to pay more attention to him, but it's so so hard when he is so aggressive.

If anyone has any advice for me, I would be extremely grateful.

I'm really hoping this is something he and I can work through, he used to be such a calm boy, but now he just seems to be on edge and cranky all the time.

Thanks
    Kirsty

Name
    Marilyn
    Thanks

Re: Advice Please :(

IRN's can be very territorial and if Bailey has been an only bird for awhile, he is acting agressive to defend his territory.....you. If you intend to keep the lovie then Bailey will have to learn to share you with another bird. I'd be careful not to allow Bailey the upper hand by not interacting with the lovie. If he sees you playing with the lovie, then you put the lovie up and get him out, he should catch on that you aren't abandoning him for another bird.

If he is old enough, his hormones are dictating his behaviour as well. Most of our birds see us as their mates and do not like having another mate in the house. Even though he is aggressive, you should keep to your normal routine. If you allow him to change your routine, then he will quickly realize he has the upper hand and can change your actions by biting and being aggressive. Continue to reprimand him whenever he is naughty and do not allow him to turn his aggression on you. Give him lots of preening toys, or toys he can destroy to work out some of his aggression.

Good luck with Bailey, sounds like he is a sweet guy, just a little confused.
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." Mark Twain

1 Cockatiel: Bandit
    1 White Capped Pionus: Cotton
    2 Sun Conure : Pebbles and Petrie
    2 Normal GCC: Winkie and Tiki
    1 Pineapple GCC: Patches
    1 Cinnamon GCC: Cricket
    1 Yellowsided GCC: Angel
    1 Quaker: Dusty
    1 BlackCapped Conure: Olive

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kirsty
    Thanks

Thanks so much for your response. Makes total sense!!!!

I've made a point of spending a little bit more time one on one with him. We have breaky together every morning, so today I made his favourite, which is eggs on toast. Just from that I've seen a change in him.

I feel horrible that I've done this to him

He wasn't an only bird. We had a cockatiel but he sadly passed away early April this year. So he's been by himself for a little while. I've decided that Ollie (our love bird) can spend time with my husband and the kids. Bailey doesn't really like anyone else in the family.

He's started getting the black ring around his neck so I would say his hormones are also affecting his behaviour.

I stumbled across quite a few toys the other day, so I'll make sure to give him one of them.

He definitely is a sweet little guy He's a gorgeous gorgeous bird. Love him to pieces.

Here he is

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4951278_n.jpg
    Last edited by *~Bailey~*; 05-27-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Hadn't finished, hit enter by mistake.

Name
    Beth
    Thanks

What a handsome boy!!! I hope he continues to settle down with the new lovie around Teenage boys, eh??

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kirsty
    Thanks

Thanks, yes I think he's pretty darn cute He's definitely settled down a lot. Apart from feeding the lovies, I've not done anything with them. My kids and husband have. So I think he's realised that he means the world to me

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kirsty
    Thanks

Okay I'm back again, Bailey has turned so vicious! Don't know what to do, I'm persevering as much as I can, with standing the bites etc, but there's only so much I can take He's lunging at me at every chance he can get. Whether I'm walking past the cage, to him happily coming out, sitting on my shoulder, then all of a sudden he's attacking my ear :'(
    I've read a lot on the stage of 'bluffing' but am not sure if he qualifies for that due to his age....? I am almost certain that it's hormonal, due to his erratic behaviour. If someone can clarify?

I try very hard to ignore his bad behaviour to show him that it will NOT get a reaction out of me.

I would be very very thankful for any advice on what I can do. I'm willing to put the hard yards in, but if there's something I'm missing or not doing, I'd love to hear more about it.

Thanks.
    Kirsty

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

It's sounding more like hormones and they are unfortunately nasty. Wish I had more words of wisdom for you but hopefully someone else will. Keep your chin up and remember that it's something like having a teenager in the house.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Alfred
    Thanks

Its a behavior problem.For a few days you must keep your parrot separate and spend time on hi,.I hope he will recover soon because birds have quality to learn quick.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Well, I have never had an IRN. So I probably don't have as much insight as some others.

My thought, though, is that if you are seeing is pure, irrational hatred and anger at the mere sight of the lovie, then there might not be much you can do in the immediate future. My african gray, Tolkien, and my conure, Wesley, have a longstanding rivalry and I doubt I can convince them otherwise. In their cases, some long term exposure has helped. They come out together every day, and every day they eye each other and scream a bit back-and-forth. Tolkien has a secret desire to beat Wesley up, and Wesley is continually afriad Tolkien will try. Sometimes Tolkien tries. Sometimes not.

That said, this is not too bad, mostly because they don't attack each other most of the time (unless Tolkien sees a good opening, or I accidentally let them get too close). They also don't take chunks out of me (usually). I can have one perched on one hand, and the other on the opposite. They can be in the same room. I just have to be careful not to let them get too close.

Prolonged exposure to each other does have a moderating effect, but it doesn't remedy their basic feelings. As a result, I think it would be practical to keep trying mutual exposure to hope for some adjustment. But you may need to give yourself a break, too, and try letting the two birds out separately so that they can relax and you can enjoy them. (Hopefully your IRC calms down when the lovie is not present)?
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Remove Ads