Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: So, I picked up a lonely little budgie from a tag-sale...

Name
    Jamie
    Thanks

Red face So, I picked up a lonely little budgie from a tag-sale...

As the title states, today, I happened upon a little blue budgie at a tag-sale... her owners no longer wanted her. She's beautiful, seems to be in great health after i checked her over, and came with a nice big cage... I'm thinking she will make a nice friend for my parakeet I already have, June!

I plan on trying to hand-tame the new budgie (the same way i did with my other, very gradually), before introducing her any further to my other bird. Right now, i have both their cages sitting next to each other, and they both seem so happy- yet.. a calm sort of happy. They're not flapping around like mad trying to get at one another- they're simply sitting closeby and preening, tweeting to each other now and again- it's so sweet.

I have some questions, though. They would be...:

*How long should I wait before, perhaps, letting them share a cage? Or, should I keep them separate? My hope is that once i've worked with them both, they'll see me as a friend and not forget that, once they're together... Or is that what naturally happens?

*Will my training done with June (my first bird) hold? Or will she slowly begin to ignore me as I introduce her to the newbie?

*They're both female, as far as I can tell. Will two females get along?

*...(I probably have more but can't think of them at the moment. XD;; Feel free to send advice my way!)

Also, June is about... 5 months old, and this new one is about 7.

If you want to read the whole story I wrote about finding this new budgie (complete with pictures!), check out my tumblr blog!: http://greenteamarshmallow.tumblr.co...-in-a-cage-too

Anyways, thanks for any advice you may give! <

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: So, I picked up a lonely little budgie from a tag-sale...

If you want them to share a cage, wait until you are sure they are bonded (preening, cuddling, etc) and do it gradually. Supervised cage time together. As for your current bird, she may start to favor the bird more if she likes her - but should still be tame. It depends on the birds personalities and how close they bond. Two females can get along, but if you don't want babies, make sure they are both female before you house them together.

It's usually a good idea to keep a new bird in a different room for a bit before you let them be near each other in case of bacterial infections, but just keep an eye on them in case the new one brought something with her.

Name
    Jamie
    Thanks

Some hours have passed, and i'm observing them more. New budgie really appears to want to be close to my other one... I feel almost bad keeping them in different cages! (though I want to still work on my plan to get the new one trained.. ^_^

How long should I wait before introducing them/giving them supervised cage time?

Name
    Lark
    Thanks

Two birds of the same sex usually get along- in fact, all budgies usually get along! June or the new bird may take on the role as the male and serenade the other bird and act as a stand-in mate.

Usually it is better to have the new bird be younger than your current bird, but since they are ok with each other, I think it is fine.

As for training, your bird may became as bonded to the new keet as she is to you, but she will certainly still be tamed!

And it depends on when the birds are ready. If they are completly ok with each other, start by putting the new bird in June's cage for a hour or two at a time (supervised). In fact, letting them fly sround together for a few days before doing this would be even better. Slowly extend the amount of time in June's cage until she is in there for the whole day!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Budgie Mumma Brand New Egg Janene's Avatar
    Name
    Janene
    Thanks

You have probably introduced them by now But generally if you introduce a new bird you should keep it quarantined from other birds for at least a month - longer if possible incase it is sick with something. Birds are genius at hiding illness (survival technique)