Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ht
    Thanks

Help on new hatched baby lovebird

Three days ago, the baby had trouble to get out the shell, so I assisted to crack the shell. The operation went smoothly but I noticed the tummy had big piece of meat (kernel corn size) with blood vessel. I have been hand feeding the baby for past 80 hrs. The piece of meat on tummy seemed to reduced the size and drying out. Here the picture of baby today.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1171955...54098071366738

Should I return baby to the parent? I am afraid the parent may reject it. There are two babies in the nest box currently.

Please advice. Thxs.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Re: Help on new hatched baby lovebird

Could call local animal control center, they would probably know. Also, if you can get a reply from a bird breeder, they would also know.

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

If the baby you have is stable and you are getting a good feeding response, you can try giving the baby back to mom. Since she's already feeding 2, chances are that she will take the baby and feed it right along with the others. If there were no other babies in the nest, it would be a different scenario.

Looking at the photo, the baby looks good. Feet/toes are plump, which means it's well hydrated. I will say that you've put just a bit too much food in the crop, as the formula seems to be going back up the throat pipe....something you don't want, as the baby can easily aspirate. At this age, the baby should most likely take less than 1/2 cc.

What you see on the abdomen is the remains of the umbilical cord. It will continue to dry up and eventually fall off. Let that happen naturally. If you choose to do so, you can continue to hand feed this baby but you will be doing so for roughly the next 8-12 weeks.

Good luck.
    ~Valerie~

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ht
    Thanks

Thanks Valerie for excellent info.
    I was afraid to put back the parent even I know they are a good parent. So now I hand fed the baby.
    The baby is growing stronger every day but still tiny compared to two babies in nest box (one was 5 days older, and other one was one day older).
    Initially, I fed it with Exact formula, it did not go well since the crop did not empty after 3 hrs. Then I switched to Lafeber formula, it was better but it still had problem with digestion. I tried to introduce small mother's poop (one time only) to the formula and I gave good result.
    Now the crop is empty after 2 hrs feeding. I mix Lafeber formula (40%) with 30% egg yolk, 20% grinded corn, 10% grinded almond and the baby seems to response well with my formula. The schedule for feedings are every 2 hrs (6AM-Mid night) and one feed at 3AM.
    The umbilical cord is drying out but it has not fell off yet. Not sure why happened to this baby ?
    I will post the pictures for its progression.

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Kaytee has admitted that there have been problems associated with their formula and I experienced the same thing you did. The formula just would not digest so, like you, I switched. With Lafebers formula, please don't add anything to it, as that changes the nutritional value of the formula. Hand fed babies are always smaller than their parent fed counterparts and that's because formula is very different than what mom feeds. While adding a bit of mom's dropping to the formula may sound gross, what you did was add bacteria to the formula so that it can populate the baby's gut. Baby's are hatched without digestive enzymes or bacteria and mom is the one who supplies that need.

Your feeding schedule is good.
    ~Valerie~

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kate
    Thanks

I use Kaytee Exact and am thinking about switching to Roudybush.. Has anyone used that?

My baby Baylee I <3 U!! Baby ChesterHannah2010's Avatar
    Name
    Maria
    Thanks

I raised mine with Kaytee Exact and had no trouble at all with it... and Kriek is actually bigger then Baylee... they were both handfeds and handraised and still Kriek is slightly bigger they are both Roseicollis.. i guess it helped the fact that Kriek was fed by her mom the 1st week of her life.
    Baylee SF Violet D Turquoise female white faced lovebird
    Kiwi SF Violet D Pale headed female peach faced lovebird

A lovebird has the soul of a larger parrot in a small body.

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

We've used Kaytee formula for all our clutches as well and have had no problem. Just thought I'd add my two cents!

I hope your baby is doing good. :] You definitely need to post more pics later on.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ht
    Thanks

I was about running out energy to feed the baby. I have been bring the baby to work with lunch box.
    Inside lunch box was hot water bottles and remoted thermometer. The baby was kept at 90-95F.
    Yesdayday was marked as sixth day it was born.
    When I was cleaning nest box, I noticed two babies were quite big compared to my hand fed one.
    The oldest one (10 days) is X5 bigger, the other one (7 days) is x3 bigger.
    That made me to consider putting back baby to the nest box and let parent to feed. I was so nervous when mom came in the nest box and she accepted the baby. Later on, the dad joined in nest box and he seemed OK. One hour later, I checked nest box and the baby was fed by the parent. That was a relief.
    Now my only worry if the other babies would bury the smallest one.
    This morning, I checked the baby and it was OK. The crop was empty, so I help to feed it. The other two babies, crop was empty as well. I guessed, mom and dad had not fed them yet. I will check again this afternoon.
    Thanks everyone for comments and suggestions.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ht
    Thanks

I check the baby this evening, and it's doing fine along with other babies. Here is the update picture.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1171955...44996997072914