Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

anyone know if this will work or knows a different technique that will work

I was wondering if i wait until my bird poops right before taking her out of her cage, will she slowly start to realize that pooping should be only done inside the cage? cage poop trained bird? I heard this works if the bird realizes that I want her to poop inside her cage only. anyone know any other tricks? I know you can poop train a bird also and have a command but I want to train her to poop inside her cage first and then maybe train her to poop on command after that.

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Re: anyone know if this will work or knows a different technique that will work

Personally, I wouldn't teach your bird how to poop on command. Having a bird means you're going to get pooped on, it's just a fact of life. The reason I don't like poop training is from what I've heard around here and some other places. Some birds will hold it in, even if their owner is gone for an extended amount of time and then only poop when their owner tells them to. Obviously this can cause problems. My female cockatiel sat on her eggs for a very long time and would not leave the nestbox, and even when she did she didn't poop. She ended up with a bacterial infection and I had to give her a couple different types of medicine to combat it.

Of course some people will probably swear by it, but I just don't think it's a very good idea. You can keep a paper towel by you when you hold your bird and every time she's about to poop just put the paper towel under her. I always have napkins / paper towels by my laptop specifically for this reason.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AmberMuffinz View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't teach your bird how to poop on command. Having a bird means you're going to get pooped on, it's just a fact of life. The reason I don't like poop training is from what I've heard around here and some other places. Some birds will hold it in, even if their owner is gone for an extended amount of time and then only poop when their owner tells them to. Obviously this can cause problems. My female cockatiel sat on her eggs for a very long time and would not leave the nestbox, and even when she did she didn't poop. She ended up with a bacterial infection and I had to give her a couple different types of medicine to combat it.

Of course some people will probably swear by it, but I just don't think it's a very good idea. You can keep a paper towel by you when you hold your bird and every time she's about to poop just put the paper towel under her. I always have napkins / paper towels by my laptop specifically for this reason.
    are you sure the bacterial infection came about because she didn't poop or could it had been for other reasons? birds do hold there poop for long periods of time. for example when they wake up right in the morning, they take the largest poop of the day mainly because they hold it in while they sleep but having said that, i wouldn't want my bird to do something unsafe either. I take my bird with me everywhere i go so she is with me a lot and i been just dealing with all the poop on my shoulders but if i can do something about it, i figured why not try? i will just have to figure something out..maybe she will eventually put on the flight suit..or realize its not cool to poop on me

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Indeed, some birds I have heard get the training into their head that "I have to wait until my spot opens up" and if you accidentally block it, or they're away from it, birdy won't go at all. Now, some do teach their bird to go on a certain TYPE of material, like newspaper and you can offer that wherever the bird is. But, with smaller birds, that is probably a harder train than with the larger ones. I would just keep paper towels / a box of kleenex around and some water to wash off accidents personally.

Edit: I just saw your reply - if you're worried about your shoulder while out you can get one of those baby spit up protectors they sell for mommies to protect their clothes.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    Indeed, some birds I have heard get the training into their head that "I have to wait until my spot opens up" and if you accidentally block it, or they're away from it, birdy won't go at all. Now, some do teach their bird to go on a certain TYPE of material, like newspaper and you can offer that wherever the bird is. But, with smaller birds, that is probably a harder train than with the larger ones. I would just keep paper towels / a box of kleenex around and some water to wash off accidents personally.

Edit: I just saw your reply - if you're worried about your shoulder while out you can get one of those baby spit up protectors they sell for mommies to protect their clothes.
    am not talking about in the house..i dont really care about in the house..if she poops on me in the house after about a number of poops i just change my shirt but i am talking about when i take her outside. I cant wear a baby spit protector outside haha. I take her everywhere with me. if i go out to buy something like food or i dunno ..anything..i take her with me..if i go out to hang out with friends i actually take her with me..she has met almost all my friends already haha..i take her to school with me sometimes but not during class but when i study...the problem is that she poops and then smears poop all over the place...am going to try this cage technique and maybe potty train her and buy another flight suit with a different color to see if that makes a difference ..i really want to take her basically everywhere so she can see the human world but its tough sometimes because i cant take her to my brothers wedding because i will be wearing a suit but i really wanted to ..

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Pooping on command I feel is not good for the bird and can lead to complications.
    Bird poop is part of owning a bird.
    Think yourself lucky you do not have a Lorikeet on your shoulder sometimes most of the day.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Have never tried your idea yet on poop tarining. Do know though, that since I have 3 birds, to rather have area surrounding their cage rather fixed where minimal mess will matter. Also, in room they are in, have done best to make it safe for them and removed things I don't want poop on. Post again as your poop training program is working.

Daisy and Clover's Momma Hatching msminnamouse's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

I don't know what kind of bird you have, if you have a small bird, then it's pretty much pointless. Daisy and Clover, my two peach faced lovebirds are trained to go potty on command, but since they go several times a minute, could you imagine how tiring it would be to insist that it happens over a trash can each and every time? For small birds, like was suggested, wearing a shirt or cape or somethings is a good idea and keeping wipes handy.

For larger birds with a bit slower metabolisms, potty training can be worth your while. Every time you see your bird go potty, put a word to it. They'll put two and two together. Then start holding them over the trash can, say the potty word and treat and/or praise when they go on command. Your timing has to be right though because if you do this too often, it would take meaning away from the command since they can't always fulfill it. Or if you don't do it often enough, it also can take meaning away from the command because they won't see the need to go on command if you don't ask for it consistently. As always, timing and consistency are two of the most important factors in training.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Why can't you wear a baby spit up protector while out? Parents do it, you're a parront or you could fashion your own, a sort of shoulder patch that attaches to your clothing with self-stick adhesive, wouldn't be too hard.

Or I suppose you could try an aviator flight suit, they act as kind of diapers.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Boomer would go poop when we told him too but we never tried to make him go somewhere like his cage to pop only there. It is a bad thing to do because just like everyone else said some birds will not go poop until they can get the potty place they were trained to go in.

We taught boomer how to poop when we told him to poop by simply watching him do his poop before he came out of his cage and would praise him for going poop and then lift him out telling him good potties. He loved to be praised and within a day he knew exactly what go potty meant and he would poop anywhere we held up to go poop on. We usually would hold him over a piece of paper and tell him to go potty and he would usually lean to see what he was pooping on and let it rip and he was good for another 20 minutes before he would either go on us or if we checked him he would go on a piece of paper.

I take care of a Amazon here and I gave up on getting him potty trained because he just dont seem to get it. Be lucky you dont have a big Amazon on your shoulder because Mangos poops are disgusting to feel when they land on you! I would take a lovie poop any day over a massive Amazon poop.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

The first lovebird I had I was able to say, "Poop!" before he was let out, and he would. He was also good if I noticed it was time to poop in the cage if I led him back and then he could snuggle with me after. Ham is starting to get "Poop!" as a cue but its not one to command her when. Its more of a, "Hold on and let me hold you over this bag, now 'Poop' " sort of thing, and its working. However I have to jostle her around so she cant get into her squat before I'm ready. It doesnt prevent her from pooping, it just helps when I can catch her dance.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Sammy used to be cage/bin trained. It was pretty easy for us. If he went back to his cage to mess, or perched on the edge of the bin (his idea, not ours) then he'd get lots of praise and kissies. If he didn't, we just clean it up without comment. He loves praise, so learnt pretty quick. And if you don't praise him, he yells lol

Only thing is he knows we don't like him pooping on us... so when he's annoyed he does it on purpose. I'm not kidding. My hubby helped re-collar him recently, and then we had friends round. Sammy went nuts over one guy in particular and was like velcro on him. Except when he wanted to mess. Then he hopped back on my hubby and pooped on him. He did this for an hour straight lol. Definately not pleased with Daddy lol

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

One helpfull idea is to keep papers or whatever around the birds cage to catch seed, poop, whatever is getting tossed around. Rather strict trying to train a bird to only poop certain ways.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pixibubbles View Post
    Sammy went nuts over one guy in particular and was like velcro on him. Except when he wanted to mess. Then he hopped back on my hubby and pooped on him. He did this for an hour straight lol. Definately not pleased with Daddy lol
    I bet Sammy is now a hit with your friends, though.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

oh everyone adores Sam
    he's just such a cheerful, friendly, happy little guy. that's why the picking is maddening, He has no reason to pick- even the vets say he's one of the happiest, most cheerful lovie they know.

he's just a berk lol

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I love the word berk Boomer and my hubby had this love/hate thing going on and boomer thought it was funny to poop on the hubby so every time boomer charmed his way into getting on my husband that bird would hop onto him, poop and immediately fly away. It was too funny and you bet boomer knew exactly what he was doing. That Berk!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Melanie
    Thanks

I put Pico in his cageevery 30 mins or so and he poops, sometimes when he has been eating lots of fruit he needs to be put in his cage sooner.
    I am not afraid of blockage with him, cause when i am too late to bring him, he will just poo right where he is. Just keep tissues at hand
    I never trained him, he kinda does that naturally.