where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Zebra finches - Cage size?

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Zebra finches - Cage size?

Hi!

This person I know has adopted 2 male zebra finches. They were given to her along with a cage. The cage is tiny! 15" X 12" x 16" h. The cage has two perches but those sandy rough ones, I don't know how you call those. There is a small nest in the cage.

I know next to nothing about finches but I feel the cage is too small. What would be a good size for those two little fellows?

She's a first time bird owner and I'd like to help. The birds seem to get along, they chirp, and they often take turns taking a nap in that little nest they have in that tiny cage.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Marie

R.I.P. little Bailey

Now slave to new budgies Dexter & Deb

If birds of a feather flock together... don't stand under them!!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Zebra finches - Cage size?

Hey Tadelle,

Unlike parakeets and conures, finches don't enjoy to be handled and they're quite happy being left alone in their cages. Despite being smaller in size, finches have loads of energy, which is why they need relatively larger bird cages. My father (bird enthusiast) typically recommends that the cage a pair of finches should be housed in a bird cage that is at least 18-20" wide, to allow them to get the exercise they need. Otherwise, they may start displaying aggressive behaviors if they are not able to exercise and exert all of their energy on a regular basis. Your friend's cage sounds pretty small. I would suggest a type of flight cage, that is if your friend has the room for one... Hope this helps!
    Last edited by WookieePups; 09-29-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    pat d
    Thanks

Hi T, All birds like as much room as they can get; it gives them room to fly around. In terms of size, the most important thing to know is the spacing between the bars. You don't want them too big because he could get out which would be dangerous for him. I looked at a couple of sites and finch cages seem to have eith 3/8 or 1/2 bar spacing. I belong to a parrot rescue group and they have great info on the site. The group is Mickaboo and the url is http://www.mickaboo.com. Go to the "reading room." You'll need to scroll down past the newsletter part and you'll see several categories. It's great info and will help you alot. Good luck, pat

Brand New Egg
    Name
    khayyam
    Thanks

i agree with both patd and wookie. finches are tiny balls of energy and need lots of room to fly.its best to get longer than taller since that is how most birds fly. also the perches with the sandpaper can be hard on the finches feet.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

All I know about finches is that they often come in beautiful colors, and there are many varieties of them from around the world. Just keep asking around, possibly a good pet store that has a good stock of bird cages what would best house your finches.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    victoria stiles
    Thanks

Zebra Finches have become one of the most popular pet birds in the world. Zebra finches are fun little birds and are easy to have in your home.

Remove Ads