where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Hybrid View

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jenna
    Thanks

Novel love bird owner help please!

Hello! My name is Jenna and I am a brand new love bird owner. I've had birds before: parakeets, cockateils, finches. About 2 days ago I purchased a 15 week old, hand fed, and now weened, peach faced love bird.

I will say right now that I hate getting bitten, but I know that comes with the territory, unfortunately. The store told me to start handling her right away, however I have been too nervous to get started. I eventually want my love to bond with me and sit on my shoulder...a buddy. Any suggestions on how to do this? I've read a lot of stuff online, but I am still nervous. I don't want to hurt her in any way.

She seems to warming up to me but is still very hesitant aBout my presence. This morning while I was holding a millet spray in her cage she would eat off it but stay about 1 inch or more away from my hand.

Help please!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jenna
    Thanks

Re: Novel love bird owner help please!

Also, I'm trying to learn her body language. She finds her beak every now and then, and sometimes screeches but ot in a consistent manner so I don't know what she is trying to say. She also always has her feathers on the top of her head up a bit, but sometimes her body isn't puffed up and sometime it is.

Thanks

The store told me to start handling her right away
    That sounds like the old school of "dominate and make them submit to you". If you have patience, I would ease off on the hand handling and let your bird get comfortable first. I never forced Ham and she still doesnt love my hand but she jumps on me all the time and sleeps under my shirt for hours now.

Enjoy having clean shirts for a while longer!
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Bribery!
    In my experience lovebirds are much bigger pigs than any other species. What Sammy will do for millet or milk thistle seeds are quite embaressing for the avian world lol

Just take it slow and easy. Eat by the bird, talk to her, and keep your movements slow and easy. let her learn that you are flock now, and that you are safe. and a good source for treats. You'll soon have a lifelong little friend x
    You don't need help. You're already doing everything right x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Daisy and Clover's Momma Hatching msminnamouse's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

I totally agree with everything that's been said. What the pet store told you to do is called "flooding" and it's rarely successful and only if used appropriately. There's no need to use flooding in this case, however. It's much better to have your bird COME to you because they WANT to. THAT will build trust and form bonds and start out your relationship on the right path.

Millet is a very good bribing tool and also, I know I'm just repeating what's been said already, but make sure to do things together with your bird. Eat with it, sleep with it (or pretend but I don't mean literally because you can crush it), sit with it, watch tv with it, talk quietly with it, play with it's toys and try to engage it, shower with it, etc. The bird will assosiate with you as it's flock.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jenna
    Thanks

thank you for the advice! the only thing is she wont let me get her out of her cage, so if i watch tv, for example, i just put the cage next to me. I dont know if that's right. she's still pretty shaky about me.

Daisy and Clover's Momma Hatching msminnamouse's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Just clip the door open and allow her to come out on her own. Having her make the decision to come out on her own means much more than forcing her out on your terms.

I do realize that you may have to force her out to clean the cage, etc. but I don't think that forcing her out should be done for play time and socialization.