Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg arabianhorselover's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Reasonable Rehoming Fee?

There is someone in my area (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) who is rehoming a Meyer's parrot. They want $375.00 for the bird. It is 8 years old, and they have not had it very long. Does this sound reasonable to you?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Reasonable Rehoming Fee?

Poor bird, I feel so sorry for birds that need to be re homed and this one sounds like it has been through this already. Personally I think if someone cant have a bird and wants to re home it they should give it to a good home for no charge because it makes me think they are doing it for the money when they sell them. I am big into rescues who take these birds and give them a loving home after they make sure the birds are OK to be rehomed and they do not charge or pay for birds they take in because to them it is all about finding the bird a good home and not what they make off of it. With that said I looked up some ads here and see them selling for about the price you found this one for. The one I seen comes with everything, the cage, the food and all the toys and other things the owner bought for it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

$350 seems a bit high for a rehoming fee, in my opinion - it is almost as much as buying one flat out. Typically rehoming fees should just be small fees so they know the owner has the money and dedication required for the animal. It is an OK sale price, depending on area of course.

Deanna, I don't mind rehoming fees - so many shady people show up to "free animal" advertisements, it's so hard to know which ones want a real pet and which ones want it just because it's free and it's cool. A lot of owners have trouble interviewing potential homes and knowing what is truth or not, so a rehoming fee is just another safeguard to try to make sure your pet goes to a good home. My rabbit cost $40 in rehoming fees, but she was willing to go lower to make sure the little girl went to a good home, she just wasn't willing to advertise it as free because snake owners, etc scour free animal ads for free food for their animals. And backyard breeders love free pet ads, since they don't care about the genetics of their stock, just that they are young and can breed.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I can see your point Marie because you do get lots of calls when something is free. Small rehoming fees are OK, rescues charge a small fee also but they also make sure the home is going to be a good forever home. I will admit it that when someone is selling there bird that they kept as a pet it somewhat makes me more then mad at them because I greatly feel that if you get a pet that pet should be able to live out its life with you as a loved member of your family. To sell a family member in my eyes is something I would never do, but then I never have been put into a situation where I couldnt no longer keep a loved pet so I cant even fathom selling a loved pet or even giving it away.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Personally I hate this term "re-homing fee" or "adoption fee." If you are an animal shelter or SPCA ok that goes for the care of other animals.

For an individual - call it what it is - you are selling the bird. Rehoming an animal is giving it away.

Oh and the cost $375- they are selling the bird.

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

I agree wit Kerry...hate it when I see this!
    Please check your signatures to make sure they fit within our signature rules (to be found in the announcements forum)!

Supercharge your Tailfeathers account with bonus features -- join Tailfeathers Gold today!

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

They sent me a note saying they could do it for $310.00. That is still more than I want to pay. It sounds like a nice bird, but still. They say they paid $450.00 for it.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Yeah I'm not too big on 'rehoming fees' that high, although a few of my fids were 'rehomes' which I paid quite a bit for.
    I was put in a situation where I had to rehome all my fids and that's what I did. I gave them all to a rescue lady I was friends with for years, along with all of their cages, toys, food, etc. who in turn found them all good homes. And I put thousands into my birds. But I loved them all dearly and wanted them to find good homes. So I didn't dare charge a cent for them, as long as I knew they were going to good homes. And I know they all did and that's all that mattered to me.
    So if you really love your bird or pet, and if you absolutely must find them a new home, giving them to a rescue or at least interview new potential owners and charge a small rehoming fee, if you must, just to be sure the new owner has the funds to properly care for the animal is the only way to go.

They are selling that bird, not rehoming it.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Well, I suspect that I just lost out on the deal because I sent a note back saying that i understood them wanting to get back as much of their money as possible, but that they shouldn't be calling it a re-homing fee.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Yeah, that isn't a rehoming fee, that is them trying to get back their investment... which means they care more for the money than for the animal. A rehoming fee would be like $50 and the person should be willing to wave it if the home is good, it should just be a method of weeding out only serious offers. IE: The lady I got my bun for said what we gave her was up to us, since we were a good home, she didn't care about the money so much as placing her. If a person is going to use a rehome fee, they should keep it small, just a deterrent to people who watch for free animal ads, not get greedy. At that price, you could get a well socialized bird in known good health from a reputable breeder (well, nearly).

Most people I know in the dog and small animal communities use the rehome fee because they fear stories they have heard. Dog fighters watch the ads for puppies/kittens/cats etc for bait animals, snake owners for snake food. My mother knew a guy that would convince free-to-good-home people that he would provide a good home for their pet, then take it home and feed it to his very large snake he kept on the porch because it was too big to keep inside anymore, he kept a video collection of his snakes kills. But they would all happily give their pet and all supplies to someone they knew would care for it for free.

Personally, if I ever had to rehome my babies... I think I would go for a very, very long interview instead. And probably insist on bringing them over to the persons house personally, so I could check out the living arrangements. But, I would rather move back in with my mother than give up my babies, so that isn't likely to be needed.

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Well, I would go nuts if I moved in with my Mother, so that would be a big problem!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Brittany everytime I read your words about your birds I feel so sad for you, what you did for them is such a heartbreaking thing to do but you did what you had to do because you loved them. If I were ever in a situation I needed to give boomer away I would have taken him to a rescue also because they really do go out of there way to find them a perfect forever home. This is what you do when you can no longer keep your loved birds, you dont sell them to make money.

I am sorry you didnt get this bird Lisa and hopefully your words to the owner made them feel guilty for selling there bird. I do hope the bird went to a good home and wont be rehomed again in its future. Have you looked around your area for a bird rescue? They do charge a rehoming fee but it sure isnt a huge fee and the birds coming from rescues have all been socialized, given good vet care and are just such sweet birds that just need a good forever home.

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

I live in a rural area, and there aren't any bird rescues near me. I'm not really looking for a bird; just happened to see the ad for this one.