Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Body language Question

Name
    Amy
    Thanks

Body language Question

I have read in some places and here, if a female cockatiel wags her tail it is from petting her on her back, but Sammie will not even let me touch her back. So why does she still wag her tail every once in awhile?

Name
    Matt
    Thanks

Re: Body language Question

I think petting her back will just get her worked up. Although im sure other things do the trick too. Im not sure how old she is but if shes sexually mature anthing could set it off really. IF it is in fact related to that. Could just be a sign of showing off for you or that shes just plain ol' happy.

Name
    Amy
    Thanks

well she is only about 13 months old, I am not too sure what age they are considered sexually mature.

And she hasn't showed any other type mating rituals, so you are probably right it may just be her showing off or doing it because she's happy

Thanks for the info!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

"Wagging" can be a few reasons. After preening my male will shake out his tail to clear it out. A female can get turned on if you pet them below the neck anywhere on their body and they may start displaying to you (getting into "the position" and chirping) if they think you are their mate. A year old is about when tiels start getting sexually mature, though it isn't recommended for them to breed or lay until after I believe 18 months. It kind of depends on what else she is doing.

Name
    Amy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    "Wagging" can be a few reasons. After preening my male will shake out his tail to clear it out. A female can get turned on if you pet them below the neck anywhere on their body and they may start displaying to you (getting into "the position" and chirping) if they think you are their mate. A year old is about when tiels start getting sexually mature, though it isn't recommended for them to breed or lay until after I believe 18 months. It kind of depends on what else she is doing.
    Yeah I knew the 18 month thing, but never looked into it past that point, because I don't attend on breeding her.
    Well she will do it after preening, or when she gets settled into one place, since I have been watching her more closely to she what is triggering it
    and she hasn't really done any of the displaying either

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

You mean she is doing this?

You do not have to do any more than give her a happy home and good food, mixed in with love.
    I consider I am now an Eggspert on what not to do.
    At least if she is single you may only get the odd egg. And if real lucky no eggs.
    As long as she is only doing the mating posture and no eggs all is well.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

If Sammie is "displaying" similar to the video that is posted here, then I would say she is displaying hormonal behavior. I purchased a female tiel on the 2nd of June of this year at a Pet Shop. I have homed tiels before, and had estimated her to be a young baby tiel. However, on September 2nd, I got the shock of my life to find her in her cage on the cage bottom laying an egg. I was very lucky that she didn't get egg bound because I could have lost her. And I have no other tiels in my home, so a male tiel doesn't have to be present for a hen to lay eggs. The first clutch she laid 5 eggs. On October 2nd, she began laying again and in that clutch she laid 3 eggs. Yesterday, she began laying again, and has laid one egg so far. Egg laying depletes the body of calcium and other nutrients. It is very stressful for a female tiel. And some hens are considered chronic egg layers if they continue to lay all of the time. Right now I do have concern for my little Ollie, because this is her 3rd clutch in 3 months, and she could turn out to be a chronic egg layer. If so, I will need to take her to the vet to see if she can be put on medications (lupron) to keep her from laying all of the time.

I write all of this info to you with the hope that it will help others to understand that a "single hen" can begin laying (without a male around), and must be carefully watched so that she won't get egg bound, be a chronic egg layer, or die from not having enough calcium and other good nutrition to make the egg shells hard so she can lay the eggs properly. I feed a mix of seed and pellets, fresh veggies, including lettuce, carrots, broccoli, whole wheat bread, plenty of cuttle bones in the cage and a mineral block.

I also refrain from touching her anywhere but on her head for scritches and I limit the scritches also. I don't put bells or mirrors in the cage and Ollie has at least 14 hours of sleep a night. And I change out her toys to discourage her from stimulating herself with them. And, she is still laying eggs. Most single hens do not have this problem and I truly hope you won't either.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

First and foremost, you have a beautiful fid. From what I have observed in your video Sammie is displaying hormonal behavior. I call it the "squeeky clothes line" chorus. Piper started that behavior when she was about two years old. Everything that Ellen mentioned in her post, I couldn't of said it better. I thought I would add you should consider the amount of daylight she has. The longer the daylight hours, there hormone levels will rise. The less daylight hours Sammie has, it should lower her hormone levels. While Piper was hormonal, she was only uncovered about 11 hours a day and the balance, she was covered. It did work for me.
    Last edited by Pipers Mom; 11-06-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typo

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Lupron may not work!
    Tinkerbell has laid three eggs while on a three shot course of Lupron. and has laid four eggs since then. She did stop laying for a few weeks. The four eggs have been laid without a nest box.
    I do have a slightly different situation to a lot of Tiel owners. I have read all the advice I could find.

The only thing that seems may work, is flooding with dummy eggs. It does mean putting a nest box up for them.
    Cindy is sitting on 7 plastic eggs and this seems to have stopped her laying.
    What I did was every time she laid an egg I took it away, first one I just put the one in, and after that I put two dummy ones in for ever egg I took out.

Last season my two hens laid over 32 eggs, in that time Roxy was put on Lupron to stop her laying, which worked for about 8 / 10weeks. She passed away on the operating table. She had a prolapse.
    I took in Cindy to keep Max happy and she started laying not long after the shortest day this season.
    I let her hatch two of those eggs, the rest were taken away and replaced with dummy ones. The babies were only three weeks old when she started to lay again. I took the nest box down as soon as the babies were old enough to stay out of it.
    Mean while Tinkerbell had laid in her nest. Then one morning I found her on the floor face down wings spread eyes closed. Off to the vet in a hurry, we saved her and she laid an egg while in the incubator at the vets. So she went on injections. She did abandon the eggs, but it was not long before she was well enough to lay again. These were the three eggs I mention above, and I have two babies from them.
    This season I am not counting eggs, I just worry I do not have enough dummy's.
    Last edited by clawnz; 11-12-2011 at 10:40 PM.
    R.I.P my little ones.