Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tina
    Thanks

My baby has turned vicious

I have a lovely, affectionate cockatiel. She is probably 3-4 years old now. Last night she laid an egg (first) and we can't get anywhere near her. Whenever anyone approaches her cage she jumps on the cage, hisses and bites and has drawn blood. So unlike her and I am not sure what the next course of action is.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: My baby has turned vicious

She's just protecting her "baby" - she will likely lay more eggs, just leave it alone until she's done with her clutch. Is she a solo bird, or has she a mate? If the eggs are not fertile, she'll grow bored with them after a while and then you can throw them out. If you remove them while she's laying though she'll replace them and it can lead to calcium deficiency and egg binding. Be sure to provide her with calcium rich foods - kale, egg w/shell etc and a cuttlebone. Keep an eye on her in case she shows any symptoms of egg binding, or malformed eggs (which can become fatal if untreated). Once it is all over, she should go back to normal.

There are ways to help prevent laying, if you browse around (lovie forum especially) for threads with similar issues you will find a lot of the advice past members have gotten. I don't have a hen personally, so can't give much detail in my advice on this matter.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tina
    Thanks

She is solo, and this is her first egg. So I should boil an egg and put it in her cage? She is such a fussy eater. We have not succeeded in getting her to eat any fruit or vege. She likes weetbix and raw sugar. She is just soooo fussy. What are the symptoms of egg binding and if she does show symptoms who do I take her too? thank you for you help

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

As she is single she may only lay the odd egg now and then.
    You do not need to boil the egg she has laid as it is not fertile.
    If she is determined and lays more, I say put a nest in and let her lay. But I would also get dummy eggs to replace the real thing.
    My situation is much more different to most, as I have a free flight and the Tiels do what ever they like when they feel like it. I have had two seasons where my girls have laid eggs. Somethings that you can try may work for you. Daylight hours, what you feed, keep changing things around in the cage and even move the cage to another place.
    In my own situation the only way I have managed to control laying is to go with the flow and then swamp them with dummy eggs.
    As for signs of binding, watch to make sure she is pooping OK. You can expect large poops in the morning if she is sitting and holding over night. If she seems lethargic grab her in a towel and chack her outlet for swelling.
    Any signs of trouble get her to a vet.
    You could try Peas, Sweetcorn, and you could sprout Mung Beans for her. As for calcium if she is that fussy you could grind up fine egg shells or Cuttlebone and sprinkle over her seeds. Don't stress about fruit, it is not a Cockatiel think. I know some do, but I think you will find most don't.
    Yes her attitude is defense, and she will get over it.
    I helped Cindy raise her young as she is very young and this was her first clutch. Yes she would bite and attack while in the nest, so used a glove or cloth to get hold of her, so I could feed the young, handle them to get them used to being handled, and then put them back in the nest, where she would soon be back in there with them.
    I did detail my female egg laying story week by week over the last, but on another forum. The thread is titled The Egg Factory.
    And at the risk of offending this forum I would point you to The Parrotboard. The thread has had 925 views, as everybody followed all the things I tried. It only covers this season. Not what I went thorough loosing Roxy due to prolapse.
    I hope all this helps you in some way.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Piper did the exact same thing when she reached 3 years old. Like you, at the time she was the only bird in the household and she too turned into the feathered monster when her hormones were enraged. 1) Cut down the amount of daytime hours for her. 2) Do you have another room where you can put her in? Sometimes a change in the environment will not encourage her to lay eggs. 3) Please take Marie's advice and give her foods that are rich in calcium. Also, this condition is temporary...

After the first couple of years of having a feathered monster in my home, which only happened toward the end of February, the first part of March, I did have my avian vet give her lupron injections. Lupron is a hormone that will temporarily stop the reproduction system. I always made sure my bird was good in health before I would authorize my avian vet to go forward with the injections. But when that time of year did come along, I did move Piper into another room and was covered much earlier that usual. Usually she would sleep for 12 hours, during her hormonal time, she got 14 hours. After that, she got back to her sweet self again.

Your little girl is just being protective of her eggs because that's what Mother Nature tells them to do. Just be patient and as mentioned, watch her droppings (if they are very large or she is holding it could be a sign of egg binding) and make sure she isn't lethargic. I suggest that you do take her to an avian vet to have her checked out if her hormonal behavior continues.

Does your little girl have a name??

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Just a quick note... Since this is the first time, it may happen about the same time next year. Try not giving her scritches because that does encourage the hormones.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

If she won't eat fresh foods for you, you can buy some egg food (found at most pet stores, or online) and sprinkle it over her food. That will get some into her. Here is an article on egg binding http://www.cockatielcottage.net/binding.html

If she shows any symptoms of egg related issues, an avian vet is required. If she lays _a lot_ of eggs, the vet can give calcium supplements as well that you can give her orally.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tina
    Thanks

Hi Caroline, thank you for your advice. My little ones name was originally Oscar however is now Oscarlina !! She was very nasty for three days, then let me know that she was ready to come and and be my friend again . She paid no interest in the egg so we removed it. This morning she was lovely and then I came home from school pick up and there was that ferocious beast again, sitting on another egg !. So that makes egg number two. I will put her in a nice quiet room, I'm sure she would enjoy the break from my four boys

Thank you again and I will keep you posted

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Oscarlina How cute!! Glad I can help you out. Looking forward to reading your updates..