Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Indra
    Thanks

Infertile eggs- what to do?

Hello, I have a question to those of you out there with some breeding experience. I have pair of lovebirds that laid a clutch, but unlike my other 2 pairs, I never saw them mate. I saw the male court the female and feed her etc, she accepted but never saw her mate with him. Thenshe laid 5 eggs. I waited the appropriate time, candled them and they are all infertile I had a feeling they might be and it was confirmed last night when the youngest of the eggs had been incubated 12 days and none show any activity in the egg. So, what should I do now? Should I remove them? Will she just lay more infertile eggs? I would like her to mate since this is a pair of birds I have kept for a while and would like to have young with their mutations and their size, they are big beautiful birds. They are super healthy birds but this is their first clutch. They are both over a year nearing 2. What should I do? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Indra
    Thanks

Re: Infertile eggs- what to do?

Ps. I wanted to add, that I have never quite ran into this situation before. Throughout my years my females might have one infertile one in the clutch since I always wait until they are old enough and only in birds that are healthy and who's genes I think are worth passing on. I think since this is her first clutch and she is housed outside that she may have "jumped the gun" due to the length and temp of day. I just don't want to deplete her calcium if it is not necessary. I would not want her laying infertile eggs again without mating. Should I just remove the box altogether and try again next season? Hmmmm, I see a lot of people reading but nobody posting

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kate
    Thanks

I had two Fischers do this recently. After 30 days I took the eggs away and let nature take its course. The next clutch she laid 5 eggs and they hatched.

Name
    luis
    Thanks

sometimes dad dos not do what is supposed to do and that is the result take then away let nature take its cource

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

If you are 100% certain none are fertile and she has finished laying, then you can remove them and let them try again Make sure there's plenty of firm, solid perches for them to mate on, some males are useless and can't balance enough to....well, you know.