Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Arian
    Thanks

Unhappy Runny poo - mostly water, off white colour

My female Cockatiel, Pepsi is about 8-10 months old. Ive known her since before she was weened and still in the nest box. Ive had her in my care for maybe a month or more. She has been having runny poop recently, some days its almost completely water and only a little bit of mass in it (the water is mostly transparent but an off white colour) and other days she has almost perfectly fine or slightly soggie poo, this has been happening for maybe 2 weeks, its only now that ive started to get concerned.

Ive read that runny poo can be because of stress. She is kept with 2 budgies (parakeets), one male and the other female. Pepsi gets bullied slightly by the female. Would this be the stress causing her occasional diarrhea? She has not had any veg or fruits in a while.

She is a perfectly healthy bird apart from her poo problems. She fly's, sings daily, eats...a lot and i even took her in the shower with me a few days ago. Id rather not take her to the vets but if its something bad i guess i have no choice.

Has anyone got any advice or answers?

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Runny poo - mostly water, off white colour

How often are they runny? If it happens daily, or multiple times a day, take her in to get her checked out. Stress can cause slightly more watery droppings, but the all water ones should be rare to see. Having watery droppings often is a sign something is wrong, which could be a yeast infection or several other illnesses.

If she's being bullied it is possible that she isn't getting enough to eat - do you weigh her? Often that is an issue if a bird is being bullied and the owner doesn't know about it until it causes issues. Why is she kept with the budgies? Are all three bonded together, or is the budgie pair bonded? Keeping a third bird with a male/female pair sounds risky - if the two budgies decide they want to mate, they will likely become aggressive to the tiel.

Birds are experts at hiding illness, so often the droppings are the first sign we have that something is up.

Also, what is her diet like? Diet can cause issues as well.

Name
    Arian
    Thanks

Pepsi does get plenty of food, i hand feed her everyday.

My budgies are bonded but i can see a clear hierarchy (if that's how you spell it) its the female budgie, Pepsi, then the male. And i usually only see aggressiveness when Pepsi gets to close to the other bird - or the other way round. But Pepsi and the male have a relationship, they will feed from the same treat together with no problems, its the female she is scared of.

She doesn't have poo that is ALL water, the most watery Ive seen it so far was a few days ago. there was a small dark brownie-green (like normal poo) but in a small puddle of off white liquid. And other times, in the bottom of the cage i see her poop looking very normal but in the sand paper i can see a damp patch around the poo, and that's more common than the more watery types Ive seen but she has had watery poos more than once in one day.

And i was thinking about weighing her, ill keep a record of her weight for a few days and see if it fluctuates.

Her diet is a mix of tiel food and budgie food, it has sunflower seeds many other types of seeds including red millet and normal millet, i give them Trill Toppers as treats often to, as well as millet spray.

Edit: She just pooped..on my bed actually, its very pale brown with the normal white part in the middle but still in a small puddle or milky white water.

It literally looks like this http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/upl...39.jpg?612x412
    But the dark part is a lot paler like this colour..it seems the wateriness is normal?
    Last edited by Delirium; 08-29-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

You should proably get her into a vet. I've never had any luck having budgies sleeping in the same cage with tiels. I've had them bonded with tiels before, to the point of feeding and protecting them but they are prone to VERY random acts of aggression for no reason at all and this prevents tiels from sleeping properly. I'd recmond having the tiel sleep in a cage right next to the budies one on a trial. As long as this doesn't cause the other male budgie to fret (Or pepsi for that matter) stick with it, just be sure to let them out reguarly together during the day so their bond doesn't break.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

There is some water in droppings, so seeing a damp area around a normal dropping is fine. Though, I wouldn't use sand paper on the bottom of the cage, budgies and tiels don't need grit and sand paper gravel paper has been known to cause crop impactions. Grit is for birds who do not hull their seeds, as it helps them digest the hull. Hook bills remove the hulls before they eat. Plain paper is also easier to examine their droppings on.

If the dropping itself, not the urine content, is fine (as in it holds it's tubular shape) then there isn't much to worry about unless you notice excessive amounts of urine, which could mean there is something wrong with the kidneys. Also the urate (the white part inside the dropping) should remain white - any off coloring of it is bad. When she drinks water, the urine itself will increase.

I would try putting Pepsi in her own cage as well - it sounds like the two females are fighting over the male, she shouldn't have to live with a bird that bullies her and she is scared of.

As for her diet - millet and sunflower seeds are both very high in fat... too much of those can cause fatty liver disease over time, especially if seed is her sole diet. Try to add in fruits and veggies (veggies more than fruit, as fruit is high in sugar) to her diet. The key to a healthy bird diet is variety. Seed junkies can be a bit stubborn about eating their fresh foods at first, but persistent owners usually win out.

Name
    Arian
    Thanks

Thanks guys for the help I gave her some cabbage and some broccoli today, she loves her greens, though she seems to have a phobia of carrots lol

Also i was going to give the female budgie back to the breeder i got her from, he is my close friend (i got Pepsi from him for free!) and he gave her to me cuz she was chewing up the ceiling in his aviary, he has meshed over all the wooden parts since then as he has a cockatiel that lost her tail feathers - therefor cant fly and needs special perches etc to get around like the other birds. Also the female is very skittish of me and when my other birds come to me comfortably, i always feel bad about her. She doesn't like being a pet and id like to give her her old aviary life back.

Lastly i have some questions about cockatiel psychology, Pepsi quite often has one eye open and the other closed (its not always the same eye) i doubt there is something wrong with her eyes, is it normal? though her father did have an eye infection when she was a fledgling, do you think she would have imitated him? Also im confused about her crest, can you tell me what different crest positions mean?

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/questions4.html That is a cockatiel body language guide, which if you scroll down includes crest positions. As for one eye open and one closed, it may be due to the female budgie ... my tiel does that when he is not entirely comfortable and wants to stay alert, but is tired.

Name
    Arian
    Thanks

Ahh i see, well she does it a lot even when shes all puffed up and re-arranging the food in her crop and shes the only bird in the room.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Might just be a habit then, every bird has their own quirks.

Name
    Arian
    Thanks

I hope so i wouldn't have thought that she was uncomfortable? as she lets me rub her all over, she eats from my hands..you know, normal calm happy stuff its funny though, her fish eyes hehe!