Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Samantha
    Thanks

thinking of getting another...

Hi everyone,

I haven't been around in a while beyond a quick check in here and there...my Burrito bird (red faced, yellow sided GCC) is now 2 and I'm really wanting to add another bird to the family. After much thought I've come to the conclusion that a second GCC would probably be my best bet. Not only do I totally adore Burrito, but it just makes sense for many, many reasons. I do not intend to cage them together, but if they get along I would like to have them out at the same time. Would getting a second GCC as a part time buddy affect the bond she and I already have? I don't want to compromise the relationship we've developed in any way.
    Burrito's mom

Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Re: thinking of getting another...

First off, welcome back! Haven't been around much myself, but I'm glad to hear you all are doing well!

I got out of college got a full time job and actually kinda fell into getting this second guy... like your plans, mine are caged separately. Now, there is a big difference I see with them. Because their personalities are so different. Amira is much more laid back, Pancho (the new one) is very in your face. It took about 3 months before they were actually friendly together. Quite a bit of work.

But the bond between Amira and I has definitely changed. Pancho is always wanting to be on me, but will also harass Amira (overly friendly) most of the time, so she isn't around as much. It got to the point I had to lock up Pancho so I can have some one on one time with Amira. Again, depends on the personality of the bird.

However, right now they are sitting up preening each other on a play stand next to me before I put them to bed (separate sleep cages).

Just realize... it really is twice the work. And if anything happens, it'll be twice the vet bills. Twice the cleaning. Make sure you have the time, patience, and free cash flow to support a second bird.

Now as to suggest other species... gcc's will probably have the best chance of bonding. I was actually SERIOUSLY considering a blue headed pionus. And that's funny because their personalities are way more laid back than a gcc. Are you currently / will be in an apartment/dorm? (Sorry I don't remember that much.)

And again, welcome back!
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Name
    Samantha
    Thanks

Thank you Russell It's good to be back. Glad to hear things are going well for you too!

I'm a licensed vet tech. I grew up training and showing dogs so I have always spent lots of time and money at the vets. I am currently a stay at home single mom who does some grooming and pet sitting. My son and I live in my parents house right now although we'll be getting our own place in the next couple of years once he's in school full time and I can once again get a steady pay check. I can never do the apt thing since I have multiple dogs in addition to the birds (I also have 2 incredibly LOUD untame budgies).

The extra work and cost isn't a factor, I just don't want it to have a negative impact on the relationship she and I have. I was seriously thinking of other types of birds as well but was hoping to get something she could be out with as her time out is pretty much limited to when my son is with his father and after he's in bed for the night. He's 4 right now and on the autism spectrum so while he loves animals, and especially birds, he can get a bit wound up at times.

Truth is I'd love an AG or a Macaw and had thought about getting one when my son gets older, but after much thought I have decided I really can't get one because I'm already in my 40's and don't want to die on the bird when it's only middle aged.

Thanks for your input
    Last edited by Samantha1025; 06-26-2011 at 06:30 AM.
    Burrito's mom

Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Samantha, if you'd like to have an AG or a Macaw, why don't you consider adopting. There are animal sanctuaries that take in birds when people pass and some are eligible for adoption (depending on the wishes of the deceased owner). It's much like adopting a child! Quite impressive, you could possibly get an older bird that needs a loving home. Just a thought.

Another thought is to look on PetFinder.com there are often birds people need to rehome that are older.

Our Eclectus and Grey are both re-homes.

We have 5 birds total, 1 parakeet, 2 GCCs, 1 Eclectus and 1 Grey. That also means 5 cages. It's a lot of work and our relationships changed as each bird moved in, but we make sure we spend one on one with each bird each day! They also have play time where they can play together if they want to... the GCCs, I don't let them play with the bigger birds, simply because I'm afraid one might give a quick "chomp" and hurt one of the little ones. HOwever they are all out at the same time, just the GCCS have their own play area. Some days Jack and Corky get along just fine, other days NO WAY! However, they will always sit and talk and play "through the cage bars" I think they like knowing they can't quite get to each other, I don't know.

They remind me of me and my friend when I was little, we lived across the street from each other, we couldn't cross the street, but we would yell back and forth and play like there was no street there! LOL!

When Rudy came to us, he came from a home with children but no other birds. He actually came to stay for a few months while his family sold their house, by the time they did he had become so attached to the other birds, his parents decided to let him stay as long as we wanted. AT the current time the deal is, if/when we get to the point we can no longer care for them, Rudy's parents will get ALL the birds! LOL!

Good luck on your decision!

Name
    Samantha
    Thanks

Thank you. I've thought about adopting a bird that needs a home once my son is quite a bit older. There is a bird rescue group only about an hour from me. I've met them and some of their birds at the bird mart a few times and have been very impressed with them and the care they give the birds and by their adoption process which includes several visits and I believe a home visit before you are allowed to bring anyone home. Right now he's (my son) incredibly spoiled by the birds we have. He's been told not to stick his fingers in the cages, but being a 4 yeard old boy he does and the budgies just fly to the other side of their cage. My GCC used to roll over on her back and play with him, but she's currently VERY hormonal and is nipping him. Not enough to deter him, just enough to make him jump back and pull his finger out. I told him she'll probably keep doing it now as she loves his reaction LOL

I have always dreamed of getting an AG, heck, I'm a border collie mommy so AGs are right up my alley maybe one day when Toddzilla, aka my son Todd, is older I will find one who needs a home...

Thank you for your input
    Burrito's mom