Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: Ollie just laid her very first egg!!

The Lupron worked for my tiel.. But it's not cheap. When I did bring her in for her injections, I recall writing a check for over $100.00. Yikes!!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Carolyn and Karen, Well, you know I don't know if it was Ollie's first time laying eggs. I bought her on June 2nd from Petco PetShop and the only info that the clerk gave me was that she had been there for only a week, because the clerk was cleaning the cages that day, and since it was a Monday, the clerk told me she had been on vacation the week before and it was her first time to see the tiels for awhile. There were only two that day. The cage is quite a big "aviary, so to speak, so room was not the issue for the tiels. It was relatively clean in there, although as you know it never is what it should be in any pet shop so to speak. But in this area, there are very few breeders who advertise their birds, and on the web I never see any either. Since I did have tiels before, and judging from Ollie's behavior the first few weeks, I just assumed she was a baby tiel. Maybe I was wrong. But I will say that first egg she laid was rather labored, because she was just laying on the bottom of the cage with her feathers all fluffed up, and to me was having a pretty difficult time pushing that first egg out. One never knows what you are going to experience with any pet you bring home from a pet shop. That particular day my "heart" was leading me, and I just brought her right home with me and that was it! Recently I read on another forum where a young girl called her vet and asked if he knew of any breeders in the area. The vet said he didn't know of any breeders but did direct her to a small pet shop in the area. There were 4 tiels in a very small cage, some other animals in various cages, etc., etc., so the girl picked out one of the cockatiels and the pet shop owner said he would clip the wings (the girl had not asked him to do so). So when she got home she found blood in the box and one wing was really chopped up pretty badly, so the girl was on-line trying to find out what to do. She was advised to take the bird to her vet immediately, and to also call the pet shop owner and ask him specifically wht he had done to the bird. His reply was that he "only clipped ONE wing", because that is the only way a tiel can learn how to fly inside. Now you two and I both know what would have happened to that little tiel if she would have let him out to fly. Most likely he would have injured himself and might have even lost his life. The last post I read from that young girl was that she was taking the bird to her vet for a check-up. That the bird was terribly traumatized and scared for a day or so, but was beginning to come out of her shell and was eating and drinking a little water.

So, there you go!! One never knows what experiences you are going to have with tiels that you bring into your home. I am very lucky, and thankful to God that all has worked out well with Ollie! She is doing fine, no egg yet today. I had to throw one away. She doesn't set much at all. She isn't showing much interest in the eggs at all.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-17-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hi Ellen,
    If Ollie isn't showing to much interest in her egg, she maybe getting out of her egg laying stage soon. Is she moving around in her cage more is she more focused towards the bottom where she laid her egg? Ollie is very lucky that you found her at Petco. Woodstock did come from a pet shop. My brother originally bought about a year later after his lutino died from egg binding. My brother became a victim to the Michigan economy and lost his home. I told him I would take Woodstock because I hated to see him go back to a pet shop. It took Woodstock about a week to adjust. But it only took a few days for him to make my heart melt. I have read many horror stories about purchasing fids from pet shops. Your are very blessed that you and Ollie adopted each other. Sounds like your Petco has their act together better than the one near me. I actually seen a dead keet in one of cages. Management was aware of it but did not remove right away.. Since then, I shop elsewhere.

By the way, I was talking to my other half John on are ride to Northern Michigan this evening. I mentioned to him that we are definitely getting another fid in the spring.. He asked me if I already had a name picked out.. He knows me that well. Of course, I was thinking of naming my next tiel Tango.

Have a great night!!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Carolyn, I LOVE the name Tango. In fact, when I had all of my keets a few years ago, and Buttercup and Nicki (who I thought was a female), bonded and she laid four eggs, I chose these names: Mango, Tango, Limon and Lemon. Limon and Lemon were yellow, and Mango and Tango were green. Buttercup was a pied green, and Nicki was a yellow. At that time I had 9 keets and 4 tiels!! As I look back upon it, I'd do it all over again! I had the greatest time with all of them! Now, fast forward to Ollie! Yes, I truly was blessed to bring Ollie into my life! I had no plans to bring home a fid the day I went to Petco. I was picking up bird seed for my Parakeets. But as I'm sure you have read in my posts here, around the corner I came into the Aviary department, and there she sat in that pretty good size aviary with another one that looked quite alot like her. I don't know about you, but somehow, I have a keen intuition about looking at and sizing up tiels and keets, and my heart will tell me which one to pick. Ollie immediately got my attention, and I had just been researching at that time, trying to find any info as to how to sex tiels. I really wanted a female, and the only info I had found at the time was that females will have a yellow feather growing on each side of their tail, and the tail will have bars. Well all of that stood out with Ollie. So home she came with me. Almost immediately I found this forum because I was seeking more info about tiels behavior and care, because I feel you can find lots of good info on a site like this, and also share your opinions and your memories of your fids. I think this is THE BEST COMMUNITY of all that I have visited on-line! I have always had very good luck with purchasing parakeets at this Petco. I've had several from that store. We also have a Pet Smart in that same City, and they too have quality birds. Petco birds are banded. Pet Smart birds are not. My little keet, Maxi, will be 5 years old in April and he came from Petco. But as you say, the "nightmares" of Pet Shops, and may I add, sometimes "breeders" like the one I spoke about clipping one wing of the tiel before he sold it, would make any person be ambivilent about purchasing ANY pet in those kind of places.

So, today, Ollie is having a great time in her cage. She has spent the whole morning out here in the living room with Maxi and I. And she is eating, playing with her toys, drinking her water, and is also taking a bath. I put one of her watering cupts in the bottom of the cage so she can play in the water. As you know, tiels love water. No egg last night or today, so I think (5) will be it this round. She doesn't nest at all on them. Goes over to the corner and checks them out once in awhile. How long do you think I will need to leave them in the cage.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yikes is right!! I'll have to pray hard that Ollie won't turn out to be a chronic egg layer! That money isn't in my budget for sure!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Karen, just an update to let you know Ollie hasn't laid any more eggs. So I think (5) is the limit for this round. She is back to her "perky" self, flapping her wings, loving scritches, and eating well. I know you've had alot of experience with Jaspa, so I also will welcome your opinion in regard to the eggs. There are (4) because I had to throw one away. She hasn't shown any interest in them. Today only one time was she rolling them around, but didn't set on them, and almost immediately came back to her rope perch and/or her seed cup. I have found that all of the tiels I ever had liked to "perch" alot of the time on their seed cups. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but it seems Ollie also spends quite a bit of her time there, or on the water cup, or on her rope perch with her toys. She is already in bed (7:15 p.m.) here, and that is a little later than usual because she has been welcoming her bed time about 6:30. She definitely has lost the "hormonal" behavior she was displaying, and her droppings are back to normal (not watery) and she isn't constantly eating food and drinking water.

Were you close to the Earth Quakes that hit New Zealand recently? Have a blessed week-end! I'll be posting again soon!

Name
    Kaz
    Thanks

Hi you guys

Sorry not been on for much of the weekend so a bit to catch up on. Yes the Lupron is expensive - Jaspa has three, two weeks apart, the first vet visit is full price, the other two rechecks so a bit cheaper but the lupron is quite expensive in itself. Jaspa was a bit clucky Friday and I called the vets but they said to try and work on the behaviour stuff (put her to bed early which I havent been so good about) before bringing her back in for another injection so soon. Will let you know how it goes.

We've been busy this weekend- we water blasted Gab's cage and today my husband made some landing perches (made from pine) so Jaspa's feet can be outstretched if they want to - they look really good. We bought some stainless steel washers too and he drilled one landing perch in. Jaspa's not so keen yet - only if I leave a treat on it will she walk on it. Plus we went to a pet shop and got some tee tree branches and a couple of other calcium branches. I was a bit indulgent and ordered some new toys from the US on Friday.

Ellen I wonder whether its worth taking the eggs out if Ollie's not interested? I am remembering there have been a couple of times Jaspa didnt bother sitting on the odd egg so I just took it out. Jaspa likes sitting on her food dish too - sometimes if she stays at my mother's she'll sleep on it. I remember reading somewhere its so they're close to the food but who knows.

What made you want to get a female Ellen? Were your other tiels males? Jaspa was meant to be male and ended up being a female - they are definitely cuddlier and smoochy but then having Gab made me realise how precious the males are too with their antics, singing, whistling, talking, and courage. Jaspa chose me too - my budgie Zakie had just died of being egg bound (vet tried operating but she died overnight after operation at vets) and I went to pet shop and there were some baby tiels - Jaspa kept coming and playing with my bangle - I was hooked on her and my heart melted - she was coming home with me! In a roundabout way Gab choose me too. I do believe things happen for a reason and we're in the right place at the right time.

It must have been hard losing your dad at such an early age. Its lovely you have a son and grandchildren - I bet they like coming around and seeing your birds. And Ollie and Maxi are very fortunate to enjoy the piano music.

Carolyn - its lovely for you to look forward to having another fid and Tango is a great name. Its atrocious to think about the story about the petshop - I cringe thinking about that and not very sensitive of the staff/owners. Woodstock was one lucky bird.

The earthquake was in Christchurch, the South Island. I live in Auckland which is the north area of the North Island - about 1 1/2 hours flight away so quite a way. In fact I've never been to Christchurch though I lived in the UK for 11 years!

Tiels Gabi (RIP Aug 2011 - 3 yrs) and Jaspa (RIP Sept 2014 - 12 yrs); Tiel Olli (3 yrs)
    Budgies Sam and Zakie - RIP

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi! I had one female tiel and 3 male tiels. The males were named Bobber, a pied (the breeder named him Bobber because his head bobbed up and down when he first hatched and reminded him of a fishing bobber); Big Bird, (I named him Big Bird because he was so big) a yellow tiel with dark, but not red eyes); Jesse, a dark grey male with black feet and beak; and Hope, the female, a beautiful white face cinnamon. She was the sweetest and loving of the group. And when I got her, the breeder released her to me before she was old enough to be homed, and she nearly died, because she hadn't learned to eat enough seed. That also was a scary experience. She had very loose droppings and was all fluffed up the next day after I brought her home, so I dropped everything I was doing and immediately drove to the Pet Store and bought some powdered food for her. I also buy a bird antibiotic and put it in the water for a few days when I first bring them home from the Pet Shop or Breeder, in case there is an infection in their body that I am not aware of. I fed her Exact along with the seed diet for awhile, because she definitely was not getting enough to eat without it. I didn't have any experience with tiels at the time. And I just expected a tiel to be like a keet. I sure was wrong about that. It was my love for Hope that made me want to have another female tiel.

Yes, my grandaughters love to come to my home and to see Maxi and Ollie! They have a black lab, named Lilly, who is about 9 years old. She has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. Needless to say, they are the "joy" of my life (next to Ollie and Max of course)!

Thanks for the suggestion about Ollie's eggs. At this point I am pretty sure she has abandoned them. She hasn't even bothered to look at them today, so I will be removing them very soon! It was two weeks ago today that she laid the first one. She is doing fine and is a happy camper today. Right now she is flock calling, eating toast and wating for some scritches.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-18-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Your husband is very talented. I'll bet Jaspa will LOVE the new set-up! The Pet Shops around this area don't have wood such as what you speak of, and I don't use wooden perches, I use rope. Sometimes they put plastic ones in cages also. I won't use them either. I think in California and Hawaii there are many different types of wood available. I've seen some really neat fid setups on other forums. It seems that Canada also has many options. Here in the Middle West we are limited, I think especially because of the weather patterns.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hello Ellen and Kaz,
    I haven't been online too much this past weekend myself. We were in Northern Michigan this past weekend closing up for the winter. Can't believe how much the leaves have changed colors already and it's not even the official fall season.

Ellen, glad to hear that Ollie is coming back to her old self again. From what I have read, your fid is showing the normal behavior of a female again. I do recall Piper getting hormonal in the spring around March. But if Ollie isn't showing any interest in her eggs, I would just remove them. Glad that she is enjoying her time out of the cage with you and Maxi. I think it's very healthy that our fids bond with us. I know both Piper and Woodstock enjoyed being out of their cages. They both had foot fetishes. Woodstock learned it from Piper. They were both very content sitting on my bare feet. The only time I didn't enjoy it was when their nails were not trimmed. Sometimes it felt like razor blades moving on my feet. Funny how they just didn't like it when I wore socks.

Kaz, I would love to see the new landing purchases made out of pine. Hope you post some pics. Your very lucky that your vet charged you less for the lupron injections after the first one. Unfortunately, our fids can't tell us what's wrong with them and we are at the mercy of a vet. But as well as everyone knows, they do come with a price. There are about 3 avian vets in my area that I can rely on. I do know of one clinic that is open 24/7 with an avian vet on staff. Also glad to read that you were not affected by the earthquake.

The reason why I am waiting till Spring to get my new fid is that the Michigan winters can be darn right cold. A breeder that I do know always has tiels in the spring. He is a very reliable breeder and had good luck with him when I purchased Piper. After I got her, he called me occasionally to see how she was doing and always looking for feedback and suggestions to be a better breeder. I couldn't give him any because he is that good. I recommended him to my brother when he was looking, but he bought Woodstock at a local pet shop. Woodstock was a great bird and one heck of a singer and whistler. When my brother became a victim to the Michigan economy I had to take him. We bonded right away as soon as I brought him to my home.

The reason I chose Tango was from the ham radio alphabet. I know pilots use the ham radio alphabet quite a bit. My other half John does have an expensive hobby and that he does love to fly. He has a Cessna 172 airplane, but it's been sitting in a hangar in need of repair. I named Piper after the Piper Cub aircraft. So I wanted to chose another avian type name. I will not know until the spring of the sex of my next tiel, so I thought I would go with a generic name. Tango just popped out at me.

This is a great community of people who love their birds.. Wish I would have been more active when I signed up in 2008. I would reference other threads and forums to find out idea's about my tiels regarding behavior, cages, toys, food, etc. But this network of bird lovers is the absolute best.
    Last edited by Pipers Mom; 09-18-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo

Name
    Kaz
    Thanks

Great names Ellen - I like reading the names of birds. And Hope's name suited her - shame on the breeder. Jesse's a cool name. Great to hear about Ollie - I'd definitely remove the eggs and let her get on with being herself - the cluckyness might be out of her system. Hows Lily with the birds? Sad to hear about the diabetes - are they injecting her twice daily? My mother's dashhound got diabetes and went blind - he was able to find his way around because he knew the house and garden layout and his brother helped him too (they had two dashhounds that were brothers).

The landing perch I referred to is actually a platform perch (dont know why I referred to it as a landing one!). I have four cages, two day time cages with loads of toys, different perches, a toy box filed with toys (large stainess steel dish) and then two other cages - one really large one that Jaspa sleeps in but am turning that into a play cage for two birds when we're home and another smaller one that Gabi used to sleep in. The birds sleep in our bedroom but their day cages are in the living room. We might buy another smaller cage as another night cage. I dont like rope perches as I'm scarred the birds might get their nails hooked in them when Im at work and Im not there to help them - likewise I dont have any toys that hang with cotton rope in case they get caught. However, I do have a sisal rope perch and have just bought a sisal boing so wll put those in the very large cage for something different. I'll take some pictures of the platform perch this weekend - the only thing it could do with is some grooves in it.

Carolyn sounds like you have a holiday home. I laughed about the foot fetish! Your breeder sounds a wonderful caring person - to keep in touch like that is amazing - no wonder people want to buy new birds from him again - thats the way it should be. You're lucky having 3 local avian vets - we've got two here. I signed up in 2008 on this board and a lot of the members then seemed to have disappeared - it is a great forum. What a neat way to name your birds too - your partner would be chuffed!

Tiels Gabi (RIP Aug 2011 - 3 yrs) and Jaspa (RIP Sept 2014 - 12 yrs); Tiel Olli (3 yrs)

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi Carolyn and Karen, I enjoy reading your posts, so keep the comments coming!!! Carolyn, my cousin I referred to that lives in Lansing, and her husband, have "gone fishin" to the lake every summer for years. They own a small cabin about an hour or so away from their home. I LOVE to fish, and have had the opportunity to fish in Wisconsin a few times. Illinois doesn't have many "fishing holes" (lol). The Illinois River, which happens to run right through my little town is not fit for eating them, let alone trying to catch one. The water level is so low right now I doubt that anyone would have much luck catching anything, and about the only fish to catch would be carp, bull head, or catfish. I personally love "Northern Pike". Now I also like Walleye, but I just LOVE the taste of Northern. And it has a good firmness to it. We too are beginning to see the beautiful fall colors in this area. We have the perfect setting for some beautiful fall pictures if the cool mornings and warm days are just right for God to paint the colors on those leaves.

Yes, you definitely are blessed to have such a wonderful breeder as well as good avian vets in your area. The remark I made about the lupron was not to say I wouldn't treat Ollie if she needs to have it. She is so very special to me, and I would never allow her to be sick without a Vet intervening. Yes, Lily, the lab, has to have shots each day. My daughter-in-law gives them to her. She was a very big and healthy lab for so long. Now with the diabetes she has lost alot of weight, and they have to take her out for exercise every day, rain or shine, and also have to feed her special dog food. She can no longer eat any little extras that the kids might throw to her! My son often emails me and uses the word "yikes". And usually he signs his name, "Sonny" (not his real name), because when he was growing up my mom lived with us and on occasion the two of them would "scrap" about something, and my mom would say to him " Now listen here, Sonny"! And I always sign my e-mails #122, because my Dad had a sister who lived to be 102, and one that lived to be 98. And I told my son, that I might just as well surpass their longivity and hit the 122 mark! (lol)

Karen, I too have had many cages for birds in my home in the past. I always put my "fids" in the bedroom at night also. With the small apartment I live in now, I don't have room for that many, so Ollie has a good size cage, but it is light enough I can carry it. And Maxi's cage is abit smaller. My apartment is too small for so many. I know whenever you and Tony decide to either get an Aviary, or be involved in a rescue, you will be excellent caregivers to all of the fids that are hurting, have been lost and/or abused. It takes a speial person to fill those shoes, and I know you two, (and you also Carolyn) could do so, with no effort whatsoever. Ollie is back to her happy self, and enjoying her food, her toys, her fun time and her scritches! Have a blessed day!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-19-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

We have a holiday home in a town called Lake City. It's in Missaukee County just North East of Cadillac. People laugh at us when we tell them are property sits at the end of a runway. It does!! It's actually a sky ranch where people have their summer homes and some all year long that are scattered throughout two different runways that cross each other. No commercial aircraft. The runway is grass. The street names are referenced as taxiways. It's very different, but I love it. Many people we know fly up there for the summer and fly home when the weather is turning cooler. We usually drive. The plane is in the hangar waiting for some additional repairs and has to be approved by an FAA mechanic before John can fly the friendly skies again. We are only three miles away from town and the lake. Ellen, like you, I love to fish too! One thing I can say about Michigan, there is no shortage of fishing holes. My personal favorite is fresh lake perch.

I am so sorry to hear that Lily the Lab has diabetes. I know my friend has a dog that's diabetic and shares the same daily ritual that your daughter in-law experiences each day. They do the same thing for their dogs as we would do for our fids. I did get a great chuckle when you referred to your son as Sonny. My grandmother used to say that to my brothers when they tested her patience when we were kids growing up. It's nice that you have longevity in your family. My grandmother lived to be 94 and her sister lived to be 102 as well.

I learned today that a co-worker is going to Maine to celebrate his 25th wedding anniversary. He asked me today that if I could watch Butch. Butch is a grey tiel that is about 12 years old. I have watched him many times when they left town. It's going to be nice to have a tiel for a couple weeks. He has a great temperament and loves grapes. Not too big on eggs though. So I should be getting him either Friday and Saturday morning. I am looking very forward to having another feather friend around. What really surprises me that he adjusts so well to surroundings. So I am very fortunate about that.

I was reading earlier about the rope perches. I used both wood and rope. The rope didn't bother my tiels nails at all. I had different diameters so arthritis wouldn't set in their feet using the same diameter. The only issue I had with the rope that it was harder to clean, but my birds actually liked them more than the wood. My brother also built gyms for me with toys attached to them. It seemed like Piper my female enjoyed them more than Woodstock. Woodstock was more interested with bells. He could sit on his perch for a long periods of time just knocking them around with his beak and quickly put his head near the knocker so he can get his neck scratched from it. If the toy did not have a bell, he would not touch it. Piper was not really interested in toys. She was not much of a flyer, but a walker and a climber. I could put anything paper near her and it would be shredded within minutes. They are so funny when it comes to their individual likings.

Glad to hear that Ollie is back to her old self again. Now that you have experienced her hormone stage, you now know the signs to look for.

Have a great day everyone!!
    Last edited by Pipers Mom; 09-19-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: additional

Name
    Kaz
    Thanks

Gee you ladies sound like you're really outdoors types. I dont like fishing - I actually feel sorry for the fish being caught! Not that I dont eat them when they are fried in breadcrumbs though!

Ellen, great to hear that Ollie is back to normal. Your birds are very lucky to have bedroom cages too. I was touched by your lovely words. We are waiting for a tenant to leave (given notice) to sell a property my husband owns with his ex (the ex doesnt pay her way and has been causing us a lot of stress) and for all the trouble its caused I hope he makes a small profit so it can go towards getting our own home - once that happens I've already planned my 'bird room' and will get some other birds to add to my tiel family - but the tiels will always have a special place in my heart. I've told Jaspa she'll be head girl! Hope Lilly does okay - my brother used to do the insulin on the dashhound and occasionally when I returned from living in London I would help out - my mother doesnt like doing things like that - in fact doesnt like handling her budgie much - I am taking him to the vets for a nail clip this weekend as they are far too long and I had to intervene. I can't cut them like I do Jaspa's as they are black nails and hard to see where the blood flow ends. Jaspa's are pink so much easier.

Carolyn what a neat little place called Lake City. How often do you get up there? Thats lovely for you having Butch to care for - and he'll be very well cared for too. Is he a bit of a character? Maybe I'll try and find a shorter sisal rope perch from somewhere (the one I have is quite long and better for the larger cage) and try it out - it would be better for them to have some extra variety. Tonight Jaspa was actually standing on her platform perch - progress! She had been avoiding it except if I put a treat on it for tempation. Jaspa's not interested in toys either but she does rattle a toy with bells if she wants attention, especially if you're eating something that she wants. She just loves sitting, sitting on you, preening and loves flying. She does climb too. Gabi didnt climb but would make little flights to where he wanted to go but he adored his toys and would chuck out the toys of his 'toy box' each day - he loved hearing them drop and his cage was a real mess each night.

Right better get sorted and Jaspa's cage cleaned - nearly time for Fatal Attractions - about a cobra that attached its owner tonight!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi girls! Well, first of all, I wish to thank each of you for ALL of the help and support you have given to me through this "egg laying" experience that Ollie and I have been through. Your help and advice will always be remembered and appreciated. As I continue to say, this tiel feathers community is THE BEST!! I am so grateful I found it, and I also am very happy I made two new friends from around the world! I LOVE to communicate with other cultures as well as peoples all around the world, because in reality GOD/UNIVERSE/SPIRIT created ALL humans and other creatures on land and in the sea. So, it is really neat to hear about your lives and the things you do to enhance your walk with Spirit each day.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm excited for you, Carolyn, that you will get to keep "Butch" in your home. I'm sure you will have a great time with him, and it will just make you wish for a really fast-moving winter so you can get your new baby tiel next Spring. And Karen, I love the plans you have for your "bird room" when you get your new home. I KNOW it will be an AWESOME experience for you and Tony to have lots of fids to keep your days happy and busy.

Ollie is doing fine today. I threw her eggs out yesterday, and she doesn't even miss them. Right now she is eating her toast, and her fresh veggies. I will continue keeping her on the same diet she has been on, especially to keep her calcium levels and her health in tip-top shape. I am hopeful she will be satisfied to lay twice a year. I am going to continue to put her to sleep earlier at night, keep the bells out of her cage, and keep off of youtube to see the birds there. I'll be posting on this thread, so I hope to meet you here again one day soon! Again, THANKS YOU TWO . . . FOR EVERYTHING!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Thanks for being excited for me Ellen & Jaspa,

Butch is a character. He says "Butchie Bird", cough's, scrinches and he also likes to sing. My co-worker did inform me that he is going through a molt and they are going to wait to trim his flight feathers when he is done. So the living room mirror will be coming down during his stay. I hope I can video him coughing. My co-workers mother in-law lived with him and his wife for a couple of years. The mother in-law had emphysema, and Butch picked up her coughing. I am so looking very forward to his visit.

Glad that Ollie is doing better. And what makes it even better that she doesn't miss her eggs anymore. I am very happy that you and Kaz came into my life through this forum. As mentioned before, it's exciting to meet people who love their fids from all corners of the earth. Not only their fids, all animals. I'm very grateful that you helped me with Woodstock and all the kindness that you and Karen bring to this community. I enjoy helping people who needs help or suggestions for their feathered friends.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi! Carolyn, Well I am sure we have many things in common. I also like helping people, and like to post my opinions and comments about my feathered friends too! Butch sounds like he is a HOOT! Coughing!!! How cute!! I feel that you and Karen ALSO bring kindness to this community. Glenn Campbell once sang the song "Try a Little Kindness". Some of the words say, "If you try a little kindness, you will overlook the "blindness", of the narrow-minded people, on the narrow-minded street"! How true those words are.

Today, Ollie has been flock calling me from the living room while I was cleaning house. She can wolf-whistle too! So we get some competition going with all kinds of whistles! She listens, and then tries to whistle back what she heard. She definitely is a unique bird, because some of her mannerisms are that of a male tiel. She by no means is just a "setter", and mostly quiet. For her, quiet time is napping. And of course like most tiels, her favorite pass time is eating! She LOVES her seed. I also feed her some red wheat puffs that I bought at Wal-Mart. I think tiels are somewhat like small children. I have picked up on her ways to get my "attention", and usually it is because there is some food that she generally eats at a certain time of the day that she will want. I will be watching for your posts about Butch. I can hardly wait to hear all about his visit! To think he is 12 years old. Well taken care of I'm sure.

Karen, hope all is well with you and that Jaspa is providing you and Tony with lots of her love and personality! Wishing you, Tony, and Carolyn a GREAT day!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hi Ellen,
    I am laughing that you have competitions when whistling back and forth to each other. My tiels loved it when I did that. They always won. I stopped by the pet shop today to pick up a few supplies for Butch's arrival on Friday afternoon. I came close to buying another tiel (pied). I believe it was a male. Very skittish and frightened. I asked the manager if they had any information about the bird such as age, gender, is it fed pellets or seed, etc. They told me that the tiel just arrived this morning and they don't know anything. It just made me sad knowing that a pet store would put a bird on display for sale and not know anything about the little guy. I did tell them that I will be keeping in touch. It was very evident that the bird was very stressed.

Glad the Ollie is back to her old self. I find it very amusing when they start flock calling. I knew it used to get on John's nerves when he came home from work, but after he did talk to the Piper and Woodstock, they eventually calmed down. Eventually, it did turn into a game when he returned home from a long days work. It used to throw me for a loop because there were times I didn't know who was calling who.

I didn't know that Glenn Campbell sang "Try A Little Kindness". Learn something new everyday. I knew of the song but I had no idea who performed it. But the lyrics are so true. What a great comparison.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your evening with Maxi and Ollie.

Name
    Kaz
    Thanks

Hi Ellen and Carolyn

I can't believe the week has nearly gone. I may have some happy news on Saturday - will keep you in suspense until then but its bird related (of course) :-)

I can't believe that Ollie wolf whistles and plays with toys etc. Jaspa doesnt do any of that - right now she's sitting on my forearm preening herself - thats her favourite pasttime! Though she was interested that I had toast earlier on!

Aww Carolyn that is shameful that the pet shop knows nothing of the bird's history - it's all about the money for them sadly. It sounds like you were really tempted though.

Both Jaspa and Gabi flock call/ed - when they got together doing so it was painful to the ears -usually when we are home and not in the same room as they are.

Butch's coughing is funny - yes you'll have to put it on utube and post some pics of him too. I bet you're excited at having him stay.

Its lovely getting to know you lovely ladies too and I'm really glad Ollie laid those eggs :-) (mind you I hope thats it for a while).
    When I read others comments to posts I feel like I don't have that much experience to offer but when I feel I do have some from my tiels then I love adding what I know.

Happy Friday everyone.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi! girls, (maybe I should say "kids")!! lol Well, today, Ollie has been flock calling me and listening very carefully to all of the sounds I was making. I'm trying to get her to whistle some tunes. There was a little tiel by the name of Bailee on youtube, and Ollie loved to hear him chatter and whistle "Jingle Bells", but we don't go on there anymore, so I was trying to re-introduce Jingle Bells to her to see what she would do. She does get the rhythm right, but the "notes" are all about the same sound, but she's trying. There was a video here on the Community that one of my other friends her Matt had posted about his new bird Marley. Matt had a very sad experience himself not long ago. He had purchased a new tiel, and didn't have her long, and she accidently flew out the window. He lives in a building that is very tall, and she always loved to watch out the window. Of course he was devastated and posted here, so several of us encouraged him during that sad time, and also told him to consider getting another tiel. So sure enough, he found another one, this time, a male, and named him Marley. So now, he has posted a video of Marley, but I can't view it right now, because I tried to do so, and Ollie got all worked up, and I don't want another clutch of eggs anytime soon, so I'll have to watch the video when Ollie is sleeping.

Yes, it is interesting that Ollie is wolf whistling. She tried to do so when I first brought her home, and at that time I thought maybe my Olivia Honeybun (yes, that is her full name. The Honeybun comes from a name that a lady who babysat my son when he was very small gave to my son because she loved him so much) would end up being an Oliver. But now she laid 5 eggs to prove to me she indeed is my little Ollie! Have a blessed day you two!
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-22-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think that most Pet Shops give the same "testimonial" time after time to folks interested in purchasing birds from them. As we know it is only about the money! I would imagine they make pretty good money on a tiel (and even more $$$ on conures, lovebirds, etc.) because if you really think about a breeder who sells their birds to a Pet Shop chain like Petco, more than likely they don't charge alot of money if they have a big operation and are breeding many different pairs at one time. My Bobber was a beautiful pied. He really had a personality. He was kind of a combination of a male and female. He could be very verbal, and act like a male, but on his soft side there was that little tiel that always needed a "hug" at night before we went to bed, and he was the one that always would sit on my shoulder and just be content to be with me, where as the other 3 would be flying around, and most likely could be found sitting on top of the bird cage. I know how hard it is to see them at the pet shop and not to bring them home. There is no way of ever finding the history of the bird. You have to do as the Bible says, so to speak, "Walk by faith and not by sight" when you purchase one there. And the heartache is if you end up with one that isn't healthy, and ends up either at the vet with some real problem, or in the alternative doesn't make it and dies. I will say, Carolyn, that I believe you would be happy with a pied. He/She probably is very frightened if they told you the truth and he/she just arrived there. I suppose they arrive by truck, but I'm not sure. It would have to be transport that wouldn't be a long length of time or they would die on the way to the Pet Shop. I know you are a person that will be able to judge for yourself the best decision for "you", but in the meantime you will have the company of "Butch" for awhile. I know how empty it is when you don't have a tiel in your home. Been there and done that. The only reason I ever considered tiels was because one of my girlfriends had one and I was just kinda mesmerized with that one. Hie name was "Baby", and he could carry on a conversation with you on the phone . . . I was blown away by that behavior. He'd say, "hello, hello", this is Baby, Baby, pretty bird, pretty bird, and then just chatter away. When you would talk with him he would repeat the first few words again and again!! Tiels truly are intelligent birds. That is for certain.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Karen, I certainly am going to be tuned in for your "happy news"!! I hope it will be wonderful for you, Tony and Jaspa!! I'll be back on this thread to find out!! Have a wonderful weekend! And thanks for sharing Jaspa's life with us!!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Good afternoon ladies,
    I took a late lunch today and went to the pet shop to check on the Pied that I was looking at yesterday. He/she was gone. So I found an associate in the store and he told me the bird died overnight. I was so devastated by the news. The pet shop I visited wasn't a chain but a Mom-Pop local pet shop. It's clean and their cages accommodate all different size birds. The associate told me that last night he/she was sitting in the bottom of the cage just shaking. I asked if they knew if the bird came from a breeder? The associate couldn't tell me who supplied their birds. He did mention to me that some people bring their birds in to sell due do the owner not wanting to take on a pet or that the phase wore off. Again, I tried getting some kind of history and he couldn't tell me anything. I did ask them if they do have vet's that check them out? He told me that it is the purchaser's responsibility to get the birds checked by a vet. They only get vet checks for kitten's and puppies that are for sale.

Glad Butch will be here tomorrow. It has been a little to quiet without a bird. I'm going to try the youtube video's with Butch to see how he reacts. I've tried it with Woodstock and Piper but they didn't seemed to phased by it. They would just sit on their perches staring at me like "What are you doing?"

It's so funny that Ollie can wolf whistle! Especially being female. I must say you have a good listener that really enjoys your company.

Karen, can't wait for this weekend for you to share your good news. I'm sure it will bring much happiness to everyone. Especially with Tony and Jaspa.

Unfortunately, I need to get back to work. All be checking back to see if there are any new updates.

Name
    Kaz
    Thanks

Hiya

I cant believe that little bird died overnight - it must have been really sick. It makes me feel sick thinking about it. In hindsight you did the right thing Carolyn - you wouldnt want Butch coming into your home had you bought that bird and it being so unwell. Obviously the pet shops dont care about the health of the birds - with them only getting vet checks on kittens and puppies - like somehow birds dont matter. I understand how you feel empty without a feathered friend and I hope Butch gives you loads of pleasure. I also hope that the right bird will come into your life at the right time. Without Jaspa I would have felt really low, having lost Gab.

Bobber sounds adorable - he would be the ultimate of a tiel. And I cant believe that Ollie can whistle - thats amazing. The fact she's trying - she's quite young too so you never know. I'm trying to think back how long Gab took to talk - he was whistling quite early on which is when I realised he was a male and not female. I think I read about Marley and the loss of the other tiel - that was sad.

Have a great day - will post tomorrow. Short post tonight Im afraid.