where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: What bird are good in groups?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Joseph
    Thanks

What bird are good in groups?

I have a Large home made cage that I was considering putting 2+ birds in it, the Cage part (there is cabinets under it) is about 2' deep, 3' wide, and 4' tall. I have made some nice playstands and other bird supplies and I currently have 2 birds already, a Standard green Quaker (almost 2 yrs old) and what is though to be a Pastel Silver Indian Ringneck (just over 1 yr old). Both my birds are very tame and sweet. I am wanting a few birds that would be good together in a group but I am trying to consider my options for my flock. My family had Finches when i was young, I used to breed Doves, and I have had Budgies. I like all three of these birds but budgies i think would be too noisey and i have heard they are not good to have near other birds. I was leaning toward a few doves or a flock of various finches but what other types of birds would be good in a group?

Name
    Beth
    Thanks

Re: What bird are good in groups?

How big a flock are you considering?? I've seen quite a few owners on here that have small flocks of Lovebirds and a couple have them mixed with other breeds and they seem to get along fine.

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

It really depends on the bird, honestly. Someone on here has a lovebird and a parakeet living in the same cage. If we housed our quaker and cockatiels together, fights would ensue and everyone would be bleeding by the end of the day. Though they're fine if they're on top of their cages together.

Cockatiels and budgies generally get along quite well together though from what I've seen / heard. Finches are super awesome, we use to have some at my moms house. Are you wanting to mix your birds with another flock or get multiple types of birds housed separately from your own two birds now?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Joseph
    Thanks

I was not planning on housing the 2 I have already with them. They have thier own cages and it will stay that way. I am leaning toward doing all Finches, Possible a few different types but prefer to keep all one type. Also Finches are very easy to breed. So i could start with a small group and let them grow as a family as long as they all get along.

Remove Ads