Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janice
    Thanks

Budgie poked other budgie's eye out HELP

Hi my grandmother own quite a few parakeets and she keeps them in a rather smallish cage considering the amout. Now one of the older parakeets has severely attacked a younger one, and one of its eyes is completely gone and there's this big red bulge replacing it, the other was attacked to but it's sort of swollen, it can still see through it. I know it's wrong and if I'd known sooner I'd have told her, but right now I need help, what should we do? I know a I have to take it to a vet, but right now it's a little impossible, any other remedies? So it doesn't die and maybe heal?

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Budgie poked other budgie's eye out HELP

It needs a vet ASAP - emergency vet if you have one.

But in the mean time, take it out and place it in a small hospital cage set up. Keep it warm, make sure food and water are close enough that it doesn't have to move much.

http://www.adorablebudgies.co.uk/hospital_cages.php
    http://arizonaexoticbirdrescue.weebl...e-at-home.html

There are some articles on hospital cages. Essentially you want to keep the bird warm with it, because they have trouble retaining body heat when sick/hurt. Make sure you do not overheat him, so use a thermostat to monitor the temps.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janice
    Thanks

Apparentely this attack has happened about two weeks ago or so! I am so disappointed in my grandma, she says she's been putting warm water on her wound every day, this red bugle is what it's left with, honestly I don't know what to do. It still seems pretty feisty, and it can certainly see through the other one, maybe we can try some medicine or remedies, a vet's pretty much out of the question right now, please help if you can

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Without a vet, all you can really do is keep it clean - but the bird is likely in a lot of pain and at serious risk for infection.

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/medical.html ... there is some information on how to make an antiseptic wash for wounds, you can clean around the area with it and a q-tip to try to help keep infection away.

You also want to separate it if you haven't from the other birds and maybe buy another cage to try to spread out the budgies if there are too many in the one, or she is likely to have more injuries happen.

If money is the issue, you can call around and some vets are willing to do payment plans if it is an emergency situation. At the worst, a rescue may take it in for treatment, though you would have to surrender the bird.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janice
    Thanks

I feel like crying about this believe me, actually I'm only 16 and I've been pleading for them to take it to a vet but no one in my family is taking it seriously and I can't do much myself since it isn't my bird really. I'll keep trying to do my best, thank you so much for your help!

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I am sorry your family is being stubborn about this, being a minor is really frustrating sometimes