Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Terri
    Thanks

Cockatoo beak issue

I was wondering if anyone owning a Cockatoo has had any issues with the lower beak chipping? I recently acquired my beautiful Umbrella 3 months ago and his lower beak at the end was broken. So I took him to my Avian vet a month ago and he drimmeled it to be even. Now he has done it again. Lets see if I can describe it...of course I said the lower beak at the end just half of it like a slide I guess!! Just the end...it is not even halfway. No bleeding. He eats his food normally. Doesn not have a problem cracking his shells so I can tell he is not in pain. Does not drop anything. Yes I am taking him to have it drimmeled again unless the vet says to let it grow out some more or whatever. But just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Does anyone suggest a calcium substitue? ( I will ask the vet this also)

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Cockatoo beak issue

I haven't heard of this issue, though I am not a too owner myself - I would ask the vet if it is something they see often with toos, or if they have any idea what you could do to help prevent it. Is your too eating a lot of fresh foods? Usually they get enough calcium through their diets.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I never heard of this but then I never had a Cockatoo. Egg with the shell (cleaned) crushed into it is a good source of calcium for birds and so is broccoli. I would ask the vet when you take him in because maybe this isnt a calcium problem and just him breaking it on something. My sister has a Amazon who chews on some hard things and I never seen Mango break or chip his beak on anything but then Too's have bigger beaks then a Amazon so they can pick up bigger things to chew and possible chip there beaks on. I hope he is OK and dont need it dremmeled down again, this just has to be stressful to have done.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Terri
    Thanks

Thanks for you responses....My Macaw and Cockatoo eat everything I eat of course except for Avacado's and Chocalate!!!! And the Too shares his food with my Aussie dog lol They are defainetly an entertaining bird!!! I have an appointment with the Avian so we will see what he suggests. His cage is as big as my living room and has so many toys and blocks etc to chew on so it's not an issue of lack of. He is spoiled rotten. He is a picky eater though. My Macaw loves saltine crackers where as the Too has nothing to do with it. He'd rather chew on a pork chop bone lol I have done some research and found a calcium substitute I can put in his water so after seeing the vet we shall see. Oh and he doesn't mind his beek dremmeled at all! He is the most loving Cockatoo I have ever met! Lucky to have found him!!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

He sounds like a big lover bird, my favorite kind of bird. I love that big birds always seem to eat our food, my lovie would eat some of our food but preferred his food over human food. Mango will come and stay with us, sometimes as long a month and he will only eat human food and not his food and he isnt picky at all. If we eat it Mango will eat it.

I know one Cockatoo and he cracks me up, he is only 3 years old and is always up to something funny. He does this dance when he gets real vocal and you cant help but crack up at him because its just so funny to see swaying all around and screaming out words that make no sense to us at all. With your two big birds your house must be loud and never without a dull moment.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I would ask the vet for as much info regarding this problem as you can think of. Also, could ask questions of people that own cockatoos, or find an online group where many too owners are on. Someof them would have an answer.