Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Gail
    Thanks

Goodbye Dara, until we meet again by the bridge.

(The title should read "Goodbye Dara till we meet again" but although I removed "by the bridge" it still came up!)

Yesterday, the decision was taken by my parents that their black half-Siamese nineteen year old cat needed to be put down.

He had many problems. He had been the runt of his litter, was epileptic and asthmatic, the muscles in his abdomen were wasted, he had problems walking, was becoming incontinent, drank loads of water, cried for no apparent reason and wandered around like a lost soul, following Dad (whom he doted on) even if he just left the room for the loo or something. From certain aspects of his behaviour, we suspected he waas going senile. The vet said he was okay, but my family had their doubts. At times he sat hunched up and we feared he was in pain when he cried for no reason apparent to us. Finally deciding that he was never going to get better, only worse, and my Dad finally admitting "We're not prolonging his life, we are only prolonging his death", the decision was taken to put him painlessly to sleep, which was done this morning at 9.05.

Although he was my parent's cat, I visited their home so often that he was sort of a secondary pet at my secondary home. I recall so many things about him - I was the first witness (and the one who took him in and lay him by the fire and tried to comfort him) to to one of his seizures. I heard a cry of distess and riushed out to find him lying on his side, froth around his mouth and he couldn't stand. As we don't have rabies here in the UK I took him in, fearing he'd eaten slug pellets or a slug and that he was poisoned. Half an hour later he was standing up and walking and seemed fine. When he had another fit, my parents took him to the vet and he was diagnosed eplileptic.

I recall waking up to find him snoozing between my legs on the bedclothes. I recall him sniffing my face, chewing my hair, purring down my earhole. I remember him stertched out in bliss by the fire, seeing him on Dad's lap and sleeping next to Dad (who was also asleep) on the sofa. So many memories, so although not my full-time pet, I do grieve for him.

I don't believe I'll find him waiting by the Bridge, for he was more my Dad's cat than anyone else's and he'll have gone with Dad, but once my time on Earth is over and I cross over, I believe he'll be waiting with my parents to guide me to the afterlife with them.

Until then, sweet black shadow-cat Dara, I will remember you with great fondness.

ArticunoGail.
    Last edited by ArticunoGail; 11-10-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: posted before finishing by mistake.
    I was sane once, but I got better.

My baby boy, Lawrence.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Goodbye Dara, until we meet again by the bridge.

I am sorry Gail When it comes to making that last final loving thing we can do for our pets it is so hard on us left behind but your Dara no longer has any pain and is happy up there running around and playing like he was a kitten again. Your poor dad, its always hardest on the one who the pet picked as his but it least all of you got to share 19 wonderful years together.

What you said about meeting Dara and your parents by the bridge made me cry, what a sad thing but yet so happy really because I firmly believe we all will meet up there and be forever happy. HUGS
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm so sorry for the loss of your parents (and yours to a big degree) beloved Dara. It was nice of you to post and share the memories you have of him. He was a courageous cat and you and your parents were such excellent care givers of Dara, considering all of the medical challenges he had. I believe exactly what you do, Gail, I know that you will one day see Dara again, just as all of us will see all of our beloved pets that we had in our lifetime here on earth! I'm sending a big hug to you, and also my condolences to your family members. Rest in Peace, Dara!

Name
    Gail
    Thanks

My brother was pretty close to him too (for some reason, Dara preferred men to women-maybe because Dad and Russell provided him with long secure laps - Mum and I are small, Dad and Russell tall and lean.) He's pretty gutted too, he had another cat he shared with others, they've had to split and one of them took the cat. Thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated.

ArticunoGail
    I was sane once, but I got better.

My baby boy, Lawrence.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

So sorry for the loss of Dara. Your have written such beautiful memories that your family has shared with him. Sending you hugs from the States.