Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Goodbye sweet Julie, gone too soon:~(

Name
    Gail
    Thanks

Unhappy Goodbye sweet Julie, gone too soon:~(

Many of you will be familiar with my anecdotesanmd questions about Julie. It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I must tell you that Julie died at sometime between 7.10 and 7.40 today.

When my boyfriend and I went out to get a pizza, she was chirping and hopping about on the ground as she usually does, and as usual making a noise along with her cage-mate Lawrence. She was acting no different to how she usually did. When we got back half an hour later, as I sat down I noticed Lawrence seemed a bit quiet. Then I spotted the little bundle of pale blue, cinnamon and white feathers lying very still on the floor of the cage.

I think I knew at that moment, because she wasn't even twitching, and I cried her name and opened the cage to pick her up. She was still warm and mobile, but she was quite clearly dead. I could see no physical injuries, and her keel was well-fleshed. I cannot afford to have a necropsy done, plus am visiting my parents from tomorrow (my boyfriend and hius parents will take in and look after the remaining budgie, Lawrence, to keep him company.)

My boyfriend, although he was annoyed if they woke him at daft o clock, was devatstated, and I'm pretty gutted myself. I will bury her in our front garden tomorrow, and pulled her tail feathers out to keep in her memory.

Lawrence knows something's happened to her, he was flying around his cage like a mad thing till we let him out, and he was nuzzling up to me and grooming me, and then went onto my boyfriend for a short time, a first. We threorise he's already lonely, and wanting to be close to the flock now Julie is gone.

So, that is what happened and although I am upset, as yet I am unable to cry. This on top of my best friend's mother's death yesterday, so at some point I am going to end up crying, but for now I can't quite believe it, I keep thinking it's a bad dream and I'll wake up and it'll be OK.

So till we meet ast the Bridge and I hear you sing to me again, farewell Juile, sweet bird, impetuous madam, and acrobat.

ArticunoGail
    I was sane once, but I got better.

My baby boy, Lawrence.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Goodbye sweet Julie, gone too soon:~(

Gail I am sorry for you loss I can only imagine the pain Lawrence must be feeling now. Your right he does know what happened to Julie and in his heart he knows he lost her and I am sure he is reaching out to both you and your boyfriend for comfort now.

Fly free Julie
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,294 Posts

Fly High and Free, Julie, Over the Rainbow Bridge! Rest in Peace! You were very special to Gail and her friend. You will be missed for sure. I'm so sorry for your loss, Gail.

Name
    Gail
    Thanks

Thank you Deanna and Ellen, your kind words have been a great comfort. I have many fond moments of little Julie. She used to tease Lawrence, letting him feed her and getting his hopes up, then hacking her beak at him once he tried to snuggle up hoping for a bit of 'action' (nudge-nudge-wink-wink! She used to go to wherever he was perching just cause he wanted to be there, but then he'd fly to the top perch and sing as if to tease her,and sometimes if he as in a bad mood, she'd find him holding the ends of her tail feathers in his beak so she couldn't fly off!

I well remember she got used to me stroking her chest with my thumb, how she'd screech if everything wasn't just so, how I was amazed by her hanging upside down for no apparent reason-even once from her swing, while it was swinging, singing her little heart out! I recall her on my head, grooming my hair. I recall her on our light shade, and climbing up the net curtains I put up partly for that very purpose. She would eat from my hand, and nibble up my arms, crawl over my shouders and up and down my back, and nuzzle under my hair. Yes, I got pooed on, but I didsn't mind, as I understand it from posts here (and much experience) that's par for the course when owning birds! Anyway, I'm sure I heard somewhere that a bird pooing on you is supposed to be lucky. As I was regularly crawled on or flown onto (so regularly pooed on) and around by two budgies, I must be a very lucky person LOL!

She is buried in the front garden, I had to get up early as I had a hospital appointment followed by a 4.5 hour journey home that day. I said a few words as I covered her, although my heart was heavy. Once I get back, Lawrence (being cared for by my boyfriend's family) is going STRAIGHT to the vets for a check up, although he seems okay at the mo, so was Julie half an hour before I found her dead.

I said in my first post that I couldn't afford a necroscopy, but to be truthful I don't know how much one would cost, plus did not have the time to get one done. I shall be asking the vet how much it would have cost when I take Lawrence for his well bird check, hoping I won't need to, but best to know, plus will ask if he noticed anything odd or different last time he saw her (at her beak/nail clip two months ago.).

Thanks again everybody.

ArticunoGail
    I was sane once, but I got better.

My baby boy, Lawrence.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,294 Posts

I know it is so heart breaking to lose your precious little budgie. You have soooo many wonderful memories of Julie that will always come to your mind from time to time. I still remember the first budgie I ever had when I was only 11 years old, and now that I am a "grandma", I still remember things he did and said. My step-father taught him to say "beer"! "Birdie want some beer"????? (lol). One time he got out of his cage and we could not find him anywhere. It was summertime and my mom and I had been going in and out of the back door of our home to the clothes line hanging clothes. We looked high and low for him. About an hour or so later we heard his chirp, but it took awhile to finally locate him!! YIKES!! He had crawled into the back of our old "Tube" Television! How he escaped death at that point of his life is beyond me. He was hand reared and tamed when I got him. I would come home from school and let him out of his cage and he would fly all over the house and then land on my shoulder and just hang out with me for a couple of hours. One day, I was out in the kitchen fixing something to eat, and he flew right into the dish water and was sooooooooo wet. I called my mom who was at work and she told me to turn on the oven on the stove for just a little while, then turn it off and let it cool abit, and put Mickey (my budgie) wrapped up in a towel in the warm oven to warm him up so he wouldn't get sick. That worked. He did not get sick. We went on vacation to Florida one time in the summer and took him along. His cage sat in the back seat with me. And he sang and chirped all the way to Florida and back. He lived to be 9 years old, which in those days was really old because back then the seed was merely a small box of just plain canary grass seed, no added nutrients or pellets, and of all things a box of bird gravel, because back then they recommended you give it to your budgie. And one swing to play on. He had such a sweet spirit. And I look forward to seeing him on the Rainbow Bridge one fine day, for sure!

So, as you see, the memories you have tucked away in your heart are certainly for a purpose. Years from now you will reminisce and think of your sweet little Julie! And you should do so, because she certainly was a wonderful little budgie with such a sweet, sweet Spirit.

Wishing you the best bonding ever with your little Lawrence!