where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meet Zeus.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Meet Zeus.

Zues is getting use to your house and exploring it when your not home. I think a big cage would be good for him just to make sure he dont get into trouble when your not home. I would hate to hear that he bit into a cord or something bad when your not home watching him. James, your a good "parront" to Zues staying up and watching him to see if he is plucking when your in the other room. Maybe he has separation anxiety and if you move his perch into your room he might sleep better. Our lovie slept in my daughters room and if we tried to leave him in the other room he refused to crawl into his bird bed and sleep at night and instead sat on a perch looking very miserable.

If you can find it Red Palm oil is good to put on there human foods they eat. I heard it really helps out there feathers and works on the inside out to his feathers. Also find some pure Aloe and add it to water and mist it with him, this will help soften up his feathers as they are growing in and help his skin not to itch so much. Pixibubbles know all about what to give birds with feather issues so hopefully she will come back and give you a better answer then I did.

Congrats on your associates degree Sinthea!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

Thanks ^_^

At this time we can't move him into the bedroom as he will go to his old cage and become aggressive protective of it again. Our cabin is small so there is nowhere else for us to put it until we move. Currently we have to balance Zeus possibly having issues at night with the harm that would come to our relationship with him having to be chased from his cage every morning.

I do hope to get him a nice big new cage however they are expensive. When we got Zeus it was on a whim, not planned out but because really there was no option. If we didn't take him he would have died and so we took him in even though we don't have the money to provide everything he needs right when he needs it such as a big new cage.

Also- Zeus has been eating his pellets. He likes them to be soaked in juice then he must grind them to a powder for the bottom of the play stand. Then he will hang almost upside down and eat the powder. Weirddo. lol

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

Moved to a new cabin. Zeus seems to really like it. He spent a good couple hours playing on the floor upstairs while we moved things in downstairs. He was curious and acting like a real cockatoo. Melted my heart to see him act like that.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy he likes your new cabin, it sounds like before long he is going to be a happy Too all the time.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Cass
    Thanks

I've read everything that has been posted here, and you are amazing to have saved Zeus. It's awesome to hear he is really liking you and is getting over his fears. When I was younger I started to bond with a bare eyed cockatoo at a pet store, so I know just how sweet they can be

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

They can be sweet, but they can be mean!!

Zeus attacked me a week ago. I was moving him to his playstand off the floor and he bit down on my arm. Then did it again. And again. At the third bite as it was near the underside of my wrist I was forced to gently flick him off my arm. Sadly our relationship has been damaged by this- he wont let me pet him and I am still getting over the shock and the fear it created.

The doctors at my work didn't help by reminding me how much trouble I would have been in if he was a inch over on my wrist and he got an artery as I live 20 miles out of town and 30 mins from the hospital.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry he decided to bite you Sinthea, especially after how far you two have come since you got him. My sisters Amazon does the same thing to me and he will turn in a instant and bite me hard enough that he scares me. I know he knows I am afraid of him and he will lunge at me everytime I come near him. It is hard to not fear them once they have bitten you hard enough that it made you bleed and wonder what would happen if he bit down harder. They can crack a hard shelled nut easy so our skin is like butter to them.

I hope he is still nice to your boyfriend so it least he can bond with a human still until you two can be friends again.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

He is still cool with James. Found out when we leave he leaves his playstand. Bitter sweet as it's a sign he is going to need a cage as soon as we can afford it. Not really much to update otherwise. He is back to being his normal moody self and we are working on things between us.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    James Calvin
    Thanks

So the bird is still great with me it is getting better I can hold him when he leaves his stand to walk around buti got on to say im back and great news! I found something to maybe bond Zeus more with Leeanne and I. So I am an avid PS3 gamer and am a trophy hunter so I will be at this game for a very long time to anyone who gets the trophy thing.I got a game called Active2 Personal trainer kinda like Wii fit and stuff but more intense it has workout programs daily logs and personal trainers to help you get where you want to be since i cant get motivated in a gym or anything this is the next best thing and Leeanne and I can both do this ANYWAYYYYS it has songs with catchy beats and I found out Zues will DANCE!! okay not so shocking we knew he danced just not with us around BUT HE DANCES WITH US AROUND!! in the game when it has us running and jumping up and down and squatting and throwing our arms about Zeus Dances With Us! So I think this will help out A LOT!!i will post the video in the morning also got him a couple new toys and im getting closer to having enough money to build him a "cage"/large Zeus gym So our Greek God of the Heavens can tourment our Greek God of the Underworld with his awesome gym that Hades cant get into to destroy and play... that is not untill we feel comfortable with them two being around each other that close.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I cant wait to see the video of Zues getting his exercise by dancing. I am happy you found something he likes to do with both of you, this is a great way to get him and Sinthea to bond again.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

The main thing is that Zeus now has a regular home and will be eating right on a regular basis. All the other issues with Zeus can be handled as time goes on. Too hard to do them all at once. Little here, little there, and all will be better for you and Zeus.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    James Calvin
    Thanks

So this is zues dancing its only 24 secs long
    View My Video
    I would suggest muting the video so you dont have to hear the game

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

He really does like to dance with you I am happy you found something he seems to really enjoy doing with you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

hehe they are a great pair getting their exercise together!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    James Calvin
    Thanks

So since this site is almost dead maybe i will try to bring back life for a couple days. BUT an update on Zues, Leeanne and I. Zues has gotten to not like Leeanne much he flew of his stand and she went to pick him up bird walked over and bit Leeanne on the arm several time close to her wrist and she flung the bird off to keep him from biting something vital but we are not very sure why he did it though he dances still and i found something to help his feather and skin more he doesnt tear at his feathers as much anymore so some more have grown back. its -35 here in Fairbanks, Alaska but our house is up in the mountains in the inversion zone so its only about -5 there we are starting to save up to buy Zues a big cage Because Leeanne and I have a baby on board now due in mid june 2013 and yeah the bird lets me pick him up now and he is terified of lights like a lazer light or the reftlection of light from a cd or a case. he is starting to become more curious though with the lazer light

My baby Baylee I <3 U!! Baby ChesterHannah2010's Avatar
    Name
    Maria
    Thanks

probably he feels there is something different about her and thats why he bites her.
    Baylee SF Violet D Turquoise female white faced lovebird
    Kiwi SF Violet D Pale headed female peach faced lovebird

A lovebird has the soul of a larger parrot in a small body.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I know another Cockatoo, Sam and he is a one person bird. He will be all nice and sweet to other people but you can never trust him because to us it is a huge show he puts on because we all know that he can turn on someone in a instant and make them bleed. I think Zues is your bird and it is a great idea to get him a cage so that once the baby is here you dont have to worry about Leeanne or the baby getting hurt. I also have to say congrats on the upcoming baby, this will change both of your life's lots but in a GREAT way.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

The birdy bite happened months and months ago before I got preg. ^_^

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Sharp little bird. Snow white in color and has the classy name of Zeus. Cool bird.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    James Calvin
    Thanks

So its been a few months since we've updated Zues is doing great, he is slowly becoming more vocal he sounds like he is trying to say some new words im only working part time at the moment so i try to socialize with him even more or just sit there i'm getting even closer to being able to pick him up from his stand and we have aquired my dads cat now and the cats will check Zues out but when he gets off his stand its chase the cats around time his feathers are growing in a bit more but he is still biting at his feathers. i try to bath him everyday since he doesnt seem to know what to do with a bowl of water and i rub his feathers that are hard with water and he lets me preen his head now just evrything with zues is going in the right direction i want to take him to a vet soon since we have got an avian vet now and doesnt charge a whole lot but i dont want the act of me trying to get the bird into the carrier to ruin all the progress i have made with him. any thoughts on that might help. and Leeanne is almost 5 months now we are having a baby girl and her name is going to be Coraline Emberlyn Calvin

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Congratulations of having a girl I am happy Zues is getting better with each update and how funny that he chases the cat around, it is suppose to be the other way around but with a beak like Zues has I dont blame the cat for running away from him. I really have no suggestions on how to get Zues in a crate and not have him be upset with you but maybe he wont be all that different once you do it and he can come back home to be where he belongs. My bird didnt have any problems going to the vet but then he was use to being a cage so it wasnt a big change like it would be for Zues since he dont live in a cage.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

The only reason he went cage free was due to his bad history with the cage he had. It was the same cage that all of his past neglect took place in. Being locked in a place with so many bad memories would drive even a person to self destruct.

A goal is to get him into a real cage before Coraline is able crawl. Plan to secure clear plastic walls on the outside of the lower part of the cage to keep little fingers out while baby learns to leave bird alone and bird learns to leave baby alone.

Zeus and I are still on the outs but every so often he forgets that I'm evil and I get some love. His playstand has once again been relocated. He now stays upstairs in our bedroom between the nightstand and the dresser. Zeus loves to play in clothes, downside is he gets protective over "his" clothes if a dresser drawer is left open, maybe he is a she? Its similar to how a female IRN would get when she would get into the egg laying mood only with Zeus it is only over clothes he is allowed to play in too long.

Even better than watching a bird chase two cats around the cabin is watching him chase an 80 pound husky/german Sheppard mix. Zeus missed the memo that he is tiny next to the dog. Sadly, my dog also missed this memo.

Started this year's garden inside. Carrots, celery, tomatoes, peas and beans oh my! Cucumbers, onions and more! Wish me luck, still learning this whole "gardening" thing.

Zeus did have a phase where he regressed on his feather destruction- we had a period when we had little money due to running out of heating oil and trying to keep us all from freezing and couldn't afford the best food for him, sadly we had to opt for some food is better than no food. In theory an animal will eat something it knows is food but doesn't like if it is hungry enough. Zeus rather eat his feathers. Tax return came in, heating fuel and his mandatory supply of nurtiberries obtained, Zeus is again happy albeit, slightly bear chested.

Spraying him with a conditioning feather spray every day once or twice to try and make him more comfortable however as it is with any human self mutilation, the habit is hard to break and a relapse can cause it to come back in full swing.

He is still very picky on his toys, only a few we can get from petco will please him enough to play with them. Made an attempt at getting him to branch out but his last three toys have been painfully ignored as well as one from the last batch. He simply doesn't know what to do with them.

he will destroy some wood children's toy bits that we found. Maybe we should try taking the toys apart and just presenting the pieces? may try that tonight now that I think about it. Maybe he just prefers foot toys. Would fit with his love of nutriberries over all else, even the lose seed he was on when we found him.

He will come off his playstand on his own. got onto the floor once to chase the cats. Poor things had just been sleeping on the floor minding their own business. he also will get onto my nightstand, push my phone and whatnot onto the floor to clear his path to the bed.

He wont try melon for his life. spent a hour eating a melon in front of his stand with him in my lap and all he wanted was the spoon. Poor guy has a orange tint at the moment from playing on my lap while I ate. Sadly, I will and did eat a whole melon in one sitting during this. @.@ He wouldn't even try it! I tried to share, really!

All in all, Zeus has his moments where we see the bird he could be with much more work. These "real bird" moments are happening slowly more often. Came home once to Zeus on the railing of the stairs quite far from his stand of safety. Ever so slowly I am starting to be able to pet him again while he is on his stand. And james can now stroke his hand down his back, Zeus is even taking steps on his own, grabbing James' finger and cleaning under his nail, rubbing his head on james' hand and preening him. I only get preened when he is off the stand where his obsession is to make sure my pants are clean. Sadly, they end up covered in parrot and when he is being very very good, Cheetos.... bad for him? yes, but this bird LOVES cheese. A Cheetos bit once ever so often for progress sounds good to me.

My grandmother is going to be moving in with us in about a month to help care for baby as I can't afford to take any real time of and so two weeks after birth it's back to work part time for me for two months before going back to full time work. Not the best but in a roundabout way I think it probably will be good as we live so far from town I probably wouldn't handle being home with baby 24/7 for too long without going mad. I work with my friends and my family and asking them to make the trip to see me would be crazy.

My grandmother also has a history with birds, she kept an amazon when I was a baby, tiels when I was older and watched the IRN for me when I was married and couch surfing out of town to safe for Arizona. Zeus came with us last time we visited as well so she is aware of his issues. She is disabled and so wouldn't be working much if at all. I hope that having someone home with him will help Zeus grow more comfortable with people. Only downside is she is bringing her cat and two lap dogs. Not worried about the dogs, they are old pups and been around since I was in grade school but the cat has never been around other cats. Zeus has trained an outdoor cat that though Kiki can mess with the ravens outside, Zeus wont take any crap and will use his beak. I'm more worried about how this cat, Rosey will get along with the other two cats. *sigh* We will see, this is only temporary for the next year so Grams can save up to move into her own place in town.

All in all, just over three months left till Baby. Three more months to make the best progress we are going to be able to make with Zeus in a while. I only wish his automatic response to anything unknown wasn't aggression. I daydream of getting a second bird in a few years when Baby is older and James has a good job and I don't need to work. Wouldn't that be nice?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thanks for the update on Zues and you, I am happy everything and everyone is doing good these days.

Haha! I dont blame your dog from running away from Zues, with a beak like his anything should be afraid of him. My sisters Amazon and even my lovie were real possessive of things they could take over. Boomer use to think my desk drawer and our junk drawer were his personal play gym and if we came near him when he was in them he would attack us. I think even boys tend to think they need a special nesting place even if they dont lay eggs. Mangos is the bottom of his cage and no way do you mess with him when he is down there ripping up his paper.

I think having your Grandma come live with you is a great idea and just maybe with her being at home all the time with Zues she can finally get him to accept that people are good and not the enemy. It also will make going back to work a little bit easier knowing your baby is in good hands. I hope her cats get along with you cat because you just never know how cats are going to react when they first meet. One good thing is that your cat is the one who is living there and the other two cats are the ones that are going to need to adjust which I would think make them very timid and shy hopefully at first. How exciting you have 3 months left to go before the baby is born... do you live somewhat close to the hospital? I use to worry about that when I had my child because I am 35 minutes away from the closest town with a hospital but really I ended up having to be induced so that worry wasnt needed.

Cheese isnt so bad as a treat now and then. I give my sisters Amazon a small piece of cheese to get him to go into his cage, he sees the cheese and runs right into it without me having to worry about him biting me.
    Last edited by boomer girl; 03-10-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

I have the two cats, shes just bringing her two little dogs and her cat. Her dogs go with her most everywhere and when they don't they get put in a cage so I'm not worried about them.

I live 24 miles from the hospital. I work right next door to the place so I am going to work till I pop of I can in hopes that I will only have to go next door rather than drive for 45 minutes.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

Oh and I forgot, Zeus has been acting strangely like a bird today! Woke up to him on my nightstand eating one of my fav books. still readable thank goodness! spent the morning playing on the bed than helping me eat my breakfast while James slept. Tried to put him on his stand so I could get dressed and clean as sunday is clean day and he gets off, chases me around trying to climb up my leg, wins the war and I *try* to clean with him. give up after a hour and convince him that he needs to stay put and not preen my clothes for a while.

He is starting to understand what his wings are for and uses them to get from point A to B around the upstairs now. Even caught him playing with some of his toys.

Maybe spring is going to be a turning point for him?

Oh! I have little starts in my garden now! ^_^