where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Blue and Gold Macaw Troubles.

Head is in the clouds. Brand New Egg Shocamu's Avatar
    Name
    Kayla Bird
    Thanks

Question Blue and Gold Macaw Troubles.

To be blunt and to the point, My Blue and Gold Macaw doesn't like me.

It might be due to the fact that he is bonded with my mom, he does mating behaviors to her, or that he's very cage bound.
    To the point, I've noticed a lot of problems that've come up in the past year or so with Phoebe, the macaw. He's been sitting on the bottom of the cage, clinking the bars together for hours on end. He usually sits on the perch and just stares out the window and will attack anyone that comes by, even my mom to whom he is bonded to.
    I think this might be due to boredem, we haven't had enough money in recent years to get him more toys, or he might be lonely, His buddy Sammy passing away and his other friend Buddy being given away due to her not wanting to be separated from her mate Rosco when we had to stop bird-sitting Rosco and give him back to his owner.

My questions now, are these:
    is it possible for Phoebe to stop attempting to attack me when ever I walk by or even be a little more friendly to me to where I can safely clean out his cage without worry of him trying to bite the top of my head.
    Second, What do you think might be wrong with him? Is he bored out of his mind? What can I do for homemade toys that don't cost a lot of money to make for him to play so he isn't too bored, and what should I do if he is overly lonely and won't let anyone touch him as of late.

Much appreciated if you all give me your feed back!
    Last edited by Shocamu; 07-15-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Re: Blue and Gold Macaw Troubles.

I've never had a macaw but he definitely sounds bored to me... mostly cagebound with no toys? They need more enrichment than that.

Parrots definitely don't need expensive toys to be happy! My favorite bird toy store is the dollar store. I have heard people say that natural wooden shims (which you can get at the dollar store here) are a great chewable toy for their big parrots to pick up and crunch to pieces. Simple, cheap things like that can keep make them happy (kind of like the kid that would rather play with the box than the super-fancy toy that came in it!). Look around and get creative, just be careful to stick with bird-safe materials. With a big parrot especially you have to be careful not to give them anything small enough to swallow.

You might also want to try giving him some foraging to do. Hide a piece of food he likes (like a nut, maybe) in a crumpled piece of paper or inside a paper bag. He will have to work to find his treat and it will chase away boredom. Get creative hiding things for him to find.

A busy parrot is a happier parrot, who will hopefully be easier to work with so you can earn his trust.
    I think others will come along with more advice but this is what I would do to start.

.....Abu......Rafiki...... Zuri.....

Head is in the clouds. Brand New Egg Shocamu's Avatar
    Name
    Kayla Bird
    Thanks

The hiding the food from him sounds like a rather excellent idea to me!
    I just need to find said paper bag...

Name
    Beth
    Thanks

You know those plastic cups people use when they're doing quick stacking against the clock?? You could get him a set of those and put different things in between the layers. Or get a small plastic ball filled with small pieces of treat and drill holes in it big enough for them to fall out of.

Once you start thinking loads of ideas will come Hope he gets better and stops attacking people

Remove Ads