where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Clover doesn't want to stay out of her cage

Daisy and Clover's Momma Hatching msminnamouse's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Clover doesn't want to stay out of her cage

Lately, Clover keeps asking to go back into her cage pretty early on during out of cage play time. Since she can be so mopey and anti-social and so needs the socialization and exercise, I don't let her back in. So she finds a corner to go sulk in and that's not really any better.

Besides upping her dose of Prozac, which I have to talk to her vet about, can anybody think of anything? I try to make play time as pleasant as possible. Treats and toys on the floor for her. Things to climb on and explore, etc. I don't force touching or anything. It doesn't seem to make much difference though.

Is not letting her back into her cage even the right thing? Should I just let her back in when she asks? She'll pretty much never have any out of cage time besides when I have to take her out to give her her Prozac. I realize that taking a bird out against their will can lead to them biting you and it'd be your fault but it's not every once in a while she wants to go back in her cage or not come out, it's every day.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Clover doesn't want to stay out of her cage

Poor Clover, it must be hard for her to be on prozac. I dont know what to say except I know I would talking to Clover's vet about this to see how they feel about her not wanting to come out.

Is it helping with her plucking? Just curious.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Poor baby. I know when my bird is feeling anti-social I just let him come and go as he pleases, with the door open, but given her depression I am not sure which would be the better option. I know the humans I know who take prozac get very withdrawn and they lose interest in things, my cousin's father has no interest in anything beyond sitting in a chair and watching TV because of it, he mainly does things when his wife orders him to (I know, would be an ideal man in jokes, but it is sad). So maybe it could be the medicine making her less interested in play time? But if it is making her less interested in plucking too, it's better than her mutilating herself.

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

I don't know, I'm wondering if maybe it's because of Daisy. Clover doesn't seem to want anything to do with her lately. If I leave the door open to Clover's cage and don't let out Daisy, then Clover usually comes out. I guess I should start doing that more. The hard part is that it feels like I'm punishing Daisy by not taking her out too and she might view it that way since she would see me taking out Clover but not her. There's no balance here but Daisy wants to come out all the time, so turns wouldn't make much difference to her.

Or maybe it's not Daisy that's the reason. I really don't know what to do...

The Prozac has stopped Clover from mutilating herself and that's what's important. But as for the plucking, it's a vicious cycle. Her collar causes feather loss and depression and when I take off the collar, she won't let the feathers grow back in because I guess it must bother her but if I put the collar on her to let the feathers grow back in, it doesn't happen, like I explained. So there's no solution for this... If she plucks but doesn't break the skin or do it extensively, than I'm okay with that, just as long as she's not breaking the skin and plucking areas where the feathers are already established.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I don't think turns would be that bad for Daisy, plenty of people have to take turns if their birds don't get along. You could give her something special to eat during clovers playtime, then let daisy out when clover goes in and give clover the treat that way they'd get something good even if not out right when they want it.

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

I could try but even treats don't always work with Daisy, all she wants to do all the time is play! I mean, she asks me to throw her ball for an hour straight or have me wind up her bunny so she can kill it. I'm not even exaggerating. I have to make a video of the bunny, it's funny and disturbing at the same time.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Just let the bird go back in the cage if it tires of playtime. People sometimes have to make adjustments when dealing with birds, dogs, or people. If she is miserable being out too long, put her back in the cage.

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Bill, I don't think you understand what's going on here. She'll only stay out for literally a minute a day, every day, if it was up to her. She doesn't tire of playtime, she wants to sulk in the corner of her cage.

Thanks

If I leave the door open to Clover's cage and don't let out Daisy, then Clover usually comes out. I guess I should start doing that more.
    Have you tried this yet? It may be this simple. I dont think the boids will mind taking turns for play time.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Daisy sounds cute - is there a toy you could give her then that might distract her in the cage? Maybe wind up the bunny for her? My tiel wants out to play all the time too, but he just has to deal with sometimes being in the cage anyway, like when I am eating pasta and don't want a bird topping I doubt it would hurt Daisy to take turns.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

My nan's bug does this. But then he's bred from English show stock, so I guess sitting and watching the world go by is in his genes. Plus he's always been like this.

Could it be that she;s mad with you. I know I'm always in the bad books after dosing Sammy, putting the collar back on or preening certain bits when he is collared.

Is there anyone else who can supervise playtime? does she have a playstand where she can hang out in her own space, but still be out? Failing that have you tried removing the cage? Just to see if she reacts any differently?

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!