Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    khayyam
    Thanks

creepers and crawlers? (french moult)?

hello. i just had some baby budgies about 5 weeks ready to leave the nest..mom was gettin a bit angry at them and then i realised she had another egg inside the box.....so i took out the babies and i was just wondering if they might be what some people call "creepers" or "crawlers".there are three.one looks fine and is flying a bit. the other two, their longer flight feathers are a bit short and so are their tails.when they go on the floor of the cage the only way they can get back up is if the climb the cage mesh. it looked like they tried flying but there not getting very far. my knowledge on these is very little and it would be nice if someone could help me. maybe you can put up some pics of these budgies with french moult and how i could help them.thx

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Re: creepers and crawlers? (french moult)?

Not all the babies will develop to the exact same extent at the same time. They hatch at different times, so you might be looking at the younger ones - the later hatchlings. In birds that young, a couple days difference in age is a big difference in how they develop.

Just a silly side note: Years ago I gave birth to twins - a boy and a girl. The girl had been conceived a month earlier than her brother. Obviously they were born at the same time, but my daughter developed 1 month earlier in things like cutting her first teeth, holding her head up, crawling, etc.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    khayyam
    Thanks

thanks alot ..you were right. they were just a bit younger.they are now flying about abit and nibbling greens. but ive got another problem.the daddy has been feeding them but hes been trying to mate with one of them and its annoying the poor baby..what should i do

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

If they were mine, I would purchase some hand feeding formula and separate the babies from their daddy. The babies should be old enough to be eating on their own, so hand feeding should be really easy. I would put them in a cage and place seed on the floor (or in a large saucer) so the babies can get it easily. At their age, they should be able to do without formula, but I prefer to have it on hand and give it to my birds as a supplement. Far better than risk leaving them to feed themselves and inadvertently starve. Birds lose weight very rapidly and die quickly from insufficient food, which is why I prefer not to rush weaning.