Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Vinny
    Thanks

Doesn't seem to like toys?

My cockateil, Charlie doesn't seem to like toys. He has two big wooden perches( ones that came wi cage),two hanging toys and a swing.( along with food bowls,water bowls and cuttlebone). Yet he doesn't seem to like any of his toys. All he does is eat and preen.Is there a way to teach him how to play? Or is he just not a toy player? Also it doesnt seem like he uses his cuttlebone, is this a problem. Lol so many questions...
    Thanks,
    Vinny.

Name
    Beth
    Thanks

Re: Doesn't seem to like toys?

How long have you had Charlie?? It may take a while for him to play with them and be comfortable with his surroundings. It took Rory quite a while to work out what the toys were for so I made the same assumptions as you did. It should come in time. Try different toys, such as shredders, foraging toys etc. You don't have to buy them, there are a lot of places on the internet where you can learn how to make cockatiel friendly cheap toys with things you probably already have in your house.
    If he trusts you and will interact with you outside the cage, play with the toys yourself and he may be intrigued enough to interact with them.

The cuttlebone isn't a problem, he'll use it when he feels he needs it.

Good luck

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Vinny
    Thanks

Well, we've had Charlie for about a month and a half, he's a normal gray, and the pet store said he was about a year old. Charlie isn't finger tame yet so I'm worried that he won't get enough excersise..( he's on a seed diet too)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Vinny
    Thanks

Also, can you give me an example of a toy I can provide him that I can make myself?

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Cuttlebone - he'll use it when he needs it, usually when my tiel molts he'll devour 1-2 cuttlebones, along with eating broccoli and other calcium foods. Otherwise, he just nibbles the cuttlebone sometimes.

For swings my tiel won't use regular ones, but he LOVEs this one http://www.busybird.com/8bagels.html

Some toys my bird likes:
    http://www.busybird.com/shreddertubes.html
    http://www.busybird.com/vineballs.html

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...d-Toys-Recipes browse around this section for some ideas.

Another few things my tiel enjoys are: Toothpicks (blunt the ends first so they can't hurt themselves, or you... I stepped on one I dropped in the floor once, ow!), shoelaces (non-toxic food based dyes, usually childrens shoelaces are safe) tied together to make a preener, wooden ladder toys, seagrass threaded through the cage bars.

For perches usually what comes with the cage is the cheap dowel perches - to encourage him climbing about try some different types. My tiel loves the rope perches and natural wood perches. Different sizes/shapes/textures are good for their feet.

Name
    Jenny
    Thanks

My tiel is not a big toy player, but there are a few things he really likes: shoelaces, pistachio shells, small wooden beads (not so small that he can swallow them) that he can roll around, carry around, chase &/or run from, and pinecones. He loves his two boings - I have two different sizes, in two different rooms.

http://www.birdyboredombusters.com/boings.html

& I saw a post on a thread about making toys not too awful long ago w/this website

http://www.cheepparrottoysntips.com/index.html
    "Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, & yet sings, knowing that she hath wings." Victor Hugo

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Vinny
    Thanks

Thanks guys. For the shoelaces, what should i do? Tie them so they dangle off the top? Or give it to him from my hand? And where in the cage do they like the'yre toys? the bottom, the top, next to their favirote perch? hahaha, again so many questions....

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Take the shoelaces and hold them an even length together, then take one extra shoe lace and tie the others together at the top. Keep an eye on that toy though for wear so toes don't get stuck in the strings... best to be an outside the cage toy or supervision only.

My tiel likes some of his toys on the bottom in "his corner" - some are hanging on the outside of the cage, some are up at the top of the cage. Will vary by bird though, each one is an individual

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Vinny
    Thanks

Thanks! I'll try everyone's suggestions and hopefully he will enjoy them.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Caitlin
    Thanks

I got my cockatil about 3 months ago and I know he didn't touch his cuttlebone until he started to mult which was in July sometime. He also didn't seem interested in any toys for the longest time either. He now will only play with things that have a bell which is two toys. Also, mine doesn't like fingers much either even though he knows the step up command he refuses to do it often. I started to just open the door to his cage and leave a treat just outside of it and he finally oneday came out and ate the treat and wondered around. Now he gets his exercise not because I bring himout with my hands but I leave the door open when I can be there to keep an eye on him and he will come out and wander around the outside of his cage. I will lay my arm on the side of the cage and when he wants (only when he wants) he will step up onto it and climb up onto my shoulder. THe longer you have the bird, the more you will figure out youself what you individual bird likes and will do.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Vinny
    Thanks

Thanks catlin. Its not so much getting Charlie to come out of his cage, but to get him back in. I am extremely afraid of grabbing/ toweling him as I don't want to hurt him.( it's just a nervous thing) so I would really prefer not to have him come out unless he has a method of getting back in. You get what I mean?