Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with mutations (dark factor and violet)

Thanks

help with mutations (dark factor and violet)

Hello all,

I recently got my first pair of lovebirds, and I was wondering what mutations they were. I am pretty sure that the male is aquaturquoise (seagreen), am I right? I can tell that he is not double dark factor, is he a single dark factor? Also, does he have violet? If so, is he single or double?

To me, the female looks like a single dark factor double violet factor whiteface blue. Is that right? Or is she single factor violet only?

Thanks so much for your help!

Here is a picture (female on right):

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I can take more pictures if I have to. Just let me know what kind (side view, sunlight, flash, etc.).
    Last edited by d3n2; 06-12-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

Re: help with mutations (dark factor and violet)

Male does indeed look like an AquaTurquoise. Hard to say whether he carries a dark factor - take photos from the rear so we can see the rump. Never use the camera flash, try take photos in natural light.

The female looks like a SF violet D turquoise. She could be DF violet, but more photos would help again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mask View Post
    Male does indeed look like an AquaTurquoise. Hard to say whether he carries a dark factor - take photos from the rear so we can see the rump. Never use the camera flash, try take photos in natural light.

The female looks like a SF violet D turquoise. She could be DF violet, but more photos would help again
    Thanks mask!

I took more pictures of them under the sun. Sorry the photo quality is not amazing, and they appear washed out. It's because I've been using my phone. Anyway, hope they are good enough. Hope they help!

pair:

pair_2:

pair_3 (the female is in front, but the male's rump is visible in this picture):

female:

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

SF violet D AquaTurquoise
    DF violet D turquoise

Thanks

Thanks again mask! I figured as much, just needed expert opinion!

I'm glad the male has both dark and violet, for DD and DVF babies!

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

If you breed them, you will be more certain

Thanks

Your birds are beautiful.

Thanks

Thanks Anfsurfer!

Mask, yes, I thought so too. I've neen playing around with the Genetic Calculator, and apparently Dark Factor and 'the blues' are linked. Seems like if the male has a dark factor, it could be linked either to the Aqua or the Turquoise. Very interesting. I hope it's linked to Turquoise (more DD Turquoise babies, instead of DD AquaTurquoise).

I just introduced a nest box to them, and they got excited! I was worried they'd be flustered, but within minutes of installing the box, both birds were sticking their head in to explore, and a couple minutes later the male jumped in! Then the female went in! Then both of them! They were softly twittering to each other. As you can tell, I'm quite excited as well! I haven't added stuff in the nest box yet, I know I have to add some sort of wood shaving. I was thinking coconut husk, as I have easy access to them here. The guy that sold them to me said they've been bred before, I hope they're not too old..
    Aether - SF Violet D AquaTurquoise Peach-Faced Lovebird
    Nyx - DF Violet D Turquoise Peach-Faced Lovebird
    Açaí - DD Turquoise Peach-Faced Lovebird
    Damasco - D Orangeface Ino Peach-Faced Lovebird (could be SF Violet and PallidIno)
    Durian - DF Violet D Turquoise Pallid Peach-Faced Lovebird (could be SF Violet)

Thanks

Hey Mask, I was thinking of getting a pair of blue Masked Lovebirds. I know the species also has co-dominant dark factor and violet. Is there a way to tell if a bird that is DD has no violet, SF Violet or DF Violet? Also is there a way to tell if a bird is DF Violet D? Aiming for a pair of DF Violet D Blue and S/DF Violet DD Blue.
    Damasco - D Orangeface Ino Peach-Faced Lovebird (could be SF Violet and PallidIno)

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

Generally DD blue will mask out any violet factors. A single violet factor is close to impossible to distinguish. Some say you can tell by the colour of the feathers inside the wing, or by the petroleum shine across the mantle. Personally, I have never seen it with my DD violet birds. Bit of a myth if you ask me.

Violets come in a few various forms, I colour coded them to show which ones look similar:

SF violet blue - this bird looks similar to a D blue bird, very difficult to tell them apart. NOT visually violet
    DF violet blue - this bird looks similar to a SF violet D blue bird. Visually violet.
    SF violet D blue - this bird looks similar to a DF violet blue. Visually violet, the most beautiful representation of the violet mutation.
    DF violet D blue - this bird is a deeper, darker more intense violet than a SF violet D blue. Visually violet

Generally, when someone talks of a violet bird, they are refering to a SF violet D blue. DF violet they are refering to DF violet D blue. In European show standards, accepted violet birds have 1 dark factor with 1 or 2 violet factors.

I know someone in the US with various violet (sf+df) and DD masked, she has wonderful birds, probably the best i've seen over that side of the pond. I can pass her info on if you are interested (and in the US of course!).

Thanks

Thanks for all the info Mask!

Too bad I'm not in the US, or I could get from your friend..

Went to look at personatas today, they only had weak looking ones that looked like hybrids or had some sort of Fischer or Peachfaced mix.. Instead, I got pied Peachedfaced! Might need some help figuring out which parblue, dark factor and violet factor they are. Will post pictures soon!

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

Which country are you in? It's not easy breeding quality masked, keeping the dark mask and the clear neck requires quite selective breeding.

Thanks

I'm in the Philippines.

Yes that's what I saw with the personatas today, most had white on their face. Kind of like the face of a Peachfaced, but smaller..

Anyway, I decided to get some pied Peachfaced instead. Been wanting to get a pair from the start. One looks like DD, the other D. One or both have violet factors as well. I just hope they ARE parblues. I'm afraid one of them is an edged or cinnamon or pallid or some other mutation that I'm not really interested in.. If they have pale, faded faces that means they are parblue, right? Will post pictures soon!
    Last edited by d3n2; 06-16-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks

Alright, here goes. I hope the pictures are not too washed out. They look a little scraggly as I JUST got them and they haven't settled in yet. Now that I've looked at them a little more carefully, they both look like Turquoises. The male one is supposedly the 'darker' one and the female is the 'bluer' one. Though I may have gotten it mixed up. Lemme know also if you get any hints on their sex. Thanks!

pair:

pair_2 (sorry it's kinda blurry):

pair_3 (close-up):

pair_4 (clear view of the female's rump):

male:

female:

female_2 (rump is kind of blocked by the pearch, but it's still visible):

EDIT: I take back what I said. The female might be Turquoise, but the DD male is probably AquaTurquoise. I think he's too green to be a Turquoise. The light face and pink-ish beak confused me. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by d3n2; 06-16-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

I'd say...

Dominant pied SF violet D turquoise
    Dominant pied DD AquaTurquoise

The AquaTurquoise could well be a turquoise, it is quite difficult to tell.

Nice birds, I wouldn't have a clue about the sex though, sorry!