where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Feather plucking

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chris
    Thanks

Feather plucking

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with a feather plucking cockatiel? We just adopted two birds a week ago. She only has feathers on her head, tail, and some on wings. I don't think she had a stable home before. The first few days we had her she paced and hissed at us. Just in the short time we have had her, she is the sweetest bird ever. She loves to be held, kissed, talked and sung to. We make sure her cage is cleaned everyday, give her lots of love and attention, and a very strict bedtime, so they get 13 hours of sleep every night. I'm still looking for what kind of diet I should put her on. These are our first Cockatiels. they are awesome birds and we love them so much and have really bonded with them. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. its not health related, previos owners had that checked.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Feather plucking

If it isn't health related, it would be behavioral. Which means boredom, stress or improper diet. Some birds can be allergic to certain foods, which can cause skin problems which can cause plucking and there isn't really a way to test for it other than process of elimination. Boredom or lack of space in their home could have caused it. Once they get into a habit, it's HARD to break them of it. For now, distract her away when she tries to pluck with toys etc. I would take her to your vet to discuss the situation, with extreme cases they can provide a collar for birds so they can't pluck and they can discuss her diet to see if maybe something there could help. Also, take a look through the forums in the lovie section, pixibubbles and msminnamouse's threads specifically - they have traded a lot of info on plucking there which can be applied for any bird.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chris
    Thanks

Thank you so much for replying back and giving us some things to try. I really feel like we have given her a better home and hope she can break the habit. She has a whole bunch of new feathers growing on her back, I'm hoping she leaves those alone. I can't believe what sweet little girl she is especially the way she hissed at us at first. My 9 year daughter works with them and is doing a really good job. I will post a picture of Baby Girl giving my daughter a kiss, it is the sweetest thing. Thanks again.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    emily
    Thanks

Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your too. Have you looked at featherplucking.org? I think it's a new site but I know they offer some top tips. Worth checking out to see if there is anything they could recommend. I would say that is probably diet related. It's amazing what birds need and so many diets lack basic things like vitamins and minerals.
    I hope it all works out.
    Em x

Remove Ads