Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hello All

Name
    Sean
    Thanks

Wink Hello All

Hello all, my name is Sean and I live in Ft. Lauderdale Florida, I have a CAG(Congo African Grey), I have had her almost a year now. I am not quite sure of her age as I don't know her hatch date. But I do know she is 17 or 18. She was the nasty parrot in the store that no one could handle and bit everyone........except me, she was there for about a year. After she got home she proved she was comfortable and felt safe and happy by laying a clutch of 5 eggs, she has laid 2 more clutches since then. So since I don't know her hatch date her birthday is now October 1 as that is the day she came home.

I look forward to meeting and making many friends here.http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ons/icon12.png

Brand New Egg
    Name
    carol
    Thanks

Re: Hello All

Welcome to the Big Flock, Sean!

Can you even imagine how many birds are represented here by all of us?!

Anyway. You definately have a way with birds. That is quite a rare talent.
    You proved it by winning your Grey over! What is here name?
    I can picture you calling her "Sugar" or "Sweet" or "Honey" since
    that is her behavior with you!

Birds are very very picky! They carefully choose who they like.
    I got a bird a bit the same way. He was not nice until we got together.
    Now he loves to sit on my shoulder when I cook or bake!.

I am glad you are here. Please send any pics you have of your girl.
    I would love to see her.

I really enjoy my Senegal, BeBe.

Have fun with her.

cjh Carol

Name
    Sean
    Thanks

Thank you for the welcome Carol, I tried to post a reply yesterday with a pic but somehow I got logged out when I posted. Her name is Koosie pronounced Kwoo-a-sie, named after a Grey we had when I was a kid. I am originally from South Africa and we also had a sulfur crested cockatoo, a pair of tiels and literally hundreds of budgies, finches, and ringneck doves in a huge outdoor aviary.

I also keep saltwater reef aquariums, and was at one of the stores I get aquarium supplies from that usually keeps a pair of too's and a macaw of some type, along with other small birds. I always wanted another too but I live in an apartment and that is not such a good match.

One day I stopped to pick up supplies, got finished playing with the too's turned around and there was this Grey with a big sign BIRD BITES. She had bitten everyone that works at the store, I knew I couldn't approach her like the other birds, and a couple of visits later all the employees were watching stunned as she was getting scratches from me. She can be tempremental like all greys and no one else can handle her and she does have her moments, but she is great with me most of the time. I will try to post a pic in another post.

Name
    Sean
    Thanks

Thanks

Hellooo there! Sunny Florida! Isn't it too hot for those fish? lol

Love Florida! Hope you get Koosie outside the apartment a bit. Grey need fresh air you know and a balcony won't do!

WELCOME TO YOU MY FRIEND!
    Don't mess with me or my birds!

Name
    Sean
    Thanks

Hello parrothouse, that is the corner of 1 of 3 tanks and since I keep my apartment at a balmy 72f with a chiller on the main tank the water is just right. Unfortunately I don't have a balcony but I do have 2 large air purifiers that help with the dander and an avian bulb 2 feet over her cage that is on an 8 hour photoperiod every day, with all those years doing reef aquariums, I've learned a little about the importance of proper light. She has had 3 clutches of 5 eggs each since she has been home, so I really haven't hand a chance to work with her on a harness, but I hope to get her there, I have also had a blood panel done and with proper diet and a little liquid calcium supplement she is just fine

Thanks

3 clutches in 10 months is a lot! When you want to discourage laying, bright light (like the UV light you are using) is not recommended as bright light encourages breeding/nesting. Best to use natural light then and decrease daylight time (early bedtime). When signs of nesting is absent, you can use the light but again 8 hours is too long. Especially if you know that 8/9 hours will stimulate your bird into its breeding cycle. Poor Koosie

I know it can be overwhelming with your first parrot, but you will learn a lot on this forum to be the best parront!!
    Don't mess with me or my birds!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi! Sean and welcome to Tail Feathers Community!! Koosie sure is a beautiful Grey!! Sounds to me like she has succeeded in becoming the "center" of your attention!! We will welcome your posts and pics anytime!

Name
    Sean
    Thanks

Hi Ellen thanks for the welcome, she really is a beautiful bird even if she does get a bit nippy occasionally, but I know when she will get nippy, its usually on one certain coil on her boing . Since it has been a few months since the last eggs more of her personality is coming out, and she is now clicking, dancing and waving a claw at me at the same time.

@ parrothouse, Koosie is not my first parrot and I have 20+ years experience with birds even though most of it was as child, and I was not the primary care giver, I was very much involved in their care and handling. This is why I had the confidence to take on a “troublesome 17 year old grey”. I realized going in she may never be the friendly cuddly bird she has turned into even with an occasional nip. Yes 3, 5 egg clutches is a lot, but many breeders do 3 clutches a year, the last eggs were laid in mid June and the last egg was removed July 15. The first clutch came before I had the avian bulb, 2 of the shells were soft(yes I have unrestricted access to the eggs) so I realized right away she was calcium deficient and that is why I got the bulb, added liquid calcium, got her on more of a pellet diet, and if you have read Shanlungs posts I also added mash based on Shanlung’s Tinkerbell mash. Since the first clutch came before the avian bulb, greys are year round breeders and come from Equatorial Africa, where they get roughly 12 hours of daylight year round, how will shortening the photoperiod change anything other than reducing her bodies ability to absorb and convert the vitamins and other goodness in her food into the compounds and calcium her body needs for her health. I might add her cage has an aquarium on either side of her so she always has the sound of running water which sounds like a babbling brook or stream around her. This drowns out a lot of the outside noise and gives her a more natural sound. Having her cage located there creates a “secure feeling” area for her to live in. I think this safe and secure area and being in place where she is loved and well cared for has as much to do with the egg laying as anything else. She was in the pet store for roughly a year, I would stop by at least weekly to visit her before I was able to buy her and she showed no inclination to lay eggs although she did start doing the mating dance for me about a month before I brought her home. I have also found in my research that it is not uncommon for a single hen to lay eggs between ages 15-35 and be completely healthy happy birds.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi Sean, Thank you for your nice post. I LOVE the pics you posted, and also your wonderful knowledge of all birds that you have accumulated over the years. I can't tell by the pics how big those eggs really are. Are they bigger than a cockatiel egg! It is interesting you are also in to "egg laying" at your home. I purchased a beautiful little female tiel that I named Olivia (I call her Ollie) on June 2nd from a Pet Shop. I have homed tiels before, so I was somewhat familiar with their behavior. And I really didn't know for sure that Ollie was a female either! She just seemed to display that sort of behavior when I first got her. The four I had never laid eggs although I didn't have them all that long to know if they were male or female because I had to downsize my large flock do to an unexpected medical issue and only brought one tiel with me. I found a wonderful lady whith an Aviary who took my 3 tiels, and after about 6 months I also gave her the tiel I had brought with me because he was really lonesome for his other "buddies" and I felt that was the best life for him. I knew I could always get another one. So, to make a long story shorter, my little Ollie, who I thought was a baby tiel (and could be, because I have read they can lay eggs as early as 6 months of age), is now into her first "egg" laying process, and I have no other tiels in my home. I do have a keet, but he is in a separate cage. My Ollie bonded with me exactly like your Koosie did with you. She just "loved" me from day one, just as I "loved" her that day in the Pet Shop. I think that "love" has something to do with the egg laying behavior also. With tiels, you really don't want them to lay any more than 2 clutches a year, so I am crossing my fingers and hoping she won't lay again until Spring. I was lucky I knew all about tiel diets, gave her fresh veggies, etc. from the day i brought her home, and I also gave her fresh kale and parsley each day. Both are an excellent source of Calcium. You might consider trying them on Koozie. I think that is what helped Ollie to lay such great looking hard eggs. I was shocked the day I found her in her cage laying on the floor. I was so afraid, but soon realized she was trying to push that first egg out. She has laid 5 all together. I am hopeful that is all for this clutch. In a day or so, I will know for sure.
    You do have a beautiful Grey!! I think it takes a person with a unique personality to home greys and parrots, because as I see it, each parrot from the keet to the "parrot" all are "evolved" a little higher in their ability to understand and display their intelligence. Again, thanks for sharing your story about yourself and Koosie! My Ollie LOVES music!! Try some classical music or Latin music with Koosie! I'll bet that will get her dancing! (lol) And the set-up you have with the acquariums, etc. sounds like it is "exotic" and beautiful!

Name
    Sean
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    I can't tell by the pics how big those eggs really are. Are they bigger than a cockatiel egg! It is interesting you are also in to "egg laying" at your home.
    The eggs are about 1 1/2 inches long, I never measured the diameter but I would say about 3/4-7/8 on an inch.

Here is a pic of part of the main tank, this is the side you see near the cage in my avatar pic

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Wow! I'd love to have one of those in my home. The biggest aquarium I ever had was a 20 gallon. I had the most beautiful angel fish that got to be about 3 inches or so high and a couple inches across. Angels are not easy to take care of, but I had an excellent filtering system. And of course I treated the water and kept the diseases out. I think that is the secret for a successful aquarium "adventure"!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hi Sean and welcome to the Tailfeathers Community. I must say, you have a beautiful African Grey and a gorgeous aquarium. This is a great network of people who love to share experiences they have with their birds and also offer advice if they have any to share. From my own personal experience, the folks on this network are awesome. We enjoy sharing our tales of what our fids are doing, what they are learning, new arrivals and pictures.