Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Help with new Diamond Doves?

I just received my Diamond Doves two or three days ago and I'm worried about them. My male is docile and coo's while my female paces and tries to look for an escape from the cage. They're very skiddish when I change their water or enter my hand into the cage. They coo and murmur and even make a small growling noise at some points. I have some natural perches I got from the pet store for them and a nest with soft cotton in it for them to sleep in, but they won't sleep in it.. And I have newspaper on the bottom. I read that the grill on the bottom would hurt their feet. I also put some millet in there hanging on the side of the cage. And a dish of finch food and grit mixed together on the bottom of the cage away from a perch so they won't well.. poop in it because I read that they eat more like chickens. We even tried giving them a dish of water to bathe in but they wouldn't go near it. I also gave them some parsley, reading that it actually is good for them. I just want to be a good mom to them.. Help? :<

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

Re: Help with new Diamond Doves?

It might take them a little while to get used to you. They'll eventually recognize that you are the bringer of food , but try not to make sudden movements. Even the doves at work are used to me, and they will, on occasion, let me hold them... and that's with about 5 min of interaction from me per day. They seem to get used to the noise level in the house - our diamond dove LOVES the TV, to the point where she cries when it isn't on. Our dove is really tame (she gave everyone at the vet kisses, she helped clean their computer keyboard, and sat on the vet's head), but she has her "freak-out and fly around the house away from the humans" moments. She still paces to look for ways out of her cage (even after being out of her cage all day), and attacks when I change her food.

My girl hasn't gone near her nest since she kicked the last of the eggs out. If the two aren't bonded or it isn't "egg-time", they probably aren't that interested in the nest. Twitter sleeps on the floor of her cage, usually on her birdie blanket (Cozy Corner?). We use paper towels to line her night-night cage (I've heard printed newspaper dries their feet out, but I find it makes a mess... inky feet and feathers!). Her flight/walking cage goes without liner... but it's easy to wipe up.

As for food, I know there are a few threads on Tailfeathers that have safe veggies to eat. I usually feed Twitter some of our tortoise's leafy greens (romaine, dandelion greens, etc., all chopped up), carrots (ground up), broccoli (her favorite), whatever peppers I have, and eggs. Our vet recommended the eggs: once a week she either gets a bit of over-cooked scrambled eggs or over-cooked (40min) hard boiled eggs with the shell ground into them - it's a way to get her a bit more calcium now that she is laying eggs. With all of my pets, I look up what they *shouldn't* eat, then I offer them just about everything else that I can. Pumpkin was a HUGE hit for everyone in the house! Her main diet is Harrison's Mash and a canary/finch seed mix.

My husband and Twitter coo at each other. I never realized the diamond doves had such a huge vocabulary!! We've been able to identify about 12 totally different noises, but we aren't sure what all of them mean. We thought she was imitating the cat, but now we know that it's just a special coo for the cat... she also has one for when she hears the car pulling in (it's a LOUD coo).

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty
    Marco (Polo) - Russian Tortoise

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

I forgot!!

http://www.diamonddove.info/

This page, plus the Tailfeathers forums helped me get Twitter to the spoiled bird she is now.

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty
    Marco (Polo) - Russian Tortoise

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Liz
    Thanks

My only concern is that my female keeps flying almost into the side of the cage. I'm not too sure to let her out yet, with them not being entirely tame. But on the other hand, it might calm them. I just don't want them hurting themselves. This does help though.