Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Found an outdoor budgie

Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

Question Found an outdoor budgie

There is a beautiful light blue female budgie flying about my home. She looks hungry and lost. Since Cosmo has been a total brat lately, I think it might be good for him to have a next-cage companion (I don't want eggs), and there are no 'Missing Bird' signs anywhere in the neighborhood, and she looks so frightened...
    The only problem is I cannot catch her. She came near me and ate a little out of the shoebox I filled with seed, but kept falling in, and every time she fell in she would gripe and fly away. She seems relatively used to humans, since she came within a meter of me, but she will fly away and perch in a dead tree if I make any sudden moves (such as catching her).

Any suggestions you have on how to bring Ametrine into my avian family would be welcome, thanks.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Re: Found an outdoor budgie

Got a spare cage? She must be familiar with cages... put the seed in there and sit near the cage, motionless. If she gets into it, you will know what to do... I wish the best of luck to both you and her. Keep trying!

Name
    Lark
    Thanks

If she is eating, slowly approach her from behind. Get as close as you can. And I know the next part sounds mean, but if she won't get into a cage, ot does work.

Cover your hands with a towel and quickly grab her. Then release her into a spare cage that has food, water, and all the neccessaties a keet needs. I used this techque (I know I am a horridble speller!) to catch a love bird that was flying around the woods. It had escaped from someone's house, and they were very happy to have it back!

Catching with a towel prevents fear or the human hand, as grabbing her with your bare hands would.

You might want to try posting 'Found' poster around your neighborhood, and even go the extra mile as to post an ad on craigslist. But don't post any pictures or tell what the bird looks like. Simply say- 'Female Parakeet found (insert location here). If you think it might be yours, please email/call me at (insert contact info here) and describe yoir bird!' That way, people who want a free budgie can't say 'Oh yes, it is mine!' but people who did actually lose her can get her back.

If no ine replies within a week, consider her yours!

Keep us posted!

Naava <(")

Name
    Lark
    Thanks

Also, do you live near Sea Street, Hyanis? Someone posted an ad in craigslist for a lost, light blue female...

Good luck!

Naava

Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

I do not live there, and oddly enough, I do not have a spare cage. Perfect (sarcastic).

I bet I could get one easy enough, for cheap... do you think a smaller cage would work, something like some other birds besides budgies are hauled around in, with the little swinging perch? Because I cannot afford a bigger one.
    Perhaps I could buy some sort of insert to keep my new keet and Cosmo apart, so they cannot breed. The last thing I need in my hectic life is baby birds to find loving homes for. Although that could be a small problem, due to the fact that Cosmo is very territorial and he has not been near another budgie, perhaps another bird, since we got him. He might be agressive toward my new bird's invasion into right half of the cage.

If anyone needs it, the cage's dimensions are:
    21 1/2 inches top to bottom,
    16 inches across the front,
    11 inches across the side.

The divider would probably be down the middle. Do you think this is enough room for a bird on each side?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

Also, you could entice her with millet. Keets LOVE millet like tiels do!! You might also consider getting a net such as those that people catch bugs in. As long as the netting is fine threaded she couldn't slip out of the net. As far as the size of a cage is concerned, you could get one of the smaller and cheaper ones for now, until you could find a bigger one. I have one keet now and have had several at one time in the past. Those small cages do come in handy, for several uses.

Sure hope you catch her!! Good luck!!

Name
    Beth
    Thanks

My grandma apparently used to practically attract escaped budgies to her garden and she'd sit there talking to them until they came on her finger and she'd just put her thumb over their foot so they couldn't get away and she could put them into a cage not the best technique, but it worked XD

Good luck, hope everything goes okay with catching her and if she needs returning to her owner!!

Name
    Lark
    Thanks

That should be enough room for each budgie. Depending on how your Cosmo accepts the new budgie, you might not have to keep the divider in. Just becauce they are male and female doesn't mean they breed, and if they do, they won't ley eggs if not provided with a place to nest/nesting materials. Or you could just take the eggs away and replace them with white marbles.

Hope it all works out!

Remove Ads