Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bay
    Thanks

New cockatiel squawking/making loud noise all day?

Hey all,

My brother got a male cockatiel for his birthday a day ago, I'm not sure if it was hand fed or not, but I'm going to guess no for now. Well, it was fairly quiet and well behaved at the pet store, but when we brought it back home, all it did was make extremely loud screeching while walking back and forth on its perch in the cage. Thing is, it's been doing that all day that day (literally, nonstop) until night, when it went to sleep. My brother's ears have been ringing since then.

This morning we took the cover off it's cage, and shortly after it started doing it again - from early in the morning until now (3:50 PM), nonstop. I've tried talking to it a bit and making whistling noises, but that only seems to keep him quiet for a very short amount of time.

I was reading that this can be due to the 'tiel being unfamiliar to it's new environment, should I leave him be for a few days first to let him become familiar with the environment, then start interacting with him? I'm not sure what to do now, I've read many different things people've said to do but he doesn't really respond to any of them. He also hasn't started hissing or biting either.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Re: New cockatiel squawking/making loud noise all day?

Could feel off in a new house. Maybe bird feels scared now. Week or so more should calm down. Long as bird does not bite, things are not too bad. Walgreens sells ear plugs cheap, you won't hear the noise with them in tour ears.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bay
    Thanks

Is the high pitched noise making normal though? He also paces around the cage and climbs around constantly. I'm not sure if he's eating, although I did catch him eating some yesterday, but not for long.

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Whenever my cockatiels pace around the bottom of their cage, it's because they want to come out. Do you give him out of cage time regularly?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bay
    Thanks

He's never paced around the bottom, only at the top. We just got him 2 days ago so we weren't sure about letting him out of the cage yet, since it's going to be hard to get him back into the cage.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Was the bird in a cage with others at the pet store? Perhaps his brothers and sisters? He might be missing his flock-mates. He will need time to recognize your family as his new flock. How old is the bird? Tiels do take awhile to adjust to new surroundings - depending on the bird, it can take days, weeks, or months. Try just sitting and talking to him quietly every day for at least a week before letting him out. There are many factors that can cause his current behavior, but I'd be inclined to blame the problem first and foremost on adjustment to his new home.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bay
    Thanks

I think he's about 10 months old. He didn't have any cockatiels in the same cage, but the cage he was in was in a large room with many other birds. I guess I'll try sitting down and talking to him (I admit, feels a little weird) and hope that he adjusts.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Where is your brother in all of this? Isn't it his bird? There is nothing weird in talking to an animal that needs calming down, and is frightened and disoriented.

Name
    Rasa
    Thanks

It's a bit tricky with giving the new bird flying time regularly... I've been thinking of letting Jazz for a fly around, but I'm a bit worried that I won't manage to get him back to the cage. Especially that he's still affraid of us getting close to the cage or changing food there, so getting him to us so we can get him back to the cage is quite complicated...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bay
    Thanks

My brother does the same thing I do, we're both in the same situation. We tried talking to him and he quiets down when we do, but he still paces around his perch/top of the cage. When we stop momentarily, he starts again.

Also I'm not sure about letting him out yet either, since I doubt I'll be able to get him back in so easily...

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Try leaving a radio or TV on for him, he's probably just scared because he's in a new place and all the noises/smells he recognizes are gone.

Name
    Bobbi
    Thanks

I have my cages by windows. Mine enjoys seeing the outside. He gets very excited when geese and ducks are in our yard. Just make sure that if you put your cage by a window that it is not drafty in the winter. Also, leaving a radio on helps. Do not feel strange talking to your tiel. They love the interaction and it will help them to bond with you. I am constantly talking and whistling with mine. After a few days, he should begin to calm down.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bay
    Thanks

Yeah mine is also sort of by the window, not right next to it but somewhere near it. There isn't much draft at all where I live so I think I'm fine. I'm leaving the radio on and see how that goes.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

I have two suggestions to make. One is to call the store and ask if your tiels wings were clipped and if so, how long ago. It'll give you some idea of whether your bird can fly or not.

Second one is this. Did the cage he was in at the pet store have a back to it or was it out in the open? If it had a back to it or was up against a wall, you bird might be extra spooked because he doesn't have a sense of security in that his back isn't protected. Maybe try pinning a towel/blanket or some material along the back to give him more of a sense of safety. Hopefully it'll help him calm down a little.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bay
    Thanks

I don't think they're clipped, judging by the length of them at least. Something about getting them clipped feels not so right to me...but if I have to get them clipped, I can't imagine how I'd take him out of the cage. He freaks out if theres a hand close to him, or he moves away from it.

Also yeah, the cage at the pet store had it's back to the wall. My current cage's back is towards the wall too, but theres a small gap. He seems to face towards the wall and pace back and forth on the perch closest to the top of the cage, and he frequently climbs the top/back part too. Does this mean anything?

Name
    Rasa
    Thanks

I've got one of those pet guide books on cockatiels, it says that in the beginning the bird will stay on the highest perch as far away from you as possible, so from your description, it looks like that's exactly what he's doing.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bay
    Thanks

Yep he's been doing that, along with climbing the top of the cage nonstop.

He also seems to be constantly staring at the back of the cage while making his noises...not sure why. He would occasionally face towards the front, but would quickly turn back to stare at the back again.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bay
    Thanks

I took a video just now to sort of make it easier:

He literally does this, all day, nonstop. How loud and frequent he makes the sounds varies, but its usually very loud and shortly one after another.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Sounds like a flock call and my tiel answered with his flock call when I played the video.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

His wings do not look clipped. He is also not screaming at all. He is making normal calls and noises, and to me, is missing his former "flock" and is nervous about it. You and your brother need to bond with him so that he recognizes you as his new flock. Birds do make noise, and the ones he is making are normal. He is very pretty! Spend a lot of time talking to him and offering him treats. He will come around eventually if you invest the time and patience.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bay
    Thanks

Haha I think we should go get some treats, we've been thinking about it and it makes sense, and yeah we spend quite a lot of time with him. My mom especially, since shes pretty much in the same room with him all day.

Roughly how long does it usually take until he warms up to us? I hear its anywhere between a week to a month.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bay
    Thanks

Ok so, the first week has passed and there's still not much change. We moved the food tray up to his top perch and he seems to be eating a bit more now (not by a lot though). He's still doing the usual pacing and flock call all day.

Only headway I've managed to make was that he'd sort of eat millet when I'm holding it. If I put it flat on my palm he wouldn't, but holding it protruding out of my hand he would. What I want to know though, is since I can't really interact with him besides talking (anything that has to do with my hand he'll just start running and hissing at it), what should I do for now? I'm uncomfortable with leaving him all alone so I try to spend time with him, but I can't spend all day. Also, what should I look for when he's starting to calm down and get used to his new environment?

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

It doesn't look like he has very many toys in that cage. Maybe if you give him some more things to play with, he'll be a bit happier?

My female cockatiel is the same in one regard though, she won't eat treats flat in my hand but she'll get pretty close if I'm holding a stick of millet out for her. Just remember that it takes time to earn their trust. Continue to offer treats and talk to him and don't rush him into anything. He needs to know that he can trust you and learn that your hands = treats and good things.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

How long it takes varies by the bird - my tiel took a month, some others have their birds stepping up and perching after a few days, other people's birds take up to a year or more. All birds are different and you have to take him as he is and work with it.

When he starts to get used to you he'll come over closer to you when you talk, he'll flock call to you rather than just randomly when you enter/leave. He won't hiss/run away from you (unless you're making him mad :P). But it all takes time.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bay
    Thanks

Yeah, it's just my parents (especially my dad) are starting to get uncomfortable with the calls

Also, how many more toys do you suggest I get for him? Also, what kind? (there are so many toys at the store I have no idea what to get).

Oh also I wanted to add that the current toy he has...he bites the bell at the bottom, only. I'm not sure whether he just likes the bell or he hates it, haha.
    Last edited by Springs; 06-20-2011 at 03:22 PM.