Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Hi from Elizabeth & Calliope :)

Hello all!

My name is Elizabeth. I'm 20 years old and I'm a big-time animal lover. I recently got a cream ringneck dove; her name is Calliope and I love her very much! She's the first bird I've had since middle school and I'm so excited to have her.

I'm attending university in Nova Scotia but I'm about to take a year off. I'm studying psychology and hope to pursue a career in animal behaviourism or a similar field after graduate school. I've worked in a vet clinic before, but I currently work at my local Petsmart.
    Last edited by Eliz Aisling; 06-27-2011 at 04:48 AM.

I love my doves, Calliope & Calypso <3

CALLIOPE ("kə-LIE-ə-pee"): from the Ancient Greek Καλλιόπη, meaning "beautiful voice".
    CALYPSO ("kə-LIP-so"): from the Ancient Greek Καλυψω, meaning "she that conceals".

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Re: Hi from Elizabeth & Calliope :)

Hi Eliz & Calliope - welcome to TF. The two of you make quite a cute couple. The only birds I've had as pets are parrots (the smaller kind, Quakers, green cheek conures, cockatiels and lovie) so I'm afraid I don't know very much about doves at all. Calliope is quite smart looking bird though and since she sits on your shoulder she's obviously pretty tame. Is she a velcro bird?

Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Re: Hi from Elizabeth & Calliope :)

Thanks, Sandra! She is pretty tame - as far as smart, I'm not too sure yet. Haven't had her long enough to know that, I don't think, but she is very curious, always paying attention and listening to what's going on around her.

From what I've read, domestic doves in general are very tame and don't have much in the way of fear of humans. I did some research before I got her (she is my first dove - I've only had cockatiels and parakeets in the past), but I am still learning new things about her every day. I wouldn't call her a velcro bird, per se, as she can be quite independent at times. She's still a little timid around me and flies away if I move too suddenly, but I've only had her for two weeks so that makes sense. I'm sure she'll grow more comfortable with me in time

What sort of bird(s) do you have right now?

I love my doves, Calliope & Calypso <3

CALLIOPE ("kə-LIE-ə-pee"): from the Ancient Greek Καλλιόπη, meaning "beautiful voice".
    CALYPSO ("kə-LIP-so"): from the Ancient Greek Καλυψω, meaning "she that conceals".