where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bleeding at the wing??

sunshine on my shoulders Egg's Cracking... ladyhedge's Avatar
    Name
    Gina
    Thanks

Bleeding at the wing??

I have a bit of a potential problem I noticed a few minutes ago!! I had my bird out when I came home from running some errands this morning and I noticed when she stretched her wings that under one of her wings she was bleeding!! There was some blood on her body where the wing rests and the bleeding site itself looks close to the tip of the wing where her wing feathers would start.

I know sometimes when she's out she'll try to fly but land clumsily and once in a while she'll be clumsy in her cage and fall, so it may have happened like that but I'm not sure. It doesn't look like she's still bleeding, and as of right now she's preening the feathers on her chest and near her foot and she was talking happily a bit ago so she doesn't seem to be in distress.. but I sure as heck am!

It's very hard to check her without holding her down because she hates being touched but I just looked under her wing and it still looks like it's bleeding, it's been at least 5 minutes now.. should I head to the emergency vet? I wouldn't even know how to begin to apply something to stop the bleeding given the location and how squirmy she is and how tiny she is.

EDIT: Okay it doesn't look like it's still bleeding now that I've looked at it again since the blood is a little darker and more dried BUT it may be, I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT (AGAIN): Okay.. I may be overreacting on all this. Might just be a feather that was coming in that she may have accidentally dinged in the cage or something. It doesn't look like any more blood is coming out but I'm running to get some Quick Stop just in case. Oh man.. if you guys have any advice on how to apply stuff like Quick Stop to cease blood flow on a small, squirmy little bird or any other suggestions on this I would appreciate it. Thank you!
    Last edited by ladyhedge; 07-16-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Bleeding at the wing??

Likely she is molting and dinged a blood feather, or preened it a bit too hard because it was bugging her. If it isn't actively bleeding now and isn't broken (if it is just pricked it can heal on its own) then leave it and keep an eye on her, if she starts it bleeding again you may need to have a vet pull it.

To apply quik stop to a bird that doesn't like to be handled (which, what bird honestly likes you stretching out their wings?) wrap them in a soft hand towel and out the side of the towel gently extend the wing you need to look at while firmly holding the body so they can't struggle and hurt themselves. It's easiest to have a helper when doing this, but can be done solo if needed. Just make sure you don't hold too firmly, or get their legs/wings at an odd angle. Put a little of the powder if you got the powder version on the spot where the bleed is and hold it there for a few seconds, then wipe the excess powder off gently with a bandage/cotton swab. The q-tip version you just snap is probably easier to apply as you just snap it, it soaks the cotton tip and then you just hold it to the spot for a few seconds.

Don't worry - I freaked out when my bird first damaged his blood feather as well, it can be scary cause it looks like a LOT more blood than it actually is. Do keep an eye on her though as blood feathers are attached to veins and if she breaks it rather than just dinging it, she can bleed to death quickly.

sunshine on my shoulders Egg's Cracking... ladyhedge's Avatar
    Name
    Gina
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    Likely she is molting and dinged a blood feather, or preened it a bit too hard because it was bugging her. If it isn't actively bleeding now and isn't broken (if it is just pricked it can heal on its own) then leave it and keep an eye on her, if she starts it bleeding again you may need to have a vet pull it.

To apply quik stop to a bird that doesn't like to be handled (which, what bird honestly likes you stretching out their wings?) wrap them in a soft hand towel and out the side of the towel gently extend the wing you need to look at while firmly holding the body so they can't struggle and hurt themselves. It's easiest to have a helper when doing this, but can be done solo if needed. Just make sure you don't hold too firmly, or get their legs/wings at an odd angle. Put a little of the powder if you got the powder version on the spot where the bleed is and hold it there for a few seconds, then wipe the excess powder off gently with a bandage/cotton swab. The q-tip version you just snap is probably easier to apply as you just snap it, it soaks the cotton tip and then you just hold it to the spot for a few seconds.

Don't worry - I freaked out when my bird first damaged his blood feather as well, it can be scary cause it looks like a LOT more blood than it actually is. Do keep an eye on her though as blood feathers are attached to veins and if she breaks it rather than just dinging it, she can bleed to death quickly.
    Oh my goodness. It does sound like the blood feather issue and after reading more about it I think that's exactly what it is! I wanted to get Quik Stop but then I heard that it also kind of stings/burns on application for the bird? I definitely don't like that idea, might use corn starch instead (acceptable substitute) so she's not any more uncomfortable than she already would be during application.

I'll keep even more of an eye on her now with this going on. I was looking at her more closely in the evening and noticed that the OTHER wing area also had the same thing!!!! But it didn't bleed like the first one; I did see blood, but very little and it didn't leak onto her body like it did on the other side. My poor baby :'(

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Quik stop does sting a little bit, but it stops bleeding VERY quickly and also is antiseptic, so useful to have around. A blood feather isn't that likely to get infected, but if she ever gets a cut on her foot or something, the antiseptic is great. First time my bird hurt a blood feather I only had flour though and that worked to clot to the blood and stop the bleed, corn starch works too yes.

When my tiel molted the first time he had two blood feathers on his wings from his flights coming back in ... really long ones on both wings. I rearranged his cage to unclutter it so he didn't bang those against anything while they were coming in, because he was a bit clumsy and prone to night frights. If she does end up needing a feather pulled during her molting time, be sure to have the vet show you how to do it so you can do it yourself - it can be very pricey to go to a vet every time if your bird is prone to breaking blood feathers (over $100 each time).