Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help!

Name
    Priscilla
    Thanks

Unhappy Help!

I just got a 6 year old male cockatiel a few days ago. I took him from a lady who just separated him from a female cockatiel. She gave him away because he is picking at his feathers and has stopped his routine morning singing, she felt as if he was depressed. He doesn't have any bold spots he just looks like he went through a paper shredder and made it out alive. The lady also had two huge dogs so I'm pretty sure he was never let out of his cage. I have a male cockatiel who is 9 months old and I'm hoping they will become friends. I have them in seperate cages for now. I'm just scared that the 6 year old won't get better. I'm not really sure on what to do. I bought him a new toy and try to take him out of his cage. Any tips or comments would be greatly appraciated!!

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

Re: Help!

The first thing I would do is take him to the vet and make sure that he is healthy - BEFORE introducing him to or putting him anywhere near your bird. From your description, I question the picking his feathers. But your vet will be able to more thoroughly address this and IF he is picking ensure there is no medical reason for it. IF it is plucking and it is due to behavior, he can stop the behavior, but you will have to be diligent in helping him. It may also be as simple as the change in environment - being around the two big dogs may have cause some fright, which may have also caused the damage to his feathers if he was having fright flights. Make sure to start with you put his cage in a corner and cover the back and the sides to give him a sense of security - let him get settled in. Try not to change too many things on him for awhile to allow him to get settled. And I honestly think the most important thing is to take him to a vet and get him all checked out.

Best of luck!