Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Need help with sudden hostility

Kahnee just turned 7 months last week and started doing some different stuff. I suspect that some of it is just because now he's becoming a big boy. But, one thing he does has to stop!

He used to be happy to see everyone who came to my house, and lots of people come here since I manage apartments. Kahnee always acted like the people were here to visit him. Suddenly last week, he started to hide when anyone came in. Well, a few days later, Misty started with the same shyness.

But, 3 days ago, Kahnee started to become aggressive against my grandson. He'll flare his wings and puff his feathers and goes into an attack position anytime he just sees Anthony. Worse, he bites me when he's in this attack stance. And, he nearly draws blood. I still have the marks from a couple days ago.

When Anthony is out of the room, Kahnee is his sweet self. I could understand if he got upset with Anthony, but my problem is he bites ME, as though he is so enraged at seeing Anthony that his mind just makes him bite whatever or whoever is around.

I have lots of experience with birds, but none of my birds ever became hostile toward just one person. I know Anthony didn't harm Kahnee. I'm always around them both.

I sure would appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Need help with sudden hostility

Is it possible he's beginning to sexually mature? My tiel acted that way when he hit puberty over my boyfriend, though he did draw blood.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Yes. He's beginning sexual maturity. How do I know? HAHAHA! He was sitting on my hand and began masturbating - thrusting his hips.

My tiel is also goiing through puberty but all he does is pretend bite - he just squawks and opens his beak like he's attacking, but he does not bite.

So, you went through that with your tiel? Did he get over the biting?

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Yes, it took about two weeks of EXTREME aggression and about an hour of training sessions every day to get him over it. He would dive bomb my boyfriend when he entered the house, attaching himself to the boyfriends lip and clawing/biting until he drew blood. He'd scream his head off if he was in his cage and saw the boyfriend. He started masturbating on my hand too, he had claimed me as his mate and he was NOT accepting any other male to challenge that.

For training when he started using my hand, I put him on something else for rubby time. He learned to use that not me. I also put him in the bedroom, in his cage, as soon as the aggression started and he would scream bloody murder at being left alone. When he stopped screaming, I would go spend time with him, when he started again, I would leave. When he calmed down, he got to come back out to play. IF he was aggressive again, he got locked away again and it started over. After two weeks he calmed enough to be semi-normal again, though it took another several months for him to like the boyfriend again and accept his attention.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thanks, Marie. My little stinker is goofy but I'm glad he hasn't drawn blood - yet.
    When he starts getting aggressive I tried holding him and whispering 'baby baby' to him. I finally had to resort to putting him in his cage.

Something really weird happened an hour ago. The pool contractor came by to get paid and Kahnee was on my shoulder when I answered the door. And, Anthony came over to say hello. So, all 3 of us were kind of surrounding Kahnee and he was very calm and happy with everyone - including Anthony!!! Duh!

You gave me hope that it won't last too long.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Camille
    Thanks

Yeah sounds like he's hitting maturity all right. Starling, my little creamino linnie, turned into a BITING SCREAMING, ATTACKING little witch when she went through it, with the red eyes and all lol Now shes back to being her Kooky little self lol Dont take it personally, is all I have to say lol They will return to being nice again

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

LOL!! I'm looking forward to return to normalcy. And, I sure don't take it personally

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Just thought I'd post an update. Kahnee stopped his aggression against my grandson. All is well and Kahnee's back to his old self!

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Yay, glad he is over it hormones can make them really grumpy!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

He actually visited with strangers that came into my home yesterday, back to his ole self. YAY