Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: RIP Danny

Name
    Kaz
    Thanks

RIP Danny

My mother's 10 1/2 year old budgie, Danny, passed away overnight.

My mother let me know yesterday that he wasn't eating much and was sleepy. I didnt like the fact he may have been in pain so I arranged for my husband to take my mother and Danny to our avian vet. He thought Danny might have a problem with his liver and gave him some medication, telling my mother that if he didnt improve in a week Danny might have to be put to sleep because he obviously had other issues because of his age. I think the vet knew Danny wasnt going to make it because he would have kept him there in an incubator. My husband and I gave Danny some medication last night (mum doesnt like doing that).

Mum called this morning to say Danny had died in the night. She had held him for about 30 mins yesterday evening and he gave 10 chirps (he had been quiet all day). She put him in a shoe box and slept beside him all night. He moved at some point and she didnt want to disturb him but he passed quietly. He looked peaceful - just hope he wasnt in too much pain.

Though he was on a seed diet (and overweight with breathing issues and arthritis in his foot), he outlasted two of my birds who are on a more varied diet; my budgie Zakie who got on with him (she died young of being egg bound despite being operated on by the vet) and last year my beloved male tiel Gabi. I like to think that Gab was waiting for him at the rainbow bridge.

Danny had the most amazing vocabulary and was tame - he would walk along his perch to you and would hop up on your finger and chat with wide eyes. He was always chattering and a happy bird.

RIP little Dan.

Here's a few pictures of him. We had him to stay at the end of January while mum went away and got some photos with Jaspa and Olli with him.

Danny

Danny and Jaspa one weekend morning

Danny and Olli one weekend morning

Tiels Gabi (RIP) and Jaspa; Tiel Olli
    Budgies Sam and Zakie - RIP

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: RIP Danny

I am sorry for you loss of Danny. Give your Mom a hug for me because it must of been so hard on her to find him dead in his box next to her.

Fly free Danny
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Karen,
    Give you mom a big hug for me. Having Danny for over 10-1/2 years is amazing. She was great paront to Danny and a great help with your babies as well. Especially when you had Olli in quarantine. You wrote a beautiful tribute to Danny and I personally think that Gabi was waiting with open wings for Danny at the Rainbow Bridge. So sorry for your and your moms loss. Sending a hug to you too!!

First Clutch Hatching... maxollie's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Karen, I'm soooooo sorry to read about Danny! What a wonderful life he had. Your Mum was a super parront to be able to care for him with so much love and dedication. 10 1/2 years is a very long time. I know your Mum and you must be very sad today. I'm sending you both big hugs and my sympathy. And thank you soooo much for sharing the pics of Danny, Olli and Jaspa. They are sooooooooo cute. Olli and Jaspa look so very content and healthy. I'm very sure that Gabi and Danny are flying high over the Rainbow Bridge!! Rest in Peace, Danny! You had a wonderful life with such an excellent "mum"! And thank you Karen for the lovely "memorial to Danny". (hugs)

Name
    Jaime
    Thanks

Very sorry for your moms loss and yours of course. I am sure you all loved him. I feel your pain. I have only lost 2 parakeets ever out of my over 30 and I cried like a baby!!

Name
    Kaz
    Thanks

Thanks for your responses. It's pretty quiet at mum's please with no budgie chattering. I think in time mum may get another budgie as it's company for her and even dad misses him. We buried him on Thursday night in a pot where my budgie Zakie is buried - they were 'pals'. It's nice they're together now.

Tiels Gabi (RIP) and Jaspa; Tiel Olli
    Budgies Sam and Zakie - RIP

First Clutch Hatching... maxollie's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Aww! So appropriate to bury Danny with Zakie. They are reunited on the Rainbow Bridge now and flying high and free! I do hope your mum will consider getting another budgie. I would be lost without the budgie "chatter" in my home. I think it would definitely lift your mum's Spirit because I can only imagine how lost she is without Danny being there. 10 1/2 years is a very long time to have a little budgie "best friend"!

Hatching
    Name
    robin
    Thanks

very sorry for your loss.
    Hi, I'm Robin

Name
    britany
    Thanks

im so sorry to hear about your lost..