Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ollie just laid her very first egg!!

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: Ollie just laid her very first egg!!

Hey Ellen, how is Ollie doing? Has she been dedicated at sitting on her eggs? Fall (or autumn as we call it) is a great time of the year - spring is pretty neat too. We are now into spring - actually our winter wasnt so bad. I'd like to be snowed in and not go to work for a few days! I guess with the cold winters you have to put up with really hot summers - we're more even here. There is a programme over here showing on tv called Fatal Attractions (on animal planet originally) - about people (mainly the US) that keep dangerous animals as pets - last night was bulls and buffalos - the week before bears and before that snakes. I find it incredible each time I watch it and am grateful I am sticking to birds and the usual domestic pets! I'd like to get a bichon mixed with a ****su dog at some point.

Tiels Gabi (RIP Aug 2011 - 3 yrs) and Jaspa (RIP Sept 2014 - 12 yrs); Tiel Olli (3 yrs)
    Budgies Sam and Zakie - RIP

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 1,018 Posts

Hi, Kaz, Well Ollie didn't lay her egg yesterday as usual so I thought maybe she was finished. But low and behold this morning she was sitting in her food cup when I got up, and she had laid her egg there. I felt really bad I didn't catch her because it seems when she is ready to lay the egg she likes me to be close by. I did check her a couple of times in the night and did find her in the food cup about 3:00 this morning, but I thought she was just hungry and eating her seed since I've been putting her to bed about an hour or so earlier in the evening. I am sure this is a learning experience for both of us. So now we are up to 5 eggs. She is eating, and does play with her toys some and sleeps but doesn't really pay much attention to the eggs. I see one has a "dent" in it now, don't know how that happened. She doesn't seem very interested in them at this point. And I don't know how many more she could lay. Her hormonal behavior has really tamped down since the beginning of all of this. Of course I took the bells off her toys in the cage, and as I said I put her to bed earlier in the evening, and we don't watch the tiel videos on youtube now. I'm trying everything I can to make this a "one time experience", for the "fall" season, and am so hopeful it will not occur again until next Spring. Speaking of dangerous animals there is a woman from New York whose face was completely destroyed by her chimpanzee that had lived in her home for many years. She had to undergo face reconstruction, and after two years of this terrible misery, she has just now been on TV showing off her new face and being grateful to be alive after that terrible experience. I always say that "animals" are just that. They do not have the ability to think as we do and we must respect that fact. I think sometimes people go overboard with exotics and think they can trust them.

Yes, our winters here can really be blustery. I think it soooo neat we have the web to share our different cultures and experiences across the "pond", and all over the world. I am a lover of culture, and enjoy conversing with ALL peoples. I found a real inspiration in Dr. Deepak Chopra, who you may have heard of, and I meditate on a daily basis. I am deep into mind-body-spirit work, and the connection between the three. I am a Christian, and will ALWAYS believe in God, but for me, the "enhancement" of Dr. Chopra's beliefs for my life have been astounding. I only live one moment at a time. I don't look back to the past, and I don't look forward to the future. It has really changed my life from one that used to be full of "anxiety" about every last thing, to a life of "peace", and tranquility, even in the midst of life's challenges.

I'll check back in a day or so and let you know what's happening with Ollie! I also like to watch animal planet, and also the "dog show competitions". We have both of the dog breeds you mention in America. Today in this country it costs BIG $$$$$ to buy a pedigreed dog. But we have many, many animal shelters, and bird rescues, so there is always something to find and choose from those places. I think a dog like the one you would like would just be precious and sooooooo neat, and I would bet full of personality and easy to have in your home.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Kaz, Since you have had so much experience with Jaspa and egg laying, I have a couple of concerns I was going to ask you to address. It seems that Ollie isn't setting much at all on the eggs, and I see where she has been picking on the shells so that a couple have been "seeping" the yolk and white. I keep taking out the white paper towels I use on the bottom and cleaning up the cage several times a day because I don't want her to get salmonella from perhaps eating a piece of food that was on the bottom of the cage that might have some of this "stuff' on it. I feel like I'm in a catch-22 again because if I take out the eggs that she picked at then I am about 99% sure she will start this process all over again and I really don't want that to happen. But if I leave them in the bottom of the cage (this is day 11, so we have a LONG way to go before day #21-2, I stand the chance she could get sick. Any suggestions? Thanks so much Ellen

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Hi Ellen, I'll reply properly later but if one of Jaspa's eggs crack I throw it away else it will go rotten, even though she may lay another one to make up for it. Occasionally she hasn't bothered manufacturing another one , sometimes she has. Im trying to think back to when Jaspa first laid eggs and whether she sat on them properly - I'd still leave them in if they havent cracked. Also, if they crack the egg part inside will stick to her and will be hard to separate from her feathers - not very pleasant. One time one was stuck under jaspa and I had to pull it off and Im sure it hurt her. Maybe boiling them might be your answer? Or you can buy these 'pretend' eggs but she may know there not the real thing - I think I tried something with Jaspa but it didnt work - she was too smart! Karen

Tiels Gabi (RIP Aug 2011 - 3 yrs) and Jaspa (RIP Sept 2014 - 12 yrs); Tiel Olli (3 yrs)

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Yes I heard about that poor women after the chimp experience. What a long ordeal for her. I've heard of Deepak Chopra too - I think he's been on the radio a few times here and I've seen him on Oprah years ago. I wish I could live like you in not looking back or forward - I do both but probably more forward at the moment. We've been going through a tough time with my husband's ex partner among other things. I want to see light at the end of the tunnel! I was brought up a Christian but don't go to church any longer though still have the beliefs.
    We brought the pot that Gabi is burried in back home tonight - decided it was time to bring him home (he's been in mum's foyer since he died). He's resting by the ranchslider below the curtain rod he used to like perching on. We're also going to water blast his cage this weekend - dismantling his cage might be a bit harder than bringing his pot home.
    Speaking of shelters when I retire Im going to volunteer at a bird rescue place - decided thats my calling.
    Hope the advice helped somewhat about the eggs - I'd definitely remove the ones that are cracked and throw them away.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Karen, thank you so much for the info on the eggs! I will take your advice and remove those she has pecked at and/or cracked. If we have a few "replacements" so be it, I just don't want her to get sick with a bacterial infection. Those can be very challenging and rough for tiels!

Well, as I said, I am a Christian and I will always believe in God and for most of my lifetime I attended a church. I am a musician, and began my music ministry when I was only 3 years old, playing the piano by ear. My Dad and his family were ALL given the gift of music by God, and I just followed along in his footsteps. He played the guitar. I would sing with him as a child. The piano playing was my "saving grace" after he died unexpectedly in a farm tractor accident when I was only 9 years old. I was an only child, so my mom and I moved off of the farm my dad cash rented, and we lived in the small little town of 1000 people while I was growing up. A few years later my Mom re-married. I spent alot of time with my grandma (her mother) at that particular time. So my "music" kept me going at that time, and has done so for my entire life. I shared my piano and organ ministry with many church denominations, playing for weddings, funerals, contatas, choirs, etc. etc. I still have my piano and play it whenever I can, but in the last few years I have developed idiopathic scoliosis, and my lumbar spine has several pinched nerves, so I cannot sit for hours on end on a piano bench like I once used to do.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, today, Ollie is pretty much back to her young beautiful self! She has been out here in the livingroom since about 9:00 this morning, has been playing with her toys, and eating her favorite foods. Today was the first day I tried toast on both her and Maxi, and they LOVE it. Don't ask me why I didn't try that one along time ago. I always feed them whole wheat bread every day, but now I'll do the toast. I also am going to try scrambling just the egg whites of an egg for them because another poster wrote that her vet suggested it. So right now, Ollie is doing her 'flapping" ritual. She always does this, displaying her wings and waiting for my attention!! First time she has felt like it for a while now. She somehow looks older after this "experience". And she is getting lighter in color, and I'm thinking "cinnamon" for sure. I only wish I could have seen her parents. Did you ever think that about Jaspa and Gabi? She's sitting beak grinding and listening to classical music!

I was a single mom, so I never dealt with the in-law (outlaw) thing! Thank GOD I didn't have to. My son is 44 years old, and has been married for 24 years this coming Sunday. I have four beautiful granddaughters, ages 22, 20, 8 and 7. The two little ones came along 13 years after the first two, but were planned because my son and his wife LOVE children. My son also is a musician, and owns his own small business, "Music Together". He teaches young children ages 9 months thru 8 years of age all about music! He also has an MBA! I worked in a law office for 20 years, so I know how difficult divorces can be. It is unfortunate that after it is all over the two people can't just put it behind them and stop "stirring the pot" after the agreements have been made and the Court has closed the case.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-15-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm still looking at cameras, but will have one soon and will post pics! I was crying when I read your post about bringing Gabi back home! I have a strong love for ALL NATURE, so I can easily identify with your feelings. I used to have a tropical fish tank, and I would take the fish that died outside and bury them in the back yard. (lol) I think most people would have just either tossed them in the garbage or maybe put them down the toilet.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hi Ellen, Do you know if this is the first time your Ollie was ever egg laying? Piper was about 4 years old before she laid her very first egg. In her lifetime she only laid 4 eggs. In the spring, even when I covered her earlier in the evening (about 5ish when I came home from work), her hormones were enraged. There were times she attacked my feet when I took her out of cage to clean and remove the egg that she broke. After several attacks to my feet, one time it even bled, I did take her to my vet and the vet gave her lupron injections about every 2 weeks till her hormones calmed down. Lupron helps the production system to shut down temporarily. There were many spring times when Piper was so hormonal and mean, myself and John had a hard time living with her. I thought my tiel turned into a monster. Good thing we kept Woodstock and Piper in separate cages. Who knows what she would of done to him. So a solution we did try was in the spring when the daylight was lasting longer, we just put her in the another room. After that, we were successful at keeping her hormones under control. After the hormonal stage each spring, she came back to her ole lovable self again.

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Yep its the Lupron that Jaspa's on.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

The Lupron worked for my tiel.. But it's not cheap. When I did bring her in for her injections, I recall writing a check for over $100.00. Yikes!!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Carolyn and Karen, Well, you know I don't know if it was Ollie's first time laying eggs. I bought her on June 2nd from Petco PetShop and the only info that the clerk gave me was that she had been there for only a week, because the clerk was cleaning the cages that day, and since it was a Monday, the clerk told me she had been on vacation the week before and it was her first time to see the tiels for awhile. There were only two that day. The cage is quite a big "aviary, so to speak, so room was not the issue for the tiels. It was relatively clean in there, although as you know it never is what it should be in any pet shop so to speak. But in this area, there are very few breeders who advertise their birds, and on the web I never see any either. Since I did have tiels before, and judging from Ollie's behavior the first few weeks, I just assumed she was a baby tiel. Maybe I was wrong. But I will say that first egg she laid was rather labored, because she was just laying on the bottom of the cage with her feathers all fluffed up, and to me was having a pretty difficult time pushing that first egg out. One never knows what you are going to experience with any pet you bring home from a pet shop. That particular day my "heart" was leading me, and I just brought her right home with me and that was it! Recently I read on another forum where a young girl called her vet and asked if he knew of any breeders in the area. The vet said he didn't know of any breeders but did direct her to a small pet shop in the area. There were 4 tiels in a very small cage, some other animals in various cages, etc., etc., so the girl picked out one of the cockatiels and the pet shop owner said he would clip the wings (the girl had not asked him to do so). So when she got home she found blood in the box and one wing was really chopped up pretty badly, so the girl was on-line trying to find out what to do. She was advised to take the bird to her vet immediately, and to also call the pet shop owner and ask him specifically wht he had done to the bird. His reply was that he "only clipped ONE wing", because that is the only way a tiel can learn how to fly inside. Now you two and I both know what would have happened to that little tiel if she would have let him out to fly. Most likely he would have injured himself and might have even lost his life. The last post I read from that young girl was that she was taking the bird to her vet for a check-up. That the bird was terribly traumatized and scared for a day or so, but was beginning to come out of her shell and was eating and drinking a little water.

So, there you go!! One never knows what experiences you are going to have with tiels that you bring into your home. I am very lucky, and thankful to God that all has worked out well with Ollie! She is doing fine, no egg yet today. I had to throw one away. She doesn't set much at all. She isn't showing much interest in the eggs at all.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-17-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hi Ellen,
    If Ollie isn't showing to much interest in her egg, she maybe getting out of her egg laying stage soon. Is she moving around in her cage more is she more focused towards the bottom where she laid her egg? Ollie is very lucky that you found her at Petco. Woodstock did come from a pet shop. My brother originally bought about a year later after his lutino died from egg binding. My brother became a victim to the Michigan economy and lost his home. I told him I would take Woodstock because I hated to see him go back to a pet shop. It took Woodstock about a week to adjust. But it only took a few days for him to make my heart melt. I have read many horror stories about purchasing fids from pet shops. Your are very blessed that you and Ollie adopted each other. Sounds like your Petco has their act together better than the one near me. I actually seen a dead keet in one of cages. Management was aware of it but did not remove right away.. Since then, I shop elsewhere.

By the way, I was talking to my other half John on are ride to Northern Michigan this evening. I mentioned to him that we are definitely getting another fid in the spring.. He asked me if I already had a name picked out.. He knows me that well. Of course, I was thinking of naming my next tiel Tango.

Have a great night!!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Carolyn, I LOVE the name Tango. In fact, when I had all of my keets a few years ago, and Buttercup and Nicki (who I thought was a female), bonded and she laid four eggs, I chose these names: Mango, Tango, Limon and Lemon. Limon and Lemon were yellow, and Mango and Tango were green. Buttercup was a pied green, and Nicki was a yellow. At that time I had 9 keets and 4 tiels!! As I look back upon it, I'd do it all over again! I had the greatest time with all of them! Now, fast forward to Ollie! Yes, I truly was blessed to bring Ollie into my life! I had no plans to bring home a fid the day I went to Petco. I was picking up bird seed for my Parakeets. But as I'm sure you have read in my posts here, around the corner I came into the Aviary department, and there she sat in that pretty good size aviary with another one that looked quite alot like her. I don't know about you, but somehow, I have a keen intuition about looking at and sizing up tiels and keets, and my heart will tell me which one to pick. Ollie immediately got my attention, and I had just been researching at that time, trying to find any info as to how to sex tiels. I really wanted a female, and the only info I had found at the time was that females will have a yellow feather growing on each side of their tail, and the tail will have bars. Well all of that stood out with Ollie. So home she came with me. Almost immediately I found this forum because I was seeking more info about tiels behavior and care, because I feel you can find lots of good info on a site like this, and also share your opinions and your memories of your fids. I think this is THE BEST COMMUNITY of all that I have visited on-line! I have always had very good luck with purchasing parakeets at this Petco. I've had several from that store. We also have a Pet Smart in that same City, and they too have quality birds. Petco birds are banded. Pet Smart birds are not. My little keet, Maxi, will be 5 years old in April and he came from Petco. But as you say, the "nightmares" of Pet Shops, and may I add, sometimes "breeders" like the one I spoke about clipping one wing of the tiel before he sold it, would make any person be ambivilent about purchasing ANY pet in those kind of places.

So, today, Ollie is having a great time in her cage. She has spent the whole morning out here in the living room with Maxi and I. And she is eating, playing with her toys, drinking her water, and is also taking a bath. I put one of her watering cupts in the bottom of the cage so she can play in the water. As you know, tiels love water. No egg last night or today, so I think (5) will be it this round. She doesn't nest at all on them. Goes over to the corner and checks them out once in awhile. How long do you think I will need to leave them in the cage.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yikes is right!! I'll have to pray hard that Ollie won't turn out to be a chronic egg layer! That money isn't in my budget for sure!

Remove Ads