Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lovebird babies - growth progress & co-parenting (picture heavy)

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Re: Lovebird babies - growth progress & co-parenting

Another update!

Everybody's doing great... and getting VERY active, lol. When I take them out of the nest now they want to explore but their little bodies can't keep up with their heads. Gummi and Lollipop are even starting to get their pink bibs. It freaked me out at first when I saw their neck was a red/pink color - I thought they'd been hurt or something - but I laughed at myself when I realized it was pink feathers... I'm such a dork sometimes.

Gummi, especially, is a busybody! Picture here at 20 days, then 22 days.

Lollipop is still very calm and sweet. 19 days, 21 days.

Jujube is taking after his big brother gummi bear. So curious! 18 days, 20 days.

And even Jellybean is raring to go, most of the time. 13, then 15 days.

I've decided for certain that I'm keeping Lollipop because her colors are SO beautiful and I lovelovelove pieds. My brother might want 1 or 2 (he's in love with Gummi Bear, hehe) but mom is still on the fence about that one, and we have potential homes for whoever's left just by word-of-mouth (friends/neighbors). Still in the very early stages though... I'm prepared to advertise and screen strangers if needed, but there's plenty of time left for that
    Also, I'm SO happy Canada Post strike is over. I should be getting my DNA sexing kits soon hopefully...
    And I also ordered a harness from leathers4feathers so hopefully I can get Lollipop harness trained while she's still a baby, which will hopefully be MUCH easier to get her used to... here's hoping! Maybe I'll evet get to have a birdy on my shoulder to show off at the national birdshow this year, in an adorable blue harness.

.....Abu......Rafiki...... Zuri.....

Thanks

Re: Lovebird babies - growth progress & co-parenting (picture heavy)

Lollipop is adorable! They're all so cute! Congrats with the babies!
    Aether - SF Violet D AquaTurquoise Peach-Faced Lovebird
    Nyx - DF Violet D Turquoise Peach-Faced Lovebird
    Açaí - DD Turquoise Peach-Faced Lovebird
    Damasco - D Orangeface Ino Peach-Faced Lovebird (could be SF Violet and PallidIno)
    Durian - DF Violet D Turquoise Pallid Peach-Faced Lovebird (could be SF Violet)

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Alright, here's our photo update for today. these photos were actually taken July 1st I'm just slow uploading them. The babies change so much almost daily now it's amazing... they are starting to 'fluff out'. Gummi and Lollipop have a nice set of wings on them now.
    I am loving this whole experience so much. Watching them grow is so amazing... even if they are waking me up at 5am chirping for food! I'm NOT a morning person, it takes 4 super cute lovebirds to not have me wake up one heck of an angry person that early in the morning, lol

Here's the whole crew in the box! Gummi Bear out in front, JuJube to the left, Jelly on the right, and Lolli in the back. So darn cute I want to keep them all

Individual photos:

Gummi Bear! Still a busybody. Can't wait until he learns to fly.

Lollipop. Getting prettier every day, and a bit more curious, but still the mellowest baby of all. Her flights are coming in mostly white on the primaries and mostly black on the secondaries, it looks pretty cool.

JuJube... nicknamed 'cliff diver' because she's always trying to crawl all over and nose dive out of your hand, off your lap, or out of the basket I carry them around in. Troublemaker!

Jeallybean. Very curious and tough despite being tiny. Usually when I peek in the nestbox he's on the top of the pile. Lollipop usually on the bottom, lol.

can never find her phone Hatching Konkata's Avatar
    Name
    Konnie
    Thanks

You take the best photos! I wish my camera was this clear and focused! Good job with the whole clutch...I love seeing them get their feathers in. They look so bright and shiney!

Orca Blue: double violet blackmasked lovebird
    Sitka: blue series blackmasked lovebird
    Caribou: seagreen peachfaced lovebird
    Lucky Firefly: creamino peach face lovebird

Hatched!
    Name
    Casey
    Thanks

yeah i double that im jealous of the camera lol

theyre all so cute!

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

It's a Nikon D40 if anyone's interested, lol. Kinda obsolete at this point but I love it!

I take the photos by placing the babies on my computer chair (with blanket draped over) under the light of my desklamp, usually with a tripod. It's great because I can just spin the chair around to get the angle I want... I can't get such great photos of Abu, Rafiki, or Zuri because they'd never sit still that long.

The only downside to their current cuteness is the fact that they have become little poop machines. I take them out for everyone in the family to handle and it's become pretty standard to have a roll of paper towels present with a few on your lap at all times! Big squishy baby poops are really gross. I know because Gummi Bear made a run to snuggle in my neck and pooped right down my shirt... uggghhh!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

So pretty.. Thank you so much for cronicaling their growth I love the picture sets. I just love jelly bean. I know what you mean about baby bird poops they are horribly messy !

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Another update, this one has photos from yesterday.

Gummi Bear

Lolli

JuJube

Jellybean

The final verdict on homes... Lolli and one other baby is going to be staying with us for certain. Little brother got the OK from mom . We don't know which one yet because I recommended he get a male so he doesn't have to deal with hormonal hen issues... so we're waiting on sexing. I started advertising the other two so I can start screening ahead of time. If I can't find anybody suitable I'm keeping them because I love them all to pieces... I'd rather find them great homes, *but* nothing less than great!

Name
    Jenny
    Thanks

aw, they're all so pretty! But that picture of Lolli just stole my heart!!
    "Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, & yet sings, knowing that she hath wings." Victor Hugo

Remove Ads