Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: breeding and numbers

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Question breeding and numbers

I have just bought 4 lovebirds from a private sale, with a large cage, they all live together and seem happy enough, however one of the birds has feathers from the back of the neck missing, and some to the chest.

I have been observing them and there is some fighting going on, nothing horrific but quick little snaps at eachother.
    and lots of noise. Ones foot was hurt yesterday, not badly but it obviously hurt for a few minutes.

Now should i seperate the 2 pairs as soon as possible? Or is this normal behaviour in a group setting?
    Im concerned why the one bird is missing feathers, but have been observing and not seen it bullied really.

The cage is huge, plenty of room, i have provided multiple food sources, water, and loads of toys. It seems sad to seperate but if its best for the birds i will.
    Ive never owned a group before so im not sure whats normal! Thanks

(they have apparantly all lived together for 2 yrs and theres are no toes missing or anything!)

excuse the title my mind was elsewhere lol too early

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Re: breeding and numbers

what is your definition of huge?

I'm thinkign maybe it isnt big enough as perhaps this poor baldy bird is being picked on by the other birds, or stressed out by them enough to pick.

That said you really should take him to a vet- just to make sure it isn't something medical that could be passed on to the others.

It could just be the stress of moving in with you- but if they are fighting and hurting each other then maybe another cage is needed...

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kate
    Thanks

I got 4 lovebirds from someone that told me they had been living together for awhile. Two breeding pairs, actually. I noticed one of my males was getting picked on and feathers were missing from the back of his head. I kept an eye on him and made sure he was okay. But then I went downstairs to check on my flock and he had a huge, and I mean, huge, gouge near one eye on his face. I immediately grabbed him and took him to the vet and he was okay, the vet said it would heal, which was great. But I put him in his separate cage for a long time until it healed and he seemed more himself. Then when I finally put his mate in with him he was overjoyed, honestly. They were like peas and carrots. It was really cute.

But I won't ever do that again, even though I was assured it was okay with those 4. And they were in a 6 ft flight cage.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks, well it cant be the stress of moving as i only got them yesterday morning! she told me one bird had some missing feathers and pointed it out. From rainonfire i think hearing that i will seperate the 2 pairs then asap. It sounds very alike to my situation, feathers from back of neck missing...
    I will go get a cage tomorrow and part them before anything awful happens.
    Same here i assumed if they had been together for 2 years all would be fine! but thats just what ive been told i guess.

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

2 pairs is never a good idea. There will always be a battle for dominance and the weaker pair usually ends up injured, and often dead. Odd number of pairs is advised...3,5 7 etc although I find once there is more than 4 pairs it's not a problem. Space is crucial, they need room for individual territories and separate feeding zones.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Could get a second cage if their is a bird being picked on. I had to do that. Had a budgie that was bigger than the other budgie and forever would bully him. I got a second cage and kept the 2 sererate since it went on too long.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for the answers i decided to seperate them because they were always fighting. i noticed one pair wouldnt let the others on the floor of the cage. So they are now in seperate cages, its alot quieter i'll say that! everyone seems alot calmer

Remove Ads