Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Cortney
    Thanks

Budgies first eggs

Hello there. I usually just post in the cockatiel forums. But recently. My female budgie has started laying eggs. It is her first clutch, and as I have four budgies in the same cage, I am not sure who she has mated with. That is not the problem however. The problem, is I went out and got her a nest box, so she would stop laying them on the cage floor. Well I made the mistake of touching the four she had laid. And when I went to check the nest box this morning, the four eggs she had already laid, had been smashed.

Is that normal behaviour? She is still continuing to lay them, but the previous four, had been smashed. I feel really terrible for that, but she is continuing to go inside the nest box, and stay inside it for long periods of time. Though. My cockatiel is also laying eggs, so I am curious about if.. since one bird is laying eggs, would that have stimulated the other female to lay?

Since my budgie is laying eggs. How many should she be expected to lay? And will she lay eggs to replace the ones that she had smashed inside the nest box? My female budgie has not hit one year of age yet, and I know it is dangerous for her to be laying eggs right now. I am giving her protein, and calcium.

Any advice or tips would be great. Thank you.
    Koko~Ni~Iru~Kara

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Re: Budgies first eggs

Take the nest box down. If you want to breed PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do your birds a favor and read up on the subject. There is WAY too much written on this subject to make your birds your first, blind learning curve. If your pet store does not carry books on breeding budgies pick up some from http://www.abebooks.com

Next - NEVER EVER have less nest boxes than breeding prs. unless you are asking for a blood bath. If you are going to colony breed you ALWAYS have 3 or 4 more nest boxes than breeding prs.

NEVER EVER have uneven males/females in any breeding colony. Colony breeding has the highest stress level possible and the poorest breeding resuts on the best days.

IF you want to breed the best way is to individual cage breed. Leave the flight cage to vacation time/off duty time.

Next if you want to breed make sure ALL your birds are on a healthy diet of fresh veggies and fruits. Seed should only be an after thought of something to eat.

Lastly - just because animals have the abilty to reporduce - YOU - as the owner need to ask yourself SHOULD these animals reproduce? Have I paired up the best to the best to creat better offspring? DO I have a plan of what what I am going to do with all the extra birds should my hen give me 9 chicks? Do I have a market or will these go on Craigs List and we will see?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I completely agree with Kerry. Breeding birds is "serious" business. There are sooooooo many things that can go wrong. Thank you Kerry for posting the information you have. And Courtney, I'm not saying these words in any way to put you down or chastise you for the egg laying. I am just posting my own opinion about breeding. As far as your tiel laying eggs, do you have a male tiel also or just a female. Again, having a tiel laying eggs is a very serious matter. Tiels can die from being egg bound. They also can die without the proper diet, including lots of calcium, pelleted diets, with maybe a small amount of seed, and other special foods. I also feel it would be a good idea for you to learn all you can about tiels laying eggs. I have a female tiel that I got back in June, who started laying eggs in September and I don't have any male tiels in my home. I'm watching her very carefully. She has laid a clutch each month since September. So far no eggs in January, but I still worry about her chronic egg laying. This is just an example of problems that can develop with any female bird who begins to lay eggs. I don't think my Ollie is even a year old either. I would suggest, like Kerry, that you find all of the information you possibly can about tiel and budgie behavior. There are also books that are written you can find in any book store, or on-line at Amazon, that would be a good investment to have in your home to be able to pick up and read again and again. I hope this information is of help to you. And I would add to definitely take the female out of the cage and put her in a cage by herself and don't put a nestbox in the cage. If she lays eggs on the floor bottom then she does. The first time I bred budgies, the female was just swinging on her cage and laying eggs right off the swing and onto the floor. And of course, they immediately broke. Very young and inexperienced budgies and other birds are just like young human mothers so to speak. They really don't know exactly what it is all about and they have to experiment and display behavior such as this because the whole process is new to them. As far as knowing the father bird that has paired up with your female, in my opinion that isn't a big concern. The bottom line is your little budgie needs to be separated from all of the males until such time as she is old enough to be able to go through the breeding process, and you have studied the whole breeding process from the time of egg laying all the way to the hatching and feeding behavior of the pair. And finally, any eggs that get broken must be removed immediately so that your birds don't end up with salmonella poisoning. And one day, after you have learned and educated yourself about breeding your budgies, if and when you decide to breed them, the male and female must be in a separate cage away from any other budgies. Jealousy can be sooooooo bad in a cage with many budgies together, they literally can kill each other over the affections of the female.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-20-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Name
    Cortney
    Thanks

Well I appreciate everything you've said. It was really helpful, and I didn't intend to breed them, but I consulted my vet when they first started laying, and she's the one who had told me to go out and get a nest box. When i told her of the cage situation, she told me to monitor them, to see which one was bonded to her. And that I needed to give her more fresh veggies and fruits. Which I usually give them fresh fruit and vegetables daily anyway. So I was going by what she had been telling me to do.

She had also told me, that in order to make them stop breeding. Switch around everything in the cage, and make it seem unsafe to lay. And to also keep the cages covered, so that they have more night time. Apparantly everything she's been telling me to do was wrong, because despite what i've done, it didn't stop them from laying eggs; and sadly resulted in the death of my female budgie. I have never owned birds before now, and when I got the ones I have, I had NEVER intended to let them have babies. I have an extra cage, but I didn't know to separate them, because my vet told me that wasn't the best idea. When they broke the eggs, I did remove them quickly.

My female tiel does not have a mate. I have also read other posts on here, about boiling the eggs, and putting them back into her cage, so that she can get sick of sitting on them herself. Which is what I have done. I'm just waiting for her to leave them alone.

Anyway, thank you for all your advice. I'm starting to think, that maybe I'm not the right kind of person to have birds.
    Koko~Ni~Iru~Kara