Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Purchased Two Budgies Afraid they Wont Bond With Me Now

As the topic states my wife and I recently purchased two budgies at 4 months old. This is my first time to have any sort of bird as a pet, while my wife has experience with budgies as pets. My concern is learning after the fact most articles and books recommend if you want tame budgies to only have one at a time. If you start with two most resources state they will not bond with humans and instead bond with each other.

We purchased the budgies from a local bird store that has a good reputation. All of their birds are supplied by local breeders. The individual in the store who seemed knowledgeable suggested taming two budgies at once is not problematic IF you take them out one at a time and spend time with them that way.

I would like some feedback and suggestions on what to do. Should I return one of the budgies or purchase an additional cage to separate them in the mean time? Will I be able to tame two at a time?

Thank you for your time and input

Name
    Kimberly
    Thanks

Re: Purchased Two Budgies Afraid they Wont Bond With Me Now

I don't think it will be a problem trying to tame both at once. It may help to keep them in separate cages until you get them both used to you. Also, do you know that they are the same sex? And how old they are? Depending on their age/sex you may want to keep them separate anyway.

I do think that both you and your wife need to spend time with them separately each day. This will help them be socialized better. And give them out of the cage time together each day. Taming takes a long time so don't get discouraged. It may take many months to get them to where they like you and want to be around you.
    In loving memory of Mattie the...

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

My experience with a pair of two budgies, is they were close to each other. But I could never get close to them. If it is all right with you just to watch the pair without nwanting to tame them, that will work. True, just a single budgies is easiest to become close to, but a bird does need a companion of its own species for friendship.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kab6193 View Post
    I don't think it will be a problem trying to tame both at once. It may help to keep them in separate cages until you get them both used to you. Also, do you know that they are the same sex? And how old they are? Depending on their age/sex you may want to keep them separate anyway.

I do think that both you and your wife need to spend time with them separately each day. This will help them be socialized better. And give them out of the cage time together each day. Taming takes a long time so don't get discouraged. It may take many months to get them to where they like you and want to be around you.
    Both are 4 months old and male. Also if they are not bonded to you how do you take them out of the cage, even with clipped wings I am fairly certain they would try to fly away from me as soon as its out of the cage.
    Last edited by bluehabit; 11-07-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Name
    Gail
    Thanks

Hi,

My friend and I both bought a budgie each at the same pet store at the same time and decided to house them together. Although they did seem pretty interested in each other, we were also able to tame them.

To answer your question: you don't take them out of the cage until they are used to going on your finger inside the cage. Once they get used to the idea that your finger is safe and not scary or undesireable. This can take a couple of months, do a search for "taming" and "step up" and you'll fond loads of stuff - you ain't the first people to come here for advice on the subject, and you ain't gonna be the last!

if you have to take them out of the cage before then (for vet care - have you found a qualified AVIAN vet? If not, find one now and put his number in your address book - you don't want to be searching for one only if a bird gets sick!) then gently catch them in your hands or use a hanky to carefully scoop them up, however this will stress your bird and should only be used as an essential last resort.

I have never heard that paired budgies are untameable: I have heard that a pair are less likely to talk than a single, and that males are more talkative, but have no experience in the matter.

And one last thing: are you totally certain they are both males? At that age it can be hard to tell, and the forums are full of stories of "I thought by bird was a male but 'he' laid an egg!" Just something to watch out for. you may well be correct about thir gender, but just in case. My friend and I started out with Lawrence and Cyril. The store owner told me he was convinced they were both boys. As they matured and got their adult ceres, it soon became obvious that Cyril was actually a she, and has now been renamed Julie.

Hope this helps!

ArticunoGail
    I was sane once, but I got better.

My baby boy, Lawrence.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you for the indepth reply ArticunoGail! As for the gender question, no we are not 100% positive they are mail since as you said they are young. But there ceres are quite blue, so its probably more likely they will end up as male.

As far as taming goes I started out by talking gently to them from a distance. Once they were comfortable with me close to the cage I began resting my hand on the lower outside area of the cage so they can get used to my hand. I expect to be at this stage for awhile longer.

Name
    Gail
    Thanks

Both of ours had the same blue/mauve ceres when we got them...Lawrence's got bluer but Julie's almost overnight turned tan...but she is a contrary bird anyway.

Any chance of pictures of your new babies? We all love pics and sghowing off our birds here.

ArticunoGail
    I was sane once, but I got better.

My baby boy, Lawrence.