Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Wild Parrot Caught

The second one in his pictures is a a Amazon Parrot, my sister has one and it looks just like him. If Amazons are wild in Guyana then the one who got caught up in the tree may just be a wild Amazon. I want to say Mango my sisters birds is a Orange wing Amazon but they are like lovebirds, just too many differant kinds I cant remember all there differant breeds.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by britany View Post
    That's the thing you can't he is wild bird, and probably will never be tame.
    The situation of dreinked's birdie is now resolved with birdie flying off.

All birds are wild, with exception of barnyard chicken and ducks. Even those bred in captivity will still be wild. At best, captive bred will be 5-6 generations from the wild caught, not enough to matter.

What you wrote in above that wild birds can never be tame is not correct.

Below is an extract from

Bird born in captivity & 353 heads // Meet Jackie
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/132671.html

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Riamfada was a wild caught CAG as seen in her open leg ring. She was a rescue and given to my charge when she was about 5-6 years old. She came to me bitey and fearful.

In about a year, she was doing free flights to me.

Yingshiong above is a white rumped shama. A shama is a songbird. He was caught from the wild at about 3 years old. He was given into my charge at about 5 years old. He flew to me on cue within a month of coming to me. Breeders of shamas told me even their breed shamas , some they hand raised, never ever landed on them. They told me above was the first ever they seen of a male shama landing on a human.

Libai is a Greater Greenleaf song bird. Caught from the wild and probably about 3 years old or so when he came to me.

Even wild caught and old birds can be so easily trained and bonded if you know how.

Understanding them is the first and most important step that can be taken.
    That is the most fundamental truth in looking after birds.

One do not need a young bird be the bird from breeder or anywhere else.

If one start on this route, where will that end?
    Getting younger birds?
    Getting handfed birds?
    Getting baby birds?
    With eyes still closed?

That we get them young to imprint them that they are humans and not birds so they interact better with us?
    Getting very young birds apparently caused much problems with the birds when they are older.
    I wrote on this problem in
    Imprinting of birds
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/130187.html
    Warmest regards

Shanlung
    山 龍

http://shanlung.com/

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I guess the parrot decided the matter for himself

And I disagree with you Shan. I think there is a very big difference between a wild trapped bird, and one that has been bred in a human built environment. I know that all animals are descended from wild birds (even chickens, ducks and geese were wild once).

The difference is our caged birds don't know any different. they don't know how to survive in the wild anymore than they know how it feels to spread their wings without the confinement of humans. It would be unfair to release a human bred bird because they'd most likely die very quickly. But i equally think it's unfair to trap a wild bird and steal it from the wild it knows.

I'm not saying you can't work with and bond/tame a wild bird. I know you can. I have in cases where they've been too badly injured to survive in the wild. But I'm saying that where there is another choice (like just leaving them be), it isn't fair.

Oh, and my pet bird came from a breeder. His parents were pet birds, his grandparents were pet birds- and I know that for at least 6 generations back that breeder has kept that line. Although I'd guess it's probably been at least 50 generations since any of Sammy's ancestors have been wild birds. Not to mention he's in the UK. He'd never survive in the wild. And he was 12 weeks old when he came home with me, which for his kind is fully fledged and flying for a few weeks. Old enough that he may have left his parents in the wild anyway. And he doesn't think he's a human. he's a cheeky, naughty mischevious little parrot who has adapted the human world around him to meet his birdie wants. Which is why my lampshades get replaced all the time coz he likes to hang on them and swing like it's a tree. And it's why all my cushion covers have to be washable, coz he likes to dig inbetween them and grub about for treats lol

But if he was magpie I found at the bottom of my garden who had fallen from its nest (they're pets for trying everything too soon!) or a starling caught by a cat? They all go to the nearest rehab centre, get better or bigger and get released into the wild again.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Wild birds can be tamed, yes and they can make good pets. ANY bird can be tamed, if you have patience, though hand raised are easier usually, especially for the people who don't have experience.

But, for me, taking a wild bird out of his natural habitat and putting it in a cage is kind of like taking a wolf out of the wild and asking it to be happy in a kennel. It isn't fair to the animal. My cockatiel could NEVER live in the wild, he'd die quickly - the little guy is too dependent on humans after being hand raised and all his food coming to him in a bowl from a human. But all the wild birds I have ever helped, go back to the wild, I would never dream of trying to keep them unless I _had_ to for their health and I would never go out and capture a cardinal, even though I think they are gorgeous.

Not a criticism of you at all by the way Shanlung, I know you said all your wild caughts were given to you and you do amazing things with the birds you have. You also give them more freedom than most birds will see in captivity, with your free flight recall training, which is beautiful to see.

Thanks

pixbubbles,

I am a student, and a student I will remain.
    Not an expert or guru with teachings enshrined in stone to be obeyed.
    So do feel free to disagree with anything that I say, or with all that I say.

Marrie,

My interactions with birdies must have been about the most documented, often from the beginning or even before the beginning.
    And you know too that Oberon had been returned to the realm of the fairy queens where hopefully he would find a good life.

I rather wish wild birds are left in the wild.
    I wish even more fervently that habitats can be left alone by mankind for wild birdies and beasties to live the life that they should live. As without those habitats, anything still wild are living on borrowed time especially when they come into conflict with humans living there.
    At sixty plus, I can still recall the more pristine forests that I had known in my childhood. With birds calling and singing and butterflies wild and varied.

Those forests are a shadow and postage stamp sizes. And silent now. With barely a few chirps from insects.
    We, humans, are the worse enemy. Whether deliberate thoughts of profits, or with mistaken kindness.
    Warmest regards

Shanlung
    山 龍

http://shanlung.com/

Name
    britany
    Thanks

I wish all animals were left alone in the first place and I love animals so much that I wish humans never existed because what they have done to the land and the animals!

But I don't really mean that to the people who actually care about animals

Brand New Egg
    Name
    victoria stiles
    Thanks

Figures say 90% of wild parrots that are caught illegally die before ever reaching adoption.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kathryn
    Thanks

I know this was a while ago, but do you mean he escaped back into the wild? If he was a lost pet or let go by someone, he will take a while to trust again. I found a Bourke and he has taken about a year to start warming up to me.