Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: PLEASE help!!! My budgie is dying!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Hesper
    Thanks

PLEASE help!!! My budgie is dying!!

Hi, about a month ago I adopted two English budgies, a male and a female, who had been living together for some time. They both did fine until a few days ago, when I noticed the female (who is bigger) attacking the male randomly (she would fluff up her neck, inviting him to preen her, and then attack him while he screams. She also won't let him eat, so I've been separating them during mealtimes.

However yesterday day I came home from school and noticed the male wasn't looking too good... he had a bit of blood over his cere as if he had a nosebleed and redness under his eyes. He was looking listless and puffed up. I separated them and covered the cage with a blanket for warmth and the this morning he looked a bit better.

HOWEVER I noticed he won't eat!!! I thought he was eating fine because I heard him rooting around the food bowl but when I tried to give him millet I noticed that he wasn't actually eating the seeds, in face he couldn't even bite them off the spray!! I started freaking out and put a seed dish next to him, and he tried really hard to eat them but it's like he can't pick them up! He's starving because he normally doesn't eat in front of me (he's not quite tame) but today he was.

My first instinct was that his beak must have been overgrown, and it was a bit long, so I filed it down some with a nail file. I hated doing this because like I said he's not tame, so he was screaming the whole time and it was extremely traumatic on him, but I didn't know what else to do :(

I put him back in the cage with food, hoping he would start eating but he still hasn't. He just pecks at the food like a pigeon, without picking it up or shelling it. I can tell he's getting weaker, he's always fluffed up now and he feels a lot lighter than my female bird! I don't know what to do to help him, what could possibly be causing this?? Is there a way I can force him to eat?? I'm freaking out because I know he's hungry but something is stopping him from eating...

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Re: PLEASE help!!! My budgie is dying!!

Sounds like your bird needs vet care. They don't last too long if they are really sick without medical help. Keep your bird away from the female. She will only attack more if the other bird is sick or injured.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Your bird needs a vet. Also, I would not trim the beak unless you know what you are doing with that, you can improperly trim it, or cause damage if you file it too far. He may have something wrong with his beak causing pain, or an infection, or some injuries from the fighting. If he doesn't see a vet soon though, it doesn't sound like his chances are good.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

What do you want us to do? No one can hand feed your bird via the internet.
    Yes it does sound like your need and avian vet.
    WHY would you keep your cock with a hen that attacks him????????
    WHY would you keep your cock with a hen that likes to keep him away from the food bowl???
    What message WERE you waiting to get to understand this was NOT a good living situation for this poor bird?
    Hen's WILL kill a cage mate they don't care for. HOW loud do you need to hear the crys before you think it's time to move the lessor bird?
    Just becasue you toss 2 birds in a cage does not mean they will be fast friends any more than if I locked you in a room with someone of my choosing. Personalities are there be they human or animal. YOU have to be the wiser one to see & hear what works and what is not working.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Laurel
    Thanks

You need a vet and yes a hen will chase a sick mate away from the food and herself went through the same with a Tiel pair last year. If he is not even eating millet he is very sick and only a vet can tell you what to do

Mom of 3 fids Chick DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Hesper, it sounds like your bird suffered a serious injury to his jaw, which is probably why he couldn't eat.
    Just so you know in the future, around this time of year, females get 'hormonal', meaning that they are getting ready to be mommies. Some birds get very aggressive when this time comes around.

I once had a beautiful female finch who I had hand-raised. She behaved fine until that time of year came around. Without warning of any kind, she killed one of my other birds.

I hope your little boy can recover, but I really don't think it's possible. Take him to a veterinarian right away.

For future reference, always keep birds in their own separate cages. Let them play outside of the cages - but watch them carefully. Once you get more experienced with birds, you'll learn how to recognize the danger signs easier.

Please, no matter what happens with your precious little boy, keep coming to the forums to read the posts and learn what other people experience. It will help you greatly in the long run.