where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help sexing budgies

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Steven
    Thanks

Help sexing budgies

First of all, i couldnt see any definite place to ask about this topic so i figured this would be the closest. Second, i have had nothing but trouble uploading pics to this post. as a result the best i could do was upload them to TF gallery and share it publicly. If you are able to help, feel free to have a look and see what you think.

Hey,

I've only had my birds for a short while and am already head over heels for both of them. the older one (Buddy) appeared on my driveway one day and couldnt fly properly (still struggles). the younger one (Goggles) was purchased on his first day out of the nest box from a breeder. i started training both as best i can and they both have responded with varying level of success.

Im really keen to find out what sex and mutation they are as i am only a novice and have no idea. Im guessing that Buddy is a hen and Goggles a cock but clarification on this would be greatly appreciated. Also buddy has not shown any signs of his/her flying getting better. He/she just seems to run out of steam after around 10 seconds. I excercise them everyday and try to get buddy to practice flying as much as possible. Is he/she too fat????

Any wisdom anyone can impart is greatly appreciated.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Re: Help sexing budgies

The first 3 photos are of a grey spangle cock.
    The other bird is a REALLY nice English grey, opaline, hen.

If you get the itch to breed, don't pr up these two please. Find a really nice normal hen with a clear frontal rise for you spangle cock. A normal will help to bring back more defined spangle markings on the wings.

The English hen should be put with a normal cock. Oplaine is a sex linked mutation. This means a cock must have 2 copys to show the mutation. A hen only needs 1 copy - so she can NEVER be split for this mutation.

Also if you breed spangle with opline it will invert the wing pattern on the chicks.
    Last edited by Kerry C; 07-13-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Steven
    Thanks

wow, thanks for all the really helpful advice. i'm interested in breeding a few babies later on down the track. This info will definately help me when its time to choose mates for my birds.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

On the one that has trouble flying. Our hen Sheila was purchased from a pet store clipped (One wing only) and was in a sorry state when we got her. It took her over 1 year before she could fly again. In the mean time we set up ramps to the cage and taught her about them so if she fell she could get back up. The last 3 months before she took flight she would cling to a perch in her cage and just flap her wing for about 4 minutes about 4 times a day.
    In short her re-rehabilitation into flight took a VERY long time with no small effort on her part. Just be sure to keep loving him, make sure he was a way back to his cage (A spiral rope or a wooden ladder will work) and keep him happy. He'll fly again in his own time if he's able. All you can do is make life for him as happy as possible until then.