Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Unhappy Less than 5 day old baby pigeon fell from nest as I walked by

So of course I had to pick it up. I know most people would have just left it to mother nature, and maybe I should have, but here I am. I live in a city so it would have certainly been eaten by a cat, possum or raccoon come nightfall, or just plain died. I tried looking for the nest above but it was hard to find, as well as out of reach.

I haven't really fed it because I was afraid of giving it the wrong food. I read that youngsters like these can survive off their crop for almost 24 hrs. But I have tried feeding it Carnation Instant Breakfast, lukewarm in a syringe. Wasn't very receptive to it. I didn't force feed it, just left it at the end of its mouth until it eventually swallowed some.

I'm certain it's going to die - it twitches a lot and seems quite frail. Very dark color. When I hold it near my ear to hear its breathing, I can hear a soft clicking noise - dunno if it's got breathing problems.

I've been keeping it under a warm lamp I have, as they need to be kept in 90F temperature - and during the night the best I can do is put it inside a cardboard tube inside another box under the same light. Not as dark as I'd like it to be, but it's the best I can do to imitate nighttime as well as keep it warm.

I also read they need a bit of TLC - a loving voice and touch every now and then. I try not to overdo it since too much handling is also bad. I'll try calling Wildlife Rescue or something in the day tomorrow, but I doubt I'll find anyone of use as my city has enough trouble dealing with stray cats and dogs as it is. Not a very animal-friendly place.

Poor little guy. I apologize if anything or everything I've done was well-intentioned but ultimately dooming for the bird. I tried the best I could with the resources I had. I will post a photo tomorrow.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Smile Re: Less than 5 day old baby pigeon fell from nest as I walked by

UPDATE

This morning I called a few rescue organizations in the general South Fla. region and I was directed to the Pelican Harbor Rescue center. Despite its affiliation, they were very surprisingly more than happy to take in the baby pigeon! They immediately put it on fluids as they cooed over its tinyness. At the center they've got a good amount of pelicans as well as ducks - and even pigeons.

There's no telling if such a young bird will ultimately make it, and I'll have to call later on this month to see how it's doing, but this is definitely the best that could've happened for it. Hooray for a happy ending!

PS: No pictures

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Less than 5 day old baby pigeon fell from nest as I walked by

I am happy your found a rescue to take this little one to, it was the best thing you could do for it. Your a wonderfull person for caring enough to help it out, not many people would do it like you said.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I'm glad you found a rescue to take it, I couldn't have just walked past either. Hope the baby makes it, you gave it the best shot it could have.

First Clutch Hatching... maxollie's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Aww. You are a true "Samaritan", for picking up that little chick and bringing it into your home. And, you sure used common sense by calling the Rescue Center. There is do doubt the little bird would have not survived with all of the animal predators around. Thank you so much for giving this little guy a chance to live. I'm so happy you found a good home for the baby.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

You did the best you could. AT least you helped the bird and called a resuce.