where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Eeek my ears!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jenna
    Thanks

Eeek my ears!!!

How do I get my love to lower her chirp? She hits this high pitched screech and I don't know if my family can take it loll

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

Re: Eeek my ears!!!

You can't. Simples!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Lovies are known for their slightly high pitched chirp, that is why some people don't get them. Birds make noise, it's just part of them. If she's not screaming, not much you can do.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

You can't get them to stop and never ever make it- it's their nature
    but you can get them to do it less.

Sammy (and sparks before him) both understand "nice noises" Learn what causes the screaming. With Sammy the worst noises are either he's worried about something in which case we find out what and get rid of it (usually a bug lol) or when he's over excited and playing- which is fine, because we want him to play and be happy.

but he did used to scream a lot when on our shoulders. We kind of use the samew training techniques as with the dog, in that we make a loud noise to interrupt him, or distract with a toy. When he's paying attention and being good and making "nice noises" he gets praise and a treat. If he can't stop, then he's not allowed to sit on our shoulders until he chills down a bit.

Now it's often enough to just hold up a finger, go Uhuh and remind him that he should do "nice noises"
    I also find that if we whisper to him, he tends to whisper and mutter back- it's adorable lol

He used to flock call a lot too. When we left him alone, he'd get worried and scream quite a lot. We would just call back to him, or pop our head round the door and reassure him that we were still there. I think as they get older, and feel safer and more secure in their new home that the flock calling and worry screaming at least will reduce.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Helen is right on with what she says about keeping them quieter. No lovie will ever be a quiet bird but you can teach them to lower the noise level down, sometimes because we all know lovies are noisy happy birds. We taught boomer "inside cheeps" and when we told him "quiet cheeps" or even just said "cheep cheep", he sat there cute as can be and quietly in his lovie chirp would go cheep cheep, and keep on doing it nice and quiet because he knew he was a good bird and waited for us to praise him for his inside cheeping. They truly are smarter then we give them credit for and to boomer saying good bird or good boomer was all he needed to do anything.

Now Mango who is a Amazon, nothing makes him stop yelling and his noise level is through the roof.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I don't think you can train a bird to do what is not their nature to do. Different species of birds can get loud. If you want a quiet bird, get a species that tends to be quiet.

Thanks

I've always wondered, are lovies noisier if the household is noisier? I'm very quiet and Ham only makes happy chirps or the single loud alarm chirp. She never screams and screams.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Boomer was quiet when people were around because he was too busy playing with the people. If I was the only person home boomer was like Ham, quiet and content but once John and Carissa got home he was louder because as we always thought he wanted to be out with all of us and not in his cage. If he was out of his cage he was a nice quiet little bird that rarely cheeped. I think being in a cage while things are happening all around them makes them want to scream so that is what they do.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Agreed, i dont think you can do much about it.
    I had one pair that were quiet as mice, never did more than quiet cheeps. were a joy to own.
    However i have one pair that do not shut up...they are the noisiest birds ive ever owned and frankly
    drive me mad. Nothing i have tried will quiet them, its given me a headache on more than one
    occasion. I had owned many types of birds before the lovebirds and i can honestly say, sadly they
    are the messiest, noisiest, and destructive birds i have ever known.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jenna
    Thanks

Thanks guys! What does it, or do you think it, means when she's in her cage chirping at different levels and flapping her wings. I'm not in her cage, I'm about 3 feet away just talking and whistling to her. Bird language is tough. Lol