Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New cage and a mirror! Good or Bad?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jenna
    Thanks

New cage and a mirror! Good or Bad?

Hello everyone!

Hope you all are well, and all your little ones are well and healthy!
    My boyfriend and I just got Kiwi a new cage. :]
    It's bigger than the one she was previously in, so we put a little square mirror in there so she doesn't feel too lonely in a bigger living environment.
    It's only been a couple days since she's been in the new place, and she seems very fond of sitting on the perch in front of the mirror. She nibbles at the glass here and there...I wonder if she thinks it's another love?
    Anyway, I'm curious as to whether the mirror and her "new friend in the mirror" will hinder her relationship with her between my boyfriend and I.
    She's already warmed up to us, yet she hates our hands, but will the mirror just distance her from us?

We appreciate the help!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: New cage and a mirror! Good or Bad?

Boomer loved his friend in the mirror, its funny your called it the same thing... and he also loved and adored us. It sounds like your Kiwi is just like boomer was, he would sit in front of it, try to get behind it and most of all loved to dig at the mirror trying to let his friend out from behind it. He had it in his cage for 12 years and never stopped loving it or us so I say let Kiwi keep his friend just because I know how much it was loved here. Others will disagree with me but it was his best friend when he wasnt on us.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My Peach Fronted Conure has had stainless steel mirrors (for safety reasons) and a mirror on the dresser that (and the bathroom) that he loves to look at himself. Also he loves to get on top of the dresser (old style that has mirror on the top of it ) and look at his shadow!

No I don't think it hurts anything. Unless they bite you and never warm up to you. But it didn't hurt my bird bonding with me.

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

I have read that if your bird has not formed a bond with you a mirror should not be placed in the cage :s as they can form a bond with their own reflection. I personally will not put a mirror in my birds cage, I will let him out and let him play with himself with a mirror out side of his cage just until he forms a bond with me. Everyone is different though and has different opinions if you feel it is good for your lovie and he or she is still being them selves with you then the mirror is fine.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

It depends on the bird, honestly - some birds think it is a real bird in there and can become frustrated/aggressive over a mirror. My tiel began excessive regurgitating to his mirror and some birds I know of have tried to mate with the mirror and would bite their owners over protecting their "mate". Other birds are fine and understand it is a toy. My tiel has them outside his cage now because I can't trust him with one inside.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Boomer would regurgitate and rub rub on anything and everything except his mirror friend. We always thought one day he would but he never did. If you decide to put a mirror in it and he changes for the worse then you can just take it out before he gets too attached. One good thing about lovies, especially young ones is they are easy to get them to forget about things because out of sight means its out of there brains and thoughts so they just move onto the next thing to play with.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jenna
    Thanks

Thanks everyone!

Kiwi loves being out with us when we are around. She hates out hands an fingers, she's always been that way. I'm assuming though that she has already bonded with us if she always wants out when we are home? We got the mirror so that she won't be so lonely in a bigger cage, especially when we are both gone. But otherwise it sounds like we are ok on the mirror thing then?

Really thank you all!

Remove Ads