Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

Made a decision that broke my heart..

It may have broken my heart, but it really is for the best. Many of you know Sassy, my male cockatiel, well recently i have had to re-home him. His violent attitude towards me had grown worse than before. Several people had said that he had reolized I now have a weakness due to the stroke and that sassy knew he could get the better of me.
    I called my friend Ian to come and collect Sassy, Ian came willingly as he always does. I have updates on Sassy on a regular basis. Sassy seems to be so much happier now he is with Ian. Sassy is playing and doing a lot of things that he has never done here at home with me.
    Although I loved my little boy, maybe after all this time he was telling me that he is not happy...I just don't know. I do know however that I can go and visit Sassy when I want to....
    I kept the 2 babies that Sassy had recently,

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Alicia
    Thanks

Re: Made a decision that broke my heart..

I'm so sorry to hearing about you having to rehome your sassy but its perfectly understandable that you have to do whats both for both you and him. Its great that he seems much more content with your friend and your also able to focus on your help more too.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Debby, I know your heart was broken when you had to re-home Sassy. And I also know how hard it is to part with the tiels we truly love. But I must say, I admire you so much for having the courage and the common sense to realize that Sassy just wasn't adapting to your home now. Please don't blame yourself, because I'm sure you did everything you could to make Sassy's life a happy experience. It is wonderful you had a friend who would take Sassy, and that he is doing so well living there. And also, you can keep in touch with Sassy through your friend. I am happy you have the two babies, to take care of and play with each day. I'm sending you a "big hug", and wishing you much happiness and success with the baby tiels!

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Oh Deb, honey, I'm so sorry that you came to that decision and I know it couldn't have been easy for you. But you've gone through quite a radical life style change which I'm sure has affected you and your family. You know Ian will take care of Sassy and you'll always be able to keep track of his antics through Ian. I'm glad that you have Sassy's babies, just remember to tell them about their dad. Take care of yourself.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

It was Sassy who made the decision for you Debby and if like you said he is happy living with Ian then it was for the best that you let him go. I cant even imagine how hard it must of been for you but it least Sassy accepted living with Ian and you can get to see him when you want to. Did you give up Sassy's mate, Baby or did you keep her and the babies?

I hope your doing OK these days and know you are in my thoughts often, hugs to you!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I'm very sorry to hear that you had to give up Sassy for aggressive behavior. But in time, you will know deep in your heart that you made the right decision. At least you have a great friend Ian to take Sassy. I'm very happy that you have Sassy's babies. Sending you hugs for a very difficult time.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

It is not common for a bird to be acting that way toward you. I have had only 1 of the many birds I have ever had act like that. It is not your fault.

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

As others have said, even though you had to part with Sassy at least it was to someone you know and trust. Being able to visit him is a huge plus too! I always wonder what happens to our babies once we find them homes. It sounds like it's working for the better, so best of luck to you Debby. I hope those babies don't get into too much trouble, hehe!

Hatching
    Name
    Rhonda
    Thanks

hi, Debbie. sometimes we have to love them enough to let them go. at least you know that Sassy went to another good home and will be well taken care of

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for your understanding in the re homing of my sassy. Ian contacts me every other day to let me know how Sassy and Baby are doing. Sassy has settled extremely well, he now has a new best friend....an African Grey..lol
    Ian says that Sassy makes a phone ringing noise and the grey answers with a "Hello Hello". Sassy and Baby are still very close with each other, but Sassy has no interest in Mating or egg laying. Ian's girlfriend will be working with Sassy in the next few days by Clicker Training, she has chosen to do this with him as Sassy has taken to her really well.
    We now beleive that Sassy was unhappy here because there are too many memories of his first mate (skip). Maybe this is possible.
    As for the 2 new babies..they are into absolutely everything, althought they are taming to me really well. One of the babies just will not leave my side, this is the one that I had to hand feed as Baby attacked it. The second baby is not as tame, it just wants to be included in the cuddles etc. Both are eating well, they love their vegetables and egg etc. I am going to start them on Harrisons in the next few days....I may stand a better chance being as they are still young.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy to hear that both Sassy and Baby are doing so good at Ians. Leave it to Sassy to become friends with a African Grey and the ringing and hello thing they do sounds like something Ian needs to take a video of and let us see it. I bet its adorable to see them do this.

You could be right about Sassy having memories of Skip, it could be confusing him or he may think the same thing will happen to Baby since it happened to his Skip. I am just happy he is OK and that your OK with him being rehomed.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Hatching
    Name
    Rhonda
    Thanks

thanks for the update. happy to hear that Sassy is doing really well.

Deanna, Thank You! can't tell you how much you helped us. nothing definate yet, still have a couple of weeks to try to work it all out.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm so happy to hear everything is working out for the best for you! Enjoy those beautiful new babies!