where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    naqshpa
    Thanks

cockatiel not abl to vocalise suddenly, suspecting egg yolk peritonitis

hi,
    i have a single female cockatiel 3 ys. she last laid around 7 eggs in october around 15th was her last egg. before that she laid around 3 eggs in september & around four in august. earlier for the 1st 2 years she laid only once a year aroud march april. she again laid last night & was sitting on the egg. suddenly 24 hrs later as soon as she got up from her egg she tried to chirp but could not. she was also eating less since afternoon. she was tail bobbing & sleepy for an hour. And then woke up & ate & preened herself. i caught her & looked for any swelling but could not see anything as she was struggling(she is not tame). i could not see any yellow thing in her poop also. she also showed mating behaviour( the usual one with tail up & squeaking sound). but she has just chirped once as i write this. she's craving for greens & eating wheat flour dough rt now. Could there be a egg yolk peritonitis problem with her as it is associated with loss of vocalization. she seems quite ok now after an hour not sleepy n & breathing heavily. tail bobbing is present a little but she usually has it when she is laying eggs. ive taken her egg away for a while so that she can get a bit active. ill try n contact a vet tom though im new to this city n bird vets are difficult to find. please advise because ive seen egg binding before in pigeons but i havent faced this egg yolk peritonitis so dont have much idea about it. what are its other symptoms. wud an x ray help to detect? now as i finish writing this she's already chirped 5 or 6 times. is there some problem or was she just broody after sitting on the egg all day.
    thank you
    naqshpa

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: cockatiel not abl to vocalise suddenly, suspecting egg yolk peritonitis

Hi! Naqshpa, How long has it been since you moved from your last residence. It seems if your little tiel only laid eggs once a year for the first 2 years you had her, that the environment and/or weather conditions could "possibly" have caused her to be "hormonal" in the fall season. As I'm reading your post, I also would like to ask what "wheat flour dough" is. I've never heard of it. Has she been eating it for a long time. I've never heard of this food being given to tiels. I do know that some "humans" are allergic to wheat products, but I cannot say if that is true for cockatiels and other fids.

These are just general questions that came to mind when I read your post. I'm sure that Marrie, the moderator here and many other posters who have tiels will read your post and respond accordingly. I sure hope everything will turn out for the best for you and your tiel.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    naqshpa
    Thanks

hi
    ive shifted 2 residences in the past 3 yrs. for 1 yr i was in hyderabad where she laid eggs in march after 2 months we shifted to pune where she laid one a year in march 2010 & feb 2011. but after laying in feb2011 she again laid in august 2011 which was only six months away. now just a month back we have shifted to another city n she's laid again. i dont think the city has anything to do with her laying. She's always shown lots of mating behaviour and more in the past six months. wheat dough is plain wheat grounded(wheat flour) & mixed with water to make a dough. In india it is used to make roti or chapati & is a staple diet here like bread is in other countries. chapati is dough rolled flat by rolling pin & then cooked on a flat pan no oil or anything is added in the dough or even while cooking so it is quite safe. we generally give it to her cooked but last night she preferred it raw & was not eating anything else. And she's been eating it ever since she came to us. she's acting normal now but just that 1 hour something was wrong with her. would an x ray help to find if anything went wrong inside when she was laying or sitting on her egg.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    naqshpa
    Thanks

also wanted to ask how is the x ray of a bird taken. my bird wont stay still in hand. ive read somewhere that a white liquid is given before taking x ray. can the x ray be taken without constraining the bird.

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Usually a vet will put a small bird in a paper bag to to the X-ray.

If the bird has a good balanced diet (with several sources of calcium while laying) and a good lighting source she can lay an unlimited amount of eggs with no health issues. Here is an article I wrote on another form that will be helpful: http://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=19866

With peritonitis the abdomen will be very swollen and when felt with have a very soft mushy feel....like a water balloon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit my Website: http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/
    SPECIAL NOTICE:
    1999-2012 Susanne Russo All rights reserved on my personal postings and digital images. This material is NOT property of this forum, and also can not be taken, re-worded/edited and posted elsewhere without my permission.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    naqshpa
    Thanks

oh god in a paper bag. she just wont let anyone catch her. struggles so much. Wanted to ask if there are any chances of her breaking ay egg inside her if she struggles so much.
    Also she is much better now & chirping. eating just a bit less but she is suddenly drinking very less water around 4 times since morning( she usually drinks a lot of water). that one hour something was wrong with her but i dont know what. any advise on what tests need to be done on her

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Yes....too much handling, or incidences of night panics, etc. During the the time the egg forms in the oviduct can cause problems. The main cause of peritonitis is an ectopic egg. What this means is that as the yolk was dropping from the follicles it missed the oviduct and got diverted into the abdominal cavity. While in there initially this egg material is sterile, and the body reacts by adding fluids to the abdominal cavity trying to flush this matter out thru the skin and body. The longer it is in the body the higher the risks that it can be contaminated with bacteria. When this happens aggressive antibiotic treatment (such as injectible pipercillin, and oral or injectible Baytril) is needed to prevent the infection from turning to septicemia (getting in the blood stream)

How were the shells of the egg? If they looked normal and hard this is an indicator that there will be less potential problems. If the shell, were thin or soft then the risks of problems increase, such as impactions in the uterus, prolapse of the oviduct (the channel that the egg forms and travels)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit my Website: http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/
    SPECIAL NOTICE:
    1999-2012 Susanne Russo All rights reserved on my personal postings and digital images. This material is NOT property of this forum, and also can not be taken, re-worded/edited and posted elsewhere without my permission.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    naqshpa
    Thanks

read your link just now thanks for the valuable information.
    should a bird who is in laying cycle not be handled. actually she was panting & breathing heavily yesterday so i caught her in my hand to check her abdomen.and she hates being handled struggles a lot. hope i dint harm her or caused any shell forming to break or the yolk going any other way. this was on 6th yest night. she seems ok since morning how long would it take any problems to show up. she had laid an egg on 5th sat night

Brand New Egg
    Name
    naqshpa
    Thanks

she laid just one on sat night 5th that was. And i had handled her yest night 6th. not laid any till now after that. she generally lays after 48 hours sometimes more the shell was hard not soft & evenly colored
    Last edited by naqshpa5; 12-05-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I never heard of putting a fid in a paper bag to do an x-ray. My fid needed an x-ray about 7 years ago and they used an anesthesia. I recommend taking your little girl to an avian vet and have blood work done to make sure she has no infections. Also, you can talk to your vet about treatment for hormonal tiels, such as lupron injections. Lupron will temporarily shut down the reproduction system. I had my tiel on the injections for about 6 years and it does help. I would recommend about speaking to your vet about egg binding too.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    naqshpa
    Thanks

ive asked my vet in the earlier city about the injections she said they were not safe & could damage liver. And we do not have avian vets here only normal vets.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Sorry to hear that you don't have any avian vets

Brand New Egg
    Name
    naqshpa
    Thanks

ya its a big problem here. n on top of that my bird dosent let anyone catch her.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    naqshpa
    Thanks

hey,
    my cockatiel just laid the 2nd egg this evening. do u think that if an egg comes it eliminates the risk of peritonitis happening before that? she has laid at 3 days interval before this also also. And is it normal for a cockatiel to breathe heavily for a while after laying an egg. do u think i still need to get an x ray done. she's acting & eating normal. but i still dont understand what happened to her that 1 hr on sunday night. Have u ever had experience of a cockatiel behaving ill for 1 hour & then becoming normal again.
    Last edited by naqshpa5; 12-06-2011 at 06:50 AM.