Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Decorah Eagles are back!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

The Decorah Eagles are back!

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

They have laid two eggs and are sitting on the nest. I just got to see the Mom fly in and take over sitting on the eggs for the Dad. If you havent checked these Eagles out you need to because to see them lay the eggs and raise the babies is such a awesome thing.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: The Decorah Eagles are back!

Thanks for sharing the link Deanna. They are amazing birds. A few weeks ago I actually seen a snow owl sitting on a freeway sign on the way home from work.

I'm going to bookmark this page and occasionally watch the progress..

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I like to watch them now and then as well. Last year it was a hard winter and it was almost too sad to see the Mom or Dad sitting in the nest covered in snow. I hope that dont happen again to them this year, I am such a bird whimp it was hard for me to click to see how they were doing. Once the babies grow up it gets fun to watch, now its rather boring but still super neat.

Wow a Snow Owl, that must of been such a good sight. Every now and then we can hear a owl down by the lake we live close to and it sounds like a big one but I have never had the pleasure of seeing a real one anywhere up here. We do have a pair of Bald Eagles at the lake and I do get to see them now and then but they are good at hiding so its rare to see them. They are the reason I have my camera with me when I go to town. I would love to get a picture of them. Once we were in our canoe on the lake here and we paddled right under a Eagle and all he did was stare at us looking at him. That was the best bird sighting ever.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

From what I have heard, the owl that I spotted is no stranger in the area where I work. Others told me that it's a youngster that migrated from the Arctic because the tundra has been rock solid and they need to eat. I was told that they hunt small animals such as bunnies and squirrels. We have no shortage of them around here. I wish I could have parked my vehicle on the side of the highway to get a picture, but I don't think the other commuters would appreciate it.

The only bald eagles that I have ever seen were at the zoo. But seeing one in the wild would be the best bird sighting ever!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Are you in Michigan? Just wondering. Snow Owls are gorgeous birds and would love to see one in real life and I sure wouldnt hesitate to pull over on a big road to get a picture of him.

We have bald eagles at most of the lakes around our house. I am lucky to live in the mountains in Northern California where we have such amazing creatures all around us and I never miss a chance to get out there and see them.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Sure am.. I'm in the northern suburbs of Detroit. Trying to pull over on the side of the interstate when traffic is bumper to bumper can be dangerous. Around here, you have to drive very defensively, especially at rush hour. I've seen eagles in the Northern parts of Michigan near Cadillac and Traverse City. Unfortunately, no bald eagles. Can't remember what kind of eagles they were, but the way they soar through the sky did take my breath away. There have been bald eagle spottings in Michigan, I haven't seen one yet. That would be a good thing to add to the bucket list.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I guess it would be hard to pull over on a freeway with bumper to bumper traffic. I was thinking about the freeway up here and it wouldnt be a problem here because the only time we get bumper to bumper traffic is when the city people come up in a snow storm and crash all over on the freeway because they cant drive in the snow. I can understand why you didnt pull off then.

Last night it was snowing on the eagles nest, I hate seeing them sitting in the snow but last year was so much worse to watch. Today the nest is a little snowy but not bad.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    khayyam
    Thanks

jeez..you all are so lucky. here in barbados we dont have much wild birds except sparrows and pidgeons.when its winter for you all though we have a whole lot of birds migrating here. we sometimes get eagles too. we have a resident hawk at our (one) airport though. he keeps the bird population down there. he was also once caught on camera eating a blue budgie! we also dont have any owls or anything

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I perfectly understand what you mean when people don't know how to drive in snow and car crashes all over the highway. There have been times when a 10-15 minute commute to work took over an hour. Fortunately here, this winter has been very mild and hardly any snow accumulation in the Detroit area so far. Usually the robins migrate during the winter and I have seen them here and there throughout the winter. But to see eagles all the time in your area would be considered as a precious gem.

We to have hawks here too. Hawks are always circling around the sky looking for something to eat. We have many at our place in Lake City which is in Northern Michigan. There are many sandhill cranes that visit during the summer and migrate back south starting about October. One advantage of living in a state with all four seasons is that I do get to see a variety of feathered friends.
    Last edited by Pipers Mom; 02-25-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I think the eggs will be hatching soon. The website projected the first egg to hatch this weekend. I can't wait to see the new eaglet.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have been checking in on them too and I thought you were just going to tell me one of the eggs hatched. I am excited too, I love it once the babies are there.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

One egg hatched today. Got to see a glimpse of the baby. It's absolutely adorable. So, I'm thinking that the other eggs will be hatching within a week. Both Mom and Dad have been very attentive to the nest.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

The second one finally hatched. Now there are two baby eaglets. Just one more to go.. Soooooo Cute!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I cant beleive the second one hatched already, I am so excited and just turned the site on so soon I will see two babies. I did see the first one and your right it is adorable. I was watching the Dad on the nest and he is just sooo gentle and he kept looking down between his legs at his new baby. I love them

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

That is terrific that you have eagles where you are. i have seen many falcons and hawks where I live but never an eagle.

Remove Ads