Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

How to clean a cockatiel's cage?????

Ok, so today is Cleaning day! Anyway, i need help... How do i clean a tiels cage? Soap? A special product? I clean my bird's perches and bottom of the cage with poop-off. But how do i Clean it.... Like the side bars, The toys, Etc... HELP MEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: How to clean a cockatiel's cage?????

You sure have a beautiful little tiel!! Here's what I do to clean my bird cages, although, I'm sure there may be other and perhaps better ideas.

I remove all of the toys and wipe them off with a mixture of vinegar and hot water. I've never used the "Poop-off". I use either paper towel or old towels because on occasion the color comes off the toys and could stain a good towel. I then take a sponge using the same mixture, and sponge the outside and inside of the cage bars, and take the grate out if you use one and also wash it with the vinegar and water. I take out the food and water cups and wash them also in the vinegar and hot water, and I remove the bottom cage tray and the perches and do the same. I then rearrange all of the toys in the cage after cleaning them. And my cage is all cleaned up and ready for use. I call this a thorough cleaning, which I do about once every 2-3 weeks. And I clean the cage daily also.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Depends on how big the cage is. If it's easy to take apart, best way is to take it into the bath tub. If it isn't, take a CLEAN wash rag, sponge, etc (be careful with sponges as they can harbor bacteria if used for anything else) and use a bird safe non-toxic cleaner. I use vinegar/water and GSE/water, GSE is a non-toxic cleaner that is used in some hospitals when a patient has bleach allergies, it kills a bunch of germs (though, not as many as bleach, so if there is an illness it isn't a good substitute!). Remove all toys, perches, etc and clean them off in a sink or in the tub and clean the bars with your sponge. GSE / water can also be used to clean floors in place of nasty chemical cleaners.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks! I actually just panicked and cleaned cage+toys with warm soapy water, then i dryed it, then i waited an hour for it to dry, NOW he's singing happily Because he's playing with his pinata xD. Also, this GSE, where can i buy this? and is it expensive? Because i HATE using bleach and all those chemicals... The smell disgusts me, And i dont want my bird to be harmed! Well, Thanks!

EDIT: The minute i pressed post my bird flew into the screen... He's alright, but i guess he is saying Thank You! XD

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I bought this stuff called 'AviClean'. It's a non-rinse cage and aviary cleaner and deodorizer. It really works miracles! I even used it on my iguana cage. It's safe for birds and really makes the cages sparkling clean. The poo just wipes off easily.

BTW: I rehomed my iguana to someone who dearly loves him. It's not a good idea to have reptiles and birds together, so I had to choose - the birds or Benji. Fortunately, someone who really knows what he's doing fell in love with Benji!!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I have also used the vinegar and water mix. Like Ellen, that was on a monthly basis. I have cleaned my tiel cages every day. I have used a bleach and warm water solution, but that was when my fids perished. I also had extra food and water bowls and made sure that they were stainless steel. A couple of times a week, I would run them through the dishwasher instead of handwashing them on a daily basis. I agree with Pat and the AviClean. It truly does work miracles. I have seen the product at Petco and Petsmart. You can also find it online at a better price.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

GSE can be found at any pharmacy/health food store, you want for cleaning CITRICIDAL GSE - the non-citricidal is not anti-bacterial. I use http://www.nutribiotic.com/gse-liqui...trate-2oz.html ... yes it costs a lot for a bottle, but I have had one 32oz bottle for 2 years and still have lots left. It also has a lot of other uses, I have a wisdom tooth that is prone to getting infected, so I use it as a mouth wash whenever it is bugging me and clears it right up. Keeps sponges from smelling if you put a few drops of it on them, etc. So worth having around in any case.

I always hated chemical cleaners as well, the bird just gives me an excuse to not buy them that my boyfriend will accept haha - vinegar/water, dish soap/water and GSE/water I use for most my cleaning of the house. I only use bleach in the bathroom and only under lots of ventilation and not very often.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Moved this to the tiel section btw

Budgiegirl14 Brand New Egg
    Name
    Carly
    Thanks

I use Aciclean too!

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Why is it not good to have reptiles and birds together? Can they pass diseases to each other or does the reptile look at the bird and think YUM a snack? I don't have reptiles I was just wondering. My cockatiels neighbors are 2 rats.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Ball View Post
    Why is it not good to have reptiles and birds together? Can they pass diseases to each other or does the reptile look at the bird and think YUM a snack? I don't have reptiles I was just wondering. My cockatiels neighbors are 2 rats.
    The bacteria found on and in reptiles may not harm the reptile in any way, but they can possibly make a bird pretty sick. I've never had a bird get sick from a reptile and I used to rehab both. But, I kept the reptiles far away from the birds. As well, I built the iguana's cage of aviary cloth and the birds loved to land on it. I took the birds off the iguana cage immediately, but I worried about that one time when the iguana might get annoyed.

I had been advised against keeping birds and reptiles together by a Fish and Wildlife agent who I really, really trust. If she says not to do it, I won't do it, plain and simple. She's my guru, so to speak. She rehabs wild birds - started a huge sanctuary for Fish & Wildlife Dept. and was pres. of local Turtle and Tortoise Club for years, and she is the valley raptor expert.