Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

New cockatiel and millet?

I just got my cockatiel last night. Of course he is very nervous and scared, he nips anytime I put my hand in the cage to change his water and just say hi. He has come a long way since last night, climbing on his cage today, playing with toys, being more talkative and even flying out of the cage when I left the door open(I like to leave the door open so he knows he can come out, if he wants to). But he hasn't been eating at all, at least, not that I've seen. He picked at his pellet/seed mix I prepared but hasn't been actually eating. I got some spray millet today as a treat and he took to it immediately. I know it's more of a treat than a dietary supplement but is it okay to leave the millet stick in the cage for him to eat so he won't go hungry? I'm worried he isn't eating but he will eat the millet. Is this a good idea??

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: New cockatiel and millet?

It's fine for right now. New birds often won't eat in front of their owners because it makes them vulnerable to get down into the bowl and eat - they usually eat once you're out of sight. Spray millet is safer to eat since he can still kind of keep an eye out. Don't give him too much though.

Thanks

No of course not, I won't give him too much. I know it's a treat. His name is Marston
    I am so nervous of everything, lol, I feel like I just had a baby and I'm a new parent. No amount of reading up and studying can compare to having one and feeling like you have to do everything right and protect them. Thanks for the reassurance!!

Thanks

One more thing! What is the best way to keep millet, etc? I've heard that keeping seed and pellet, treats, etc in the fridge can hold in freshness but what would be the best way to retain freshness and safeness, e.i clips or dishes, etc?

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

They sell millet holder for cages, get a plastic one not metal as metal often contains zinc in the cheap holders. For storage out of cage I use tupperware bowls sealed for seed/pellets. Don't buy in bulk as pellets after 2 months or so start to lose nutritional value (the vitamins degrade). For regular food I use a ceramic crock in his cage and a little plate for veggies.