Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

^ is bored Hormonal Tweety-holic's Avatar
    Name
    Emmie
    Thanks

Neutering an old dog?

I've been trying to adopt an older dog (10 years+), and I finally found the perfect one- a 10 year old chihuahua that they were literally adopting out for free because they wanted a home for him so badly (I was considering a 15 year old doxie, but the fee was $200...all I have right now is $200 so that means I couldn't have bought it toys or anything). I filled out the application, answered additional questions, and BAM! they hit me with the "you're irresponsible because you didn't fix your dogs, so no chihuahua for you." I was crushed. I was really looking forward to heading out to get the dog tomorrow It was a 45 minute drive but we were ready.
    So, I told them I would fix my dogs and tell them once I did. I made Chelsea, my 4 year old poodle, an appointment at our local humane society. They charge only $20 for fixing, plus a free microchip. However, they charge normal fees for dogs over 6...which, in this case, is my 10 year old dog, Buddy.
    I really want to adopt an older dog so it can spend it's golden years in a loving home, but I'm so scared to neuter Buddy. He's so old, and I'm not sure he can react to the anesthesia very well. I never fixed my dogs because they've NEVER been interested in each other, Buddy has never run off for a female, and Chelsea is never around any other male dogs.

Some people say the pros outweigh the cons of fixing an older dog, but if something happens to Buddy during surgery, I'm not sure if I could go on. He's my every thing. Have any of you had experiences with fixing an older dog, and if so, how was it on the dog? Stressful or just like any other 5 year old dog who just got fixed would act? Is it worth the risks? And if I still don't feel comfortable with fixing him for his old age, would other shelters be okay with this or no?

RIP all my baybees<|3
    My Scroll

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Neutering an old dog?

You may find another shelter that is not worried about your dogs being unaltered. I understand where they are coming from, since a male/female mix always has the risk of puppies and they don't want to give any of their pups to a backyard breeder (not saying you are, but they can't know you aren't). My vet flat out said NO she would not put our 10 year old dog under for spaying because it was too risky for her, unless there was a medical issue that required it, so I would be worried about him too. Could you discuss it with your vet and if your vet says it is not a good idea, have them put it in writing for the shelter and get your poodle fixed? Then you have a doctors note for your 10 year old, if your vet is like my vet, the shelter can't really say you're an irresponsible owner if the vet says not to do it.

Name
    Emmie
    Thanks

I really hope we can find one, because I'm the impatient type. I'm visiting a few shelters tomorrow and will talk to them about it before I go off finding a dog. And yes, I understand why they have the rule- it just kind of made me upset they asked me all these additional questions that took me a while to type up answers to, although they already knew my dogs were not fixed. -sigh-
    And yes, that is a good idea- I'll see if I can swing by the vet tomorrow while I'm at it and talk to them. Even if it's a small risk, I don't even want to try it. Hopefully they can give me a note explaining like you said. Thank you for the help

RIP all my baybees<|3
    My Scroll

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yeah, you need to look somewhere where they won't hit you like this. It's not irresponsible to own intact dogs as long as you keep them under control (and current research points to leaving them intact as being better overall for their health). I would be seriously concerned about having a 10 year old dog put under for an entirely unneccesary surgery.

Name
    Emmie
    Thanks

Exactly, I wish they would have understood that. I didn't know that leaving them intact was better for their health. Hmm...
    And yeah, I decided not to do it- like you said, it's unnecessary and he is old, so it would do him more harm than good. I don't want to risk anything with him. Thank you for your input.

RIP all my baybees<|3
    My Scroll

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

You don't mention what sort of dog you have but 3 years old isn't too old. I had my 2-3 yr old border collie/collie neutered and he displayed no bad behaviors afterwards. It could be helpful to consult with a vet you trust and ask what could have possibly caused your friend's dog to become skittish following his surgery.